Next AFL CEO - jungle drums for Gil?

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
Yeah, the argument that the AFL is not technically a for profit privately owned corporation is naive.

There is a huge profit driven industry built up around it. Therefore commercial decisions are first and foremost and that's what guides decision making and hires, not "stewardship of the game" or even fan sentiment, if it's not being expressed in gain/loss of revenue for the AFL and various interested parties, like apparel and betting companies, stadium management, advertisers, media companies, online rights holders etc.
Spot on!!! And anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. The AFL Commission and Executive are whores beholden to the corporates. Revenue is first and foremost the driver for ALL that they do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ShadeyP

Club Legend
AFL Club
Adelaide
He would be hard to dislodge. His family are old rural money and deeply entrenched within the LNP, so he has a tonne of political connections. Likewise, he is deeply embedded within the media industry based on his time at 7.

Negotiating TV rights would have been a huge part of why he got the job.
Plus his ability to deliver Adelaide Oval - that was the clincher

AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah, the argument that the AFL is not technically a for profit privately owned corporation is naive.

There is a huge profit driven industry built up around it. Therefore commercial decisions are first and foremost and that's what guides decision making and hires, not "stewardship of the game" or even fan sentiment, if it's not being expressed in gain/loss of revenue for the AFL and various interested parties, like apparel and betting companies, stadium management, advertisers, media companies, online rights holders etc.
We all know that the AFL only does things for profit and brand protection.
I have said before i i will say it again. The players welfare in secondary to profit for the AFL.
They have measures in place for when players have drug and drink and mental health problems, but people are deluded if they think them measures are to take care of the players. Those measures are there first and foremost to protect the AFL brand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freshwater

Club Legend
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The AFL have banned four people from the footy for 5 years for fighting, good. But last year three thugs beat up on an older man after a Richmond final. Apparently the thugs were sons of ‘prominent, important’ people? And we haven’t heard anything since. The AFL seems to me, a private school old boys clic? Their salaries are way over inflated, Mickey Mouse could probably run the greatest game in the world. It was here before they came, and will continue long after they’re gone because it’s a great people’s game.

Top Bottom