Mega Thread News of the Day / Interesting Articles & Links

Remove this Banner Ad

I would say they could be picked up by people wanting to write more about them. But threads with links and not much else usually end up with a string of 'Yeah, and?' snarky responses.

If you see an article you'd like to create a thread with, please do so.

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
Yeah these are the ones that hit you when you read them.
Would be very few parents or grandparents who haven't had a kid "disappear" momentarily,or almost make it onto the road etc.
Speaking to a Mum last night saying her 6 year old had got her 2x,once for almost 20mins.She also said the wetlands/lakes all over Perth's suburbs are a real worry with little'uns.
Not restricted to Perth and you can't fence them.
Just a god-awful piece of s**t circumstance.

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
Pretty sure it's shoddy dairy practise allowing faeces into the moo-juice and not the moo-juice per se.
Have drunk hundreds of litres straight from well run dairy operations.

I punched the dash when I heard the news, not that I was that invested, but just a really s**t outcome for the parents and a horrific way to end a young life.
Definitely no universal plan in such tragedy.

Would be very few parents or grandparents who haven't had a kid "disappear" momentarily,or almost make it onto the road etc.
Speaking to a Mum last night saying her 6 year old had got her 2x,once for almost 20mins.She also said the wetlands/lakes all over Perth's suburbs are a real worry with little'uns.
Not restricted to Perth and you can't fence them.
Just a god-awful piece of s**t circumstance.
My sister went missing for a while when we lived in Merimbula. An old lady at the retirement home found her and took her in. Gave her milk and didn't call the cops for about an hour!

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
Once found a little kid, probably not even two, wandering the road. Took him to the Police Station just around the corner where a very relieved mum came to get him.

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
Part of the horror of coincidence that no-one saw a young distinctive kid,reportedly none too steady on his pins travel 800 metres alone toward a lake in suburbia.

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
True pasteurisation gives you a guarantee a hygienically run dairy cannot offer.
But if the dairy's run properly you won't contaminate the moo-juice with poop.
I have barred my wife from bringing the 'bath milk' into the house.:D

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Part of the horror of coincidence that no-one saw a young distinctive kid,reportedly none too steady on his pins travel 800 metres alone toward a lake in suburbia.
An autopsy will obviously take place to rule out possibility of foul play. But I have a friend who has an autistic toddler. Apparently they are fascinated by water. And I was told only parents could understand the ability for someone that age to go walkabouts without proper supervision.

I'll begin..

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...150961913?sv=18dec2901850d7dd1a81a4f3f29887cf

Can someone please explain how a little slide like that is worth $10,000 ?? Christ.. What a ridiculous ripoff. No wonder council rates are so high.

Why are these things not worth their own thread?
That link wasn't worth an entire thread to itself. There are often times people want to mention things or discuss something that's in the news of the day but not worthy of an entire thread. We also have a rule (5a), that we stick to pretty strictly, regarding opening of threads with nothing more than a link to a news article. This thread serves as a place to dump those links.

As Chief said, if you think something is worth its own thread, then feel free to create one :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
That link wasn't worth an entire thread to itself. There are often times people want to mention things or discuss something that's in the news of the day but not worthy of an entire thread. We also have a rule (5a), that we stick to pretty strictly, regarding opening of threads with nothing more than a link to a news article. This thread serves as a place to dump those links.

As Chief said, if you think something is worth its own thread, then feel free to create one :)
If I create a thread on the Perth toddler now, it will just get closed with "This is being discussed in the news today thread", or it will attract little discussion because people feel they've already had their say.

I really don't get the current BigFooty obsession with minimising how many threads there are. Does Chief have to pay for them all individually or something? The Cricket tour of UAE against Pakistan (ODI's and Tests) was al restricted to one thread, whereas we used to have a new one for every day of a Test match! It doesn't matter if something which is not major news gets a thread which is all done in fifteen posts.

Seems to be an assumption that everyone is in a thread right from the start and keep up with it as it goes along. in fact it's a pain in the arse trying to guess if/where something might be if you're not there as it happens. Take this thread - I won't be checking it all the time just in case something interesting happens (but not interesting enough for a separate thread), and then when something interesting does happen but I don't happen to be on BigFooty until later on that day or the next, I won't be coming in and try to work out if discussion of that thing is on page 156 or 178 or not at all or mixed in among discussion of something completely unrelated.

Anyway, rant over.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

In the horrific murder of that toddler in liverpool years bsck, two older boys taking a small child through communal areas with plenty of people about and no intervention was the most telling. They were being mean to him and abusing him the whole time.
That was more why that community was shocked maybe as much as the actual violent murder.

Look at beinng in a supermarket when parents and kids are in dispute loudly. Some people will be sympathetic to the kids, some just want to get the hell away from them, and some just dont care

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
If I create a thread on the Perth toddler now, it will just get closed with "This is being discussed in the news today thread", or it will attract little discussion because people feel they've already had their say.

I really don't get the current BigFooty obsession with minimising how many threads there are. Does Chief have to pay for them all individually or something? The Cricket tour of UAE against Pakistan (ODI's and Tests) was al restricted to one thread, whereas we used to have a new one for every day of a Test match! It doesn't matter if something which is not major news gets a thread which is all done in fifteen posts.

Seems to be an assumption that everyone is in a thread right from the start and keep up with it as it goes along. in fact it's a pain in the arse trying to guess if/where something might be if you're not there as it happens. Take this thread - I won't be checking it all the time just in case something interesting happens (but not interesting enough for a separate thread), and then when something interesting does happen but I don't happen to be on BigFooty until later on that day or the next, I won't be coming in and try to work out if discussion of that thing is on page 156 or 178 or not at all or mixed in among discussion of something completely unrelated.

Anyway, rant over.

I never go the fact that anything mildly religious used to get whacked into the god thread with can I say religious zeal

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
On a funny note I once met the people who owned the childcare centre we used by chance in a social context. We were in a plaza and a shopkeeper came out of her shop and said does anyone own this child ? It was the childcare owners child and had wandered into the back room of a shop.

I laughed and said 'dont tell them you run childcare'

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I mused the other day that now when an australian citizen travels to that place in syria they 'qualify' for 25 years jail in australia, which to the letter of the law is a political prisoner
The law doesnt require that they actually commit terrorist acts for this privelidge.

That means were the person then to go to a third country, they could claim political asylum because if they were to be sent to australia, they would be locked up for political beliefs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back