Next Australian Captain?

Next captain?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Give it to Cummins, get Usman in for the first few tests at least to help him through, hopefully Ussie scores runs in the first 2 tests he stays on for the series. Easy. At the very least, as least Usman will be in the squad and he can guide Cummins through behind the scenes.

Waugh, Border, Ponting, Taylor - all made captain in their 30’s.

But ok…
Border was 29, Taylor was 29, Ponting was 29 and Waugh 31 but had captained in ODIs for a year or two before then.

At best he would have three years before retirement, and that's assuming they think he is in the first XI - which they haven't done for two years.

It's laughable to even suggest it.

Border was 29, Taylor was 29, Ponting was 29 and Waugh 31 but had captained in ODIs for a year or two before then.

At best he would have three years before retirement, and that's assuming they think he is in the first XI - which they haven't done for two years.

It's laughable to even suggest it.

It was laughable at one stage to suggest Tim Paine (who was in his thirties when given the captaincy, coincidentally), and now, in hindsight, even more laughable given he had the ticking time bomb of this scandal over him. But it happened.

Usman is a hell of a lot more capable cricketer than Paine ever was. Remember that test he saved for us against Pakistan?

The only thing Paine has done is lost us tests. Cost us a spot in the world test championship final when he wasn’t able to do the simple task of keeping up with the required over rate. Lost us ashes tests with horrible decision making. Embarrassed the nation with his sledging conduct and own horrible individual performances just last summer against India in the worst home series lost in living memory for many. Like he’s embarrassed the nation again.

Age is irrelevant at this time when we need someone level headed and capable. And Usman is the most capable, intelliegent active captain in the country at the moment.

Last edited:
Tendulkar, Atherton, Faf, Dravid all cheated too and they never lost their jobs over it. Smith has served his penalty, get over it and stop acting like he was the only one that ever did it.
He is the only Australian captain (that I know) that did it. We should be holding our players to higher standards than other countries.

Ussie is only going to be there short term, if at all. Head may end up winning that race, and he's probably the only real leader candidate with experience. It's just he isn't established at all. I really don't like fast bowlers as captains, not only do they break down pretty regularly, thinking about bowling changes and fielding moves as Cummins steams in to bowl isn't going to help us.

I want it to be Marnus, but I think they'll go Cummins.

As expected Pat Cummins is our new national skipper. Congrats Pattie.. a huge honor. Plenty here wont like that Smith has been given the v/c role tho. Lets hope that is all. Personally I'd have preferred it went to Marnus with a view to taking over the top job in the not too distant future.

It was laughable at one stage to suggest Tim Paine (who was in his thirties when given the captaincy, coincidentally), and now, in hindsight, even more laughable given he had the ticking time bomb of this scandal over him. But it happened.

Usman is a hell of a lot more capable cricketer than Paine ever was. Remember that test he saved for us against Pakistan?

The only thing Paine has done is lost us tests. Cost us a spot in the world test championship final when he wasn’t able to do the simple task of keeping up with the required over rate. Lost us ashes tests with horrible decision making. Embarrassed the nation with his sledging conduct and own horrible individual performances just last summer against India in the worst home series lost in living memory for many. Like he’s embarrassed the nation again.

Age is irrelevant at this time when we need someone level headed and capable. And Usman is the most capable, intelliegent active captain in the country at the moment.
Tim Paine was a Future Australian Captain for much of his life.

Look, I really like Khawaja. I particularly loved his interventions against Langer, et al in the Amazon documentary, standing up for what he believed in. But there is zero chance a 35 year old who hasn't played for Australia for two years will be our next captain.

You're wasting your time even thinking about it.

As expected Pat Cummins is our new national skipper. Congrats Pattie.. a huge honor. Plenty here wont like that Smith has been given the v/c role tho. Lets hope that is all. Personally I'd have preferred it went to Marnus with a view to taking over the top job in the not too distant future.
Where have you heard this?

It seems a little to me that we haven't made especially a lot of ground in this space since the South Efrican "unpleasantness". Either break with tradition (bowler) or someone not necessarily guaranteed to be in the team / miscellaneous personality things.

Pick the established player with the closest skill stack and go from there I reckon.

Anyway, The "Simmo" option in the poll. I assume this is a nod the Simpson coming out of retirement to lead the ACB XI after WSC took the best players?
So, going with that, who would be the modern "Simmo"?
  • Ponting?
  • Clarke?
  • Ian Chappell?
And who is presenting as the next possible Graham Yallop?

It seems a little to me that we haven't made especially a lot of ground in this space since the South Efrican "unpleasantness". Either break with tradition (bowler) or someone not necessarily guaranteed to be in the team / miscellaneous personality things.

Pick the established player with the closest skill stack and go from there I reckon.

Anyway, The "Simmo" option in the poll. I assume this is a nod the Simpson coming out of retirement to lead the ACB XI after WSC took the best players?
So, going with that, who would be the modern "Simmo"?
  • Ponting?
  • Clarke?
  • Ian Chappell?
And who is presenting as the next possible Graham Yallop?
Warnie, just ask him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can picture it now the ACB doing a thorough investigation on the candidates to make sure there’s no skeletons in anyones closet that can be brought up in the future going as far back as their primary school years lol.

You could make a case against everyone. We don’t have many good options at all.
Smith? Served his time but public backlash.
Why is Lyon incapable of being a captain? Tactics are hopeless?
Cummins will be the man but doesn’t strike me as a captain, will probably get rested for a game.
From the outside Labs just doesn’t seem to demand the respect required of his peers. They don’t take him seriously enough.

We could bring in an unestablished player and just say here is the captaincy. Back them in because I believe Head and Carey are quite capable of performing the role.

It's perhaps indicative of the lack of depth since Ponting stood down as captain that we've ended up in the decidedly unAustralian position of having previous captains playing under their replacement. Potentially on the first morning of the Ashes we could have we could have two former captains in the side and I doubt that's happened to often in our history.

Tim Paine was a Future Australian Captain for much of his life.

Look, I really like Khawaja. I particularly loved his interventions against Langer, et al in the Amazon documentary, standing up for what he believed in. But there is zero chance a 35 year old who hasn't played for Australia for two years will be our next captain.

You're wasting your time even thinking about it.

Yeh you’re right. He has absolutely next to no chance. I still think he’d be a good captain.

Not a huge fan of a bowler being test captain. Especially when we live in an age where bowlers need to be rotated.

This puts him at risk of playing through injury because he is test captain.

Cummins is not rotated in tests. It will be the same as usual, he just won't play white ball through heavy schedules. The captaincy + carrying the attack (Starc & Lyon) is the issue for mine. Pray it doesn't affect his bowling.

if the only issue is ball tampering smith should be right back as skipper but he was a weak leader and an ordinary tactician long before any of that, forgiving him and moving on from cape town wont make him any less of an ordinary skipper in the future.

Ussie is only going to be there short term, if at all. Head may end up winning that race, and he's probably the only real leader candidate with experience. It's just he isn't established at all. I really don't like fast bowlers as captains, not only do they break down pretty regularly, thinking about bowling changes and fielding moves as Cummins steams in to bowl isn't going to help us.

I want it to be Marnus, but I think they'll go Cummins.
Who’s the fast bowlers you can name that have captained? That you’ve seen. Cummins has been a rock since returning to the test side. I don’t remember him missing a test. You’d be resting him for the ODI and not letting him play T20 at all

Back