bren_gc

Senior List
Sep 12, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
It seems as though we are destined for midfielders with our first 2 picks on saturday, and MM has allegedly commented that X-El is a cert for pick # 2, so my question is:
If we pick X-El with #2 and assuming carlton go for Hurn with pick #4 who would you like to pick as the next best mid at #5. Word suggests Thomas and Pfieffer are in the running. So who would you take and why?
I havent seen enough of these guys to comment. Also, do you think your pick would get a solid run in the midfield next year? Or would it be spent in FP/HFF/Wing learning the trade and gaining fitness.
And if your pick were Thomas, do you believe he has what it takes to be a constant midfielder?

bren_gc said:
It seems as though we are destined for midfielders with our first 2 picks on saturday, and MM has allegedly commented that X-El is a cert for pick # 2, so my question is:
If we pick X-El with #2 and assuming carlton go for Hurn with pick #4 who would you like to pick as the next best mid at #5. Word suggests Thomas and Pfieffer are in the running. So who would you take and why?
I havent seen enough of these guys to comment. Also, do you think your pick would get a solid run in the midfield next year? Or would it be spent in FP/HFF/Wing learning the trade and gaining fitness.
And if your pick were Thomas, do you believe he has what it takes to be a constant midfielder?

I have heard big news that thomas will be picked up with pick 5 by use guys.

Now i might be wrong but we'll see come saturday.......

1. Hurn - Likely to become a big strong centreman with a great kick.

2. Thomas - Flair and pace. Query as to whether this will translate to midfield, but rumoured interest suggests that these concerns aren't big ones.

3. Muston - Injury was accident related, as opposed to weak knees. Likely to slide from almost certain top 5er, but just how far?

FIGJAM said:
1. Hurn - Likely to become a big strong centreman with a great kick.

2. Thomas - Flair and pace. Query as to whether this will translate to midfield, but rumoured interest suggests that these concerns aren't big ones.

3. Muston - Injury was accident related, as opposed to weak knees. Likely to slide from almost certain top 5er, but just how far?

wel considering teh op didnt go as well as planned im guessing outside teh top 10 hopefully far enough so that we can pick him up at 21?!:)

ben davies will get a crack 1st then possibly ellis,thomas,or hurn. what can we expect from iacobucci?

I would say, outside of Ellis:

-Shannon Hurn: I'm personally not a huge wrap for him, but enough people I trust rate him that I suppose there's just something I'm missing.

-Darren Pfeiffer: Might be one of the hardest players in the draft, and is an excellent tackler. On top of that, he's a huge leap and mark and a good kick as well.

-Dale Thomas: Superb X-Factor - IMO, he'll be a matchwinner. The question is will he ever become consistent enough to be a top quality midfielder.

-Andrew Swallow: Hard at it, high possession winner, and blazingly fast. His kicking isn't great, but he's getting better at minimising the risks he takes.

Personally, I'd go with Pfeiffer if we were taking Ellis at #2, as he'd be complimentary, but I could see an inside mid falling to #21 or #23 too.

Thomas is also a good option, but we need an inside mid somewhere...

Nice comments vinnie. I think I would prefer Pfeiffer with #5 too. Everyone rates his courage, his mark, his speed and says he has nice skills, so why did no one have him going early? His stocks have risen since the last 'mail' had him going to collingwood, but why wasn't he rated so highly before?
I too think that a decent mid that was rated top 20, possibly even top 15, will drop to one of our second round picks.
I think if Beau Muston drops that far we should pick him up and go for a backman with 23.
I've given up on my hope that we will pick up a decent KPP in this draft. Unfortunately. I dont think you can ever have enough and really think CFC should go with best available at #5, but we'll see I guess.

bren_gc said:
I've given up on my hope that we will pick up a decent KPP in this draft. Unfortunately. I dont think you can ever have enough and really think CFC should go with best available at #5, but we'll see I guess.
I actually would really love to go with a backman at #21 or #23 - one out of Paul Bower, Austin Lucy, Matt Spangher or Alan Obst, and another KP at #37 - someone like Wayde Mills, Jonathan Cheetham, Alan Toovey or Brad Kelleher.

I just think that with our early picks we need to fix our broken midfield.

vinnie_vegas69 said:
I actually would really love to go with a backman at #21 or #23 - one out of Paul Bower, Austin Lucy, Matt Spangher or Alan Obst, and another KP at #37 - someone like Wayde Mills, Jonathan Cheetham, Alan Toovey or Brad Kelleher.

I just think that with our early picks we need to fix our broken midfield.

V_V69, i agree with the need to fix our broken midfield, but i still have hope for some of the younger kpps on the list already in Walker and Hall. Not to mention the talk earlier that we have had a word in meeson's (i think) ear and looks like he will ask to come home at the end of 07, theres a ruckman to take over for josh, let him take a flank and allow us to put TClo at CHB with Taz moving to CHF. I still think that JClo can be a part of the best backline in the comp. I do agree that we need to have a back up plan is someone doesnt pull through, and with such an even draft i think that Obst is probly looking good to take at 23. Ideally id like to see us go with the following:

2: Ellis: Wont play next year due to school footy but after 2 pre-seasons will be ready to go and be the next big thing... After Griffen that boy is gonna be a champ.

5: D.Thomas: The more i hear about him the more i like him, already works well with Ellis and continueing that bond will help keep them at pie land for 10+ years. Can definately see an awesome tag team happening between him and Davis over the next 5-7 years switching from midfield to FP, allowing us to keep some much needed pace in both areas.

21: Muston: If he drops, which is probable due to his knee injury, he is one that is worth the gamble if still there at 21, was rated top 5 i beleive and at one stage before he injured the knee was looking at number 1. If the knee pulls up fine in 12 months time we could once again pull the rabbit out of the hat ala Rusling last year.

23: Obst: The cover man in case one of the many KPPs already on the list dont come up. Is floating a little under cover from the likes of Bower Spangher Lucy and co but with such an even draft its to hard to tell, from what ive heard he has more upside and is more of the stick with his man defender.

37: Grant:If he is still there will definately be the steal of the draft. If he kicks on he is Judd mk2. Tallish midfielder with great pace, and excellant disposal.

53: Iles: Word had it a while ago that we were down in Tassy looking at this boy, average hieght, but has great skills and pretty good pace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back