Newspaper pay-wall effect on sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
NYJets, Australia
The Herald Sun introduced the pay-wall on their site a number of months ago, and the Fairfax newspapers will be introducing it early 2013.

At the Herald Sun you can notice that pretty much all the football articles are behind the wall.
What effect do you see these walls having on football media and reading habits??

I guarantee the readership at the Herald Sun has decreased and people have found other sources. Sources I have come across are:

BigFootynews
afl.com.au
TheAge.com.au
http://www.abc.net.au/news/sport/afl/
FootballNation.com.au
blacktownadvocate.com.au <- GWS news
geelongadvertiser.com.au <- Geelong news
foxsports.com.au

others?????

On a side note, I see this affecting rugby league significantly more than football. News sources for football seem to be much much broader than those for league (largely DT based).

I don't even know why would you even worry about Rugby league.

I'm kind of lucky in that the place I work offers free newspapers, so I get pretty much what I need there. I think forums like these are becoming more and more acceptable as a way of getting news too. The close contact with the clubs ensures we get up to date news pretty quickly.

Of course Facebook is a great way to get info too.

I dont see too many people paying for what is mostly crap from the HUN and to a lesser degree the Age.

There will me many new sites spring up to challenge News Limited and Fairfax and their newspapers will slowly die over the next 10- 20 years with many forms of social media taking their place.

Do any of you guys ever pay for a paper?

Thousands of jobs are going in the newspaper world because the world is changing & there is no such thing as a free lunch.

How do you expect to get journalism of any quality at all for nothing? Its easy for anyone to top & tail a press release, but you will only hear what they want you to hear - in a world where footy journos need AFL accreditation & the AFL increasing the size of its media arm, footy journos will move even closer to the Canberra press gallery in their independence.

You get nothing for nothing in this world.

I can add a free source for you, the West from WA, a part of Kerry Stokes stable so the Yahoo tag:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/

Do any of you guys ever pay for a paper?

Thousands of jobs are going in the newspaper world because the world is changing & there is no such thing as a free lunch.

How do you expect to get journalism of any quality at all for nothing? Its easy for anyone to top & tail a press release, but you will only hear what they want you to hear - in a world where footy journos need AFL accreditation & the AFL increasing the size of its media arm, footy journos will move even closer to the Canberra press gallery in their independence.

You get nothing for nothing in this world.

I can add a free source for you, the West from WA, a part of Kerry Stokes stable so the Yahoo tag:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/

I occasionally buy the AFR, and also The Age/SMH/Herald Sun when flying.

Why is it just footy that seems to have everything behind the pay wall? Why not every sport as well? AFL site for me these days.

Why is it just footy that seems to have everything behind the pay wall? Why not every sport as well? AFL site for me these days.

AFL sites a safe better, but you can access all the superfooty stuff through the Adelaidenow website - or any non Heraldsun news ltd (australia) site. So no real lose untilthey paywall all the footy stuff.

Isnt the herald sun losing money as they are not getting the subscription numbers they forecast?

Ill pay when I run out of free options

Which is the thought of most people. However there is a need for professional journalists to attend press conferences, and media events to cover it all. This needs to be paid for somehow.

News Corp (the global owner of News Limited) has decided to use Melbourne as its test case world wide. Apparently it is because Melbourne is one of the most hooked on markets due to its love of football.
They will be testing out football as it was the most popular articles before the lockout.

Isnt the herald sun losing money as they are not getting the subscription numbers they forecast?

Exactly. News should be free, and there are plenty of other sources for us to get our football news. Its pretty obvious that Melbourne is more passionate about football tan any other Australian region is about any sport full stop. Because of this I fear for other sports where the passion is not so widespread ... where will they get their news sources from???
The AFL has stepped up for us football fans. Im guessing like me, you get your AFL news from a few different sources??

AFL sites a safe better, but you can access all the superfooty stuff through the Adelaidenow website - or any non Heraldsun news ltd (australia) site. So no real lose untilthey paywall all the footy stuff.
Adelaidenow began redirecting Herald Sun footy stories to the Herald Sun website short after the pay wall :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats categorically not true. You can literally go to Adelaidenow - > Sport -> Superfooty and read pretty much any article that is published in the heraldsuns footy section.
wow you're bloody right! First time I've tried it in months and the whole article shows up. But I do remember that there used to be a a link underneath the first and only paragraph of the article saying "to read the full story on the Herald Sun click here" that's what turned me away from it.

Thats categorically not true. You can literally go to Adelaidenow - > Sport -> Superfooty and read pretty much any article that is published in the heraldsuns footy section.

I have a feeling that eventually all of these news sites will be consolidated into one main site (perhaps under news.com.au). This will allow access to stories from all states. The newspapers will probably go national when readership drops as well. The fixed costs associated with running a separate news agency for each state will be too great.

Run that again Trixie, something they gave away for nothing before they started charging .... you are suggesting no one has subscribed cos only one subscription, one only, is better than nil isnt it?

He's pretty clearly a severely ASD kid who should've been banned long ago if the mods cared for his welfare.

Whoa thanks mate!!
Since you are interested, I spend most of my time in Sydney, and also a fair bit of time in QLD. Because of that I am swamped by NRL news constantly. When assessing anything most people compare it to something they know alot about.

I have lived overseas now for nearly 10 years and only have access to the online version. How can they expect us to pay for it when I can't even watch most of their video content as it requires BigPond bullsh!te.

I understand why they are doing it but if I am to pay for it, I sure as shite want access to everything. I emailed them and surprisingly have not replied, but they do keep sending me emails asking me to sign up....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back