Prediction Next breakout player in 2020?

Remove this Banner Ad

My tip is Ned McHenry. Now a second year player. Forgotten about by and large by the Vic media with the new influx of draftees. Should give the rising star a real shake.
No, not even a first 18 yet.
The way I see it is break out first 18

Underrated one, but for me, Wayne Milera is the next one still. Had a few seasons at the big leagues, worked his way through a tough campaign after a scintilating back half of 2018. It's time for Wayne to be a top 5 player here.

Other potentially good shouts are Gallucci, Jones, McHenry, Sholl and Fogarty. Gallucci might end up accidentally benefiting from us moving away from a coach who couldn't get production out of a small half-forward (and more midfield time), Jones/McHenry/Fogarty are all pretty obvious as to why and Sholl seems the type that steps up and gets better each level he goes to up.

Underrated one, but for me, Wayne Milera is the next one still. Had a few seasons at the big leagues, worked his way through a tough campaign after a scintilating back half of 2018. It's time for Wayne to be a top 5 player here.

Other potentially good shouts are Gallucci, Jones, McHenry, Sholl and Fogarty. Gallucci might end up accidentally benefiting from us moving away from a coach who couldn't get production out of a small half-forward (and more midfield time), Jones/McHenry/Fogarty are all pretty obvious as to why and Sholl seems the type that steps up and gets better each level he goes to up.
Yeah that’s a good one, it’s three yrs down.
Id prefer he not tackle and just evade.

Yeah that’s a good one, it’s three yrs down.
Id prefer he not tackle and just evade.

Well you do need to do both, and Milera is definitely ok defensively.

I want those evasion skills in our midfield core. It's where Wayne was born to play.

Well you do need to do both, and Milera is definitely ok defensively.

I want those evasion skills in our midfield core. It's where Wayne was born to play.
Focus on what he’s good at though in a spillage or centre stop. It’s his toe out out of it. Not into it.
frees him up a bit to connect in the way he should.

Gallucci and Milera are the two that need career best years

Jones will progress nicely but iy wont be a breakout year, he needs 20-30 games

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not so sure.

I'm tipping Jones to have a big impact next season.

We need a good half a dozen players to show significant improvement.

Sholl or Keys for me.

Sholl had a consistent year last year, has had a decent PS by all reports and I think there is a spot open if Smith and Mikera get more mid time.

Keys will earn a spot in the forward line over the PS with his training and just get the job done week in week out

Having some further thoughts on this topic. I reckon next year, we're likely going to have 2-3 players with breakout seasons. In recent few years, we haven't really allowed the youngsters much opportunites. Now with a fair few 28+ year olds gone, there is a tremendous opportunity for any of the youngsters who really wants it.

Fog is going to kill it next season, this is probably a prediction most of us can see (or at least hope).

With JJ gone, there is an opportunity for a forward/ruck to grab their chance - either Himmelberg or Frampton.

With CEY and Greenwood gone, 1 or 2 midfielders will get a fair crack at showing their worth - either Jones/McHenry/Gooch/Polhoke.

I also think there is a group of "thereabouts", and that 1 will come out with a decent year - Davis/Sholl/Butts/Keys/Crocker.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having some further thoughts on this topic. I reckon next year, we're likely going to have 2-3 players with breakout seasons. In recent few years, we haven't really allowed the youngsters much opportunites. Now with a fair few 28+ year olds gone, there is a tremendous opportunity for any of the youngsters who really wants it.

Fog is going to kill it next season, this is probably a prediction most of us can see (or at least hope).

With JJ gone, there is an opportunity for a forward/ruck to grab their chance - either Himmelberg or Frampton.

With CEY and Greenwood gone, 1 or 2 midfielders will get a fair crack at showing their worth - either Jones/McHenry/Gooch/Polhoke.

I also think there is a group of "thereabouts", and that 1 will come out with a decent year - Davis/Sholl/Butts/Keys/Crocker.
Your further thoughts bog the process down like the selection committee. * that.

Lachie Murphy I guess

Don’t think any of Jones McHenry Hamill Sholl will be ready to “break out”.
Don’t think Gallucci, Poholke, EH, Davis are good enough.
Don’t think Fogarty will get the ball kicked to him that much, he will be peripheral and Tex and Lynch will be the main targets.

Doedee, Milera, ROB don’t count they have already had their breakout season.

I would have said EH or McAdam if I had seen a couple of pre season stories about them getting fitter and stronger but crickets.

That leaves Murphy.

All this is banking on a progressive selection policy to give guys a chance, but I'm thinking Jones.

Can't believe you picked Keith as the 2019 breakout over ROB. Sure, Keath was good, but going from an easy delist to dominant ruckman, ROB wins comfortably.
Keath was the more consistent player and played out the entire season. ROB deserves the kudos and had a breakout as well, but Keath was the clear winner for mine.

Well, put em on the line, none over 28.
Well hopefully most I picked in my 22 who have played less than 1 season of AFL:

Jones
Fogarty
Stengle
McHenry
Himmelberg
Frampton
McAdam
Sholl

Of the rest, Milera & Gallucci most likely.

The chayce and the fog.

Himmelberg is gonna struggle. He's too slow imo. Id have frampton in the side before him and even mcasey going by his highlight reel.

If the gooch doesnt prove himself next year then he's in trouble.

Last edited:
I think that Ned, Chayce, Butts, McAdam and Harry Schoenberg are players that we will need to all have a break out year but I'll put my money on The Fog to be our shining light even to the point of the Vic media admiring him. Could the Fog in his first full year win the Coleman??

In 2017, Lever was our "breakout" player.
In 2018, it was the year of the Doedee.
Then in 2019, Keath stepped it up in Doedee's absence.

In 2020, who will it be?

In order to maximise thread engagement, subjects such as this where a poster is requested to choose between multiple options, is best done by use of a poll.

Ned McHenry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back