hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
I was just looking at the Kangaroos section of the AFL website, and this story appeared in the Sunday Times (either Tas or WA based) on Thrusday 28 December. That doesn't make any sense, but here is the story in it's full context:

KANGAROOS coach Denis Pagan has handed Digby Morrell and Rod Tregenza an open ticket into next year's Ansett Cup if his prize WA rookies complete rigorous training requirements next month.

The two-times Roos premiership coach has indicated that some of his biggest names, including Wayne Carey and Corey McKernan, will miss the summer round-robin competition.

Pagan has seen little of Tregenza at East Fremantle and Morrell from West Perth, who were snapped up by the Roos at this week's rookie draft.

''I'm backing our recruiting department on this one,'' he said.

''I said we wanted ready-to-play forwards and our recruiting manager Neville Stibbard has backed these boys to fulfil our requirements.''

Morrell and Tregenza have been given a guarantee of two years with the Roos. They will play with the Murray Kangaroos VFL team while waiting for the big break to join the senior list.

Tregenza, 21, has topped WA's goalkicking list for the past two years. He booted 10 goals and won the Simpson Medal in the State game against Tasmania in 1998.

Morrell, also 21, was the Falcons' prime scorer in 2000 with the departure of powerful full-forward Troy Wilson to East Perth.

A matter-of-fact Pagan said: ''It's up to these guys to show us that they are good enough to play AFL football with our club.''

let's hope that they're over 187 cms! Obviously we have a vacant spot on our list that one of those blokes might be able to fill.

So, these guys will be joining Mark Stevens, Scott Welsh, Evan Hewitt, Kent Kingsley, Jason Daniltchenko, and Julian Kirzner in that Burmuda triangle known as "the alternate tall marking option in the North forward line"
wink.gif

North Melbourne/Kangaroos have scored big time with Digby Morrell and Rod Tregenza. There are huge wraps for Morrell from West Perth and although Tregenza is in his mid 20s I believe, he was a good forward option for East Fremantle winning the goalkicking.

Tregenza was great at Westar level and played well in the wa game he played but I am not convinced he will go that well in AFL. He did lead the goalkicking but also struggled and when he struggles he really struggles. Could be wrong though, he may be a great player. Only time will tell. I haven't really heard that much about morrell but I did see him a couple of times on the telly and he seemed to be pretty good.

Let's just hope that they are late starters. Who knows maybe the club are thinking long term ? ie: Post Rocca days...

Shinboners,

I thought Scott Welsh was good value, and was the type of player that we missed on our forward line last year.

Yeah, Welsh was a good player and he moved to Adelaide for personal reasons, not because of underachievement. I think he kicked about 50 goals for Adelaide in 2000 and would've made a heap of difference for us in 2000 if he was still at Arden Street. But the question remains, why haven't we found any replacements for the likes of Crocker, Longmire, and Roberts?

Unfortunately players like Kingsley and Hewitt weren't able to come through with any real consistency. Lange has emerged and we have got to hope a couple more do this year (given that we have lost Sholl as well).

I would not place too much emphasis on this article as the WA press is looking for some interest for its readers ,and Dennis is cheesed off he was not allowed a pre-season draft pick.

To me the rookie list is like weeds in my garden. I hope that God will turn them into flowering shrubs, but deep down I know that inevitably I will have to get rid of them!!!!

warrior

Remove this Banner Ad

Back