nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
Yeah, the argument that the AFL is not technically a for profit privately owned corporation is naive.

There is a huge profit driven industry built up around it. Therefore commercial decisions are first and foremost and that's what guides decision making and hires, not "stewardship of the game" or even fan sentiment, if it's not being expressed in gain/loss of revenue for the AFL and various interested parties, like apparel and betting companies, stadium management, advertisers, media companies, online rights holders etc.

Spot on!!! And anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. The AFL Commission and Executive are whores beholden to the corporates. Revenue is first and foremost the driver for ALL that they do.

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
He would be hard to dislodge. His family are old rural money and deeply entrenched within the LNP, so he has a tonne of political connections. Likewise, he is deeply embedded within the media industry based on his time at 7.

Negotiating TV rights would have been a huge part of why he got the job.
Plus his ability to deliver Adelaide Oval - that was the clincher

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
For all his faults, Gil at least seems to want to listen to the average fan, unlike Demetriou.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah, the argument that the AFL is not technically a for profit privately owned corporation is naive.

There is a huge profit driven industry built up around it. Therefore commercial decisions are first and foremost and that's what guides decision making and hires, not "stewardship of the game" or even fan sentiment, if it's not being expressed in gain/loss of revenue for the AFL and various interested parties, like apparel and betting companies, stadium management, advertisers, media companies, online rights holders etc.
We all know that the AFL only does things for profit and brand protection.
I have said before i i will say it again. The players welfare in secondary to profit for the AFL.
They have measures in place for when players have drug and drink and mental health problems, but people are deluded if they think them measures are to take care of the players. Those measures are there first and foremost to protect the AFL brand.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The AFL have banned four people from the footy for 5 years for fighting, good. But last year three thugs beat up on an older man after a Richmond final. Apparently the thugs were sons of ‘prominent, important’ people? And we haven’t heard anything since. The AFL seems to me, a private school old boys clic? Their salaries are way over inflated, Mickey Mouse could probably run the greatest game in the world. It was here before they came, and will continue long after they’re gone because it’s a great people’s game.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I think we've seen enough from Gil, his lack of support for Adam Goodes, AFLX, the bunker, the au pair, his friendship with Peter Dutton, selling the soul of Australian Rules to advertisers and branding brainwashers.
Look at what happens when you create a team out of nothingness, Gold Coast- embarrasing, GWS- damaged the reputation of Grand Final day and have very few real supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I think we've seen enough from Gil, his lack of support for Adam Goodes, AFLX, the bunker, the au pair, his friendship with Peter Dutton, selling the soul of Australian Rules to advertisers and branding brainwashers.
Look at what happens when you create a team out of nothingness, Gold Coast- embarrasing, GWS- damaged the reputation of Grand Final day and have very few real supporters.

& his by-line will be the sleazy GF deal with the MCC.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
& his by-line will be the sleazy GF deal with the MCC.
I don’t understand what the big drama is with the grand final deal I know it sucks a bit for interstate clubs having to travel but the crowds are generally pretty neutral and unless the other states want to go and build 100k stadiums then it’s always going to be there I recon the the majority of players playing in gfinals want to play on the g

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I don’t understand what the big drama is with the grand final deal I know it sucks a bit for interstate clubs having to travel but the crowds are generally pretty neutral and unless the other states want to go and build 100k stadiums then it’s always going to be there I recon the the majority of players playing in gfinals want to play on the g

So 100k at the GF is the sole reason you can come up with. Merit is fine for the other finals, but the biggest game of all, both teams that get there earn it ... 25k join a bloody cricket club.
Pretty neutral, OK if you say so.
Of course players love playing at the G, all love playing at home.

As for the sleaze, the encumbents got together & came away with a deal that suited the status quo - why the close the door, great politics by the Vic Premier, he was the winner.

velona

Debutant
Apr 28, 2013
So 100k at the GF is the sole reason you can come up with. Merit is fine for the other finals, but the biggest game of all, both teams that get there earn it ... 25k join a bloody cricket club.
Pretty neutral, OK if you say so.
Of course players love playing at the G, all love playing at home.

The Grand Final carnival including all the corporate marquees with the thousands upon thousands of corporates paying 4-10k per ticket to attend the GF is the sole reason the grand final is and always will be in melbourne.

You would never achieve the same patronage from corporate outside of melbourne, and the AFL would probably lose at least $50m if they moved it anywhere else. Just ain’t going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Because he'll restore the competition back to its order by returning Essendon to its former powerhouse status.
Obvious reason is obvious.

Also, he did a pretty good job from an off-field perspective with Essendon after probably the worst period in any club's history so I think he can do a great job turning the AFL around. Xavier or Brendon Gale would be my pick.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Because he'll restore the competition back to its order by returning Essendon to its former powerhouse status.
Obvious reason is obvious.

Also, he did a pretty good job from an off-field perspective with Essendon after probably the worst period in any club's history so I think he can do a great job turning the AFL around. Xavier or Brendon Gale would be my pick.
Gale in Hockings job would be good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back