Next Aussie T20 captain ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Finch has now officially retired , would be interested to see everyone's thoughts on the next skipper ?

Hazlewood, Zampa, Maxwell, Smith, Turner, Head, Carey, Cummins, etc ??

I wouldn't let Marsh near the captaincy.

Mitch is a "see ball hit ball' type of player.
I don't think the burden of captaincy would help him.
Led the Aussie U19 squad to world cup victory in 2010 when he was the captain, I think he's matured a lot too since then and would do well if he focuses purely on white ball cricket.

Led the Aussie U19 squad to world cup victory in 2010 when he was the captain, I think he's matured a lot too since then and would do well if he focuses purely on white ball cricket.
There's hardly any media or stress involved with captaining under 18 and 19 cricket.
The captain is quite often just the best player.

Just let him play without the stress that comes with the captaincy IMO.

Maxwell or Turner I reckon. Let Marsh continue to play freely IMO. Head would be a contender but needs to perform in the format before getting a game in the national team IMO

Maxwell and Finch seem like they are quite similar sort of captains

I mean, he's the WA captain. And been doing lots of media work while injured. Reckon he gets a bad rap as a tactician.
He's just come off probably his best year 18 months of cricket in the white ball stuff.
Why make it harder for him?

I remember Mitch as captain of the Scorchers and we were defending a real small total and had the opposition 4 for not many,
when he took Dorf and Richo off.
That was the game.

Here's one for you.
Who would you rather have captain the Scorchers, Marsh or Turner?
Turner is a no brainer for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's just come off probably his best year 18 months of cricket in the white ball stuff.
Why make it harder for him?

I remember Mitch as captain of the Scorchers and we were defending a real small total and had the opposition 4 for not many,
when he took Dorf and Richo off.
That was the game.

Here's one for you.
Who would you rather have captain the Scorchers, Marsh or Turner?
Turner is a no brainer for me.
Turner. But Turner is no walk-up start to the Australian side, Marsh is.

I hate to say it because he is a Scorcher, but it has to be Turner. A classy middle order batter who should be in the team anyway and one of the better T20 captains going round.

I hate to say it because he is a Scorcher, but it has to be Turner. A classy middle order batter who should be in the team anyway and one of the better T20 captains going round.
While watching the BBL this year I started noticing that Turner was very very good at manipulating the dimensions of Perth Stadium (short boundaries straight and to fine leg). So I started looking in to his scores this season at Perth compared to everywhere else.

At Perth Stadium this season he averaged 65 with a strike rate of 165. Everywhere else he averaged 14 with a strike rate of 115.

I thought that maybe was just variance so I then looked at his career. At Perth Stadium for his career he averages 37 at a strike rate of 147. Everywhere else he averages 20 at a strike rate of 137.

You add that to his T20I record (18 matches, avg 12, sr 84) and I think it starts to paint a picture as to why he may not be a successful batter at international level.

I'm not adverse to him playing for the national team again but I think it would be unwise to think he'd replicate what he does for the Scorchers at international level.

While watching the BBL this year I started noticing that Turner was very very good at manipulating the dimensions of Perth Stadium (short boundaries straight and to fine leg). So I started looking in to his scores this season at Perth compared to everywhere else.

At Perth Stadium this season he averaged 65 with a strike rate of 165. Everywhere else he averaged 14 with a strike rate of 115.

I thought that maybe was just variance so I then looked at his career. At Perth Stadium for his career he averages 37 at a strike rate of 147. Everywhere else he averages 20 at a strike rate of 137.

You add that to his T20I record (18 matches, avg 12, sr 84) and I think it starts to paint a picture as to why he may not be a successful batter at international level.

I'm not adverse to him playing for the national team again but I think it would be unwise to think he'd replicate what he does for the Scorchers at international level.
I think Turner is a great captain. He's such a cool head that even after kinda being run out by Hobson, which most thought would cost us the BBL final, he remained calm, encouraged Hobson, and told him he could do this before walking off. But there is a big difference between domestic T20 and international T20. There's no guarantee Turner will be able to step up and carry on like he did in his last three innings. If you're gonna pick a captain, it has to be someone who is definitely going to be in the team. That means Marsh, Zampa or Head, for mine.

I'd be happy for Turner to get a recall and offer support to whoever is captaining.

I think Turner is a great captain. He's such a cool head that even after kinda being run out by Hobson, which most thought would cost us the BBL final, he remained calm, encouraged Hobson, and told him he could do this before walking off. But there is a big difference between domestic T20 and international T20. There's no guarantee Turner will be able to step up and carry on like he did in his last three innings. If you're gonna pick a captain, it has to be someone who is definitely going to be in the team. That means Marsh, Zampa or Head, for mine.

I'd be happy for Turner to get a recall and offer support to whoever is captaining.
I'd have Maxwell way in front of Zampa, Marsh and Head.

Glen Maxwell is 34, coming off a broken leg and has been in pretty dire form a while now. He needs to turn his form around or he might not even be in the team soon, has been selected on past form for a while now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back