• Sam Docherty

Votes: 189 48.8%
  • Jacob Weitering

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Someone else?

Votes: 19 4.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I've done a fair bit of leadership camps and seminars through my career and a big point to most is that different leaders exist to fulfill different roles when necessary i.e it's not always the biggest guy in the room or the best player that's chosen as a leader.
With that in mind I think doc is the better face of Carlton and is probably better at having the harder chat with players where I think Cripps is the better leader throughout a game through his actions and willingness to put his body on the line. Both of these guys will be in the leadership group of the club for the next 10+ years but for me doc as captain and Cripps and vice is the right way to go

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I still do not understand why they can not both be Captains during their careers. Doc has a 3 year stint and then Cripps has a 3 year stint.
Then if another player enters the race then they do a stint as well.
Why is it one over the other?
Why is it a set and forget selection?
Regardless of who is captain that season every player should still be showing their leadership.
When the leadership is all on the same page then it comes down to style of leadership. Some players will respond better to a different style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't know what will come about, but best guess would tell me that Bolton & SOS do.
Just going to do a quick Pros/Cons on Docherty taking over the captaincy this year. I say Docherty because I feel he's our man, but same could go for Cripps.

Pros:
Docherty has captain material written all over him. He's our best speaker and has the ears of the squad.
Docherty has the credits in the bank, having a B&F in hand and an AA this year.
Docherty leads by example, being fearless and forthright and takes responsibility for his actions.
Murphy has only one year left on his contract and we know SOS won't easily sign off on another contract, even for our current captain.
Murphy has only a couple of years left regardless and may well be happy to hand the captaincy over for the good of the whole.
Murphy seems to be burdened by weight of captaincy. He's just not a natural leader, albeit he has got better.

Cons:
Murphy may get upset if stripped of the captaincy.

I just can't think of another Con and I'd sooner we were proactive than reactive.
What other bad things can come about for a handing-over anyway?

We don't know what will come about, but best guess would tell me that Bolton & SOS do.
Just going to do a quick Pros/Cons on Docherty taking over the captaincy this year. I say Docherty because I feel he's our man, but same could go for Cripps.

Pros:
Docherty has captain material written all over him. He's our best speaker and has the ears of the squad.
Docherty has the credits in the bank, having a B&F in hand and an AA this year.
Docherty leads by example, being fearless and forthright and takes responsibility for his actions.
Murphy has only one year left on his contract and we know SOS won't easily sign off on another contract, even for our current captain.
Murphy has only a couple of years left regardless and may well be happy to hand the captaincy over for the good of the whole.
Murphy seems to be burdened by weight of captaincy. He's just not a natural leader, albeit he has got better.

Cons:

I just can't think of another Con and I'd sooner we were proactive than reactive.

It’s all about the sell. Murphy is 30 next season (?) and the best way to hand over the captaincy would be to give it to Doc/Cripps and Murphy to mentor and help transition.

Murphy will be a 300+ gamer for Carlton, 1 club player. It all needs to be for the good of the team going forward. As if his word would carry any less weight because a (c) is removed from the end of his name.

If Hodge and Mitchell can make it work, there’s no reason why Murphy should throw his toys out of the pram.

Cons:

I can think of a few.

You risk choosing another captain who leads by example, and is not capable of becoming the captain off the field; it's what I'm concerned about when seeing so many advocating Cripps as our next captain, as though the best player should always be the captain. He's well-spoken, but he acts on instinct on the field; he isn't a thinker the way Doc is. I'm perfectly happy for him to be vice, just feel that the captain needs to be a bit more of a general than the best soldier.

You risk choosing a captain who is not ready. Cripps is the player he is because he focuses on his game; what do I need to do to get better? It lead him to get a running coach, to work tirelessly to get forward. I hardly need to tell you the potential issues that may come should that focus broaden. Even then, what if the club feel that neither Cripps nor Doc should be the next captain, but Charlie or Weitering? They are simply too young, and have not entered AFL sufficiently, to make them the captain for next year.

You risk upending the narrative, where we reward effort, where we celebrate those who opt in. One of the biggest changes Bolts has wrought has been to instill a sense of the collective, and in doing so reward those who do so. From within, we grow together; it is a slogan, but it's a mindset as well, something to get behind. You dump Murphy as captain, and you risk sending the complete opposite message.

It isn't one thing that Collingwoods a situation. You make a series of moves that sit poorly with the collective, then you quietly try to shuffle away the discontented. Changing the captaincy could be that first domino.

Who knows, really?

Remember when Wayne Johnson was made captain? He was probably our best player at the time and a logical choice.

It didn’t work. His performance as a player dropped, and the leadership people expected didn’t appear. It seemed a giant relief when Maclure got the nod.

If Murph is happy to be captain, let him do it for another year. We can’t complain about his work after a B&F.

Remember when Wayne Johnson was made captain? He was probably our best player at the time and a logical choice.

It didn’t work. His performance as a player dropped, and the leadership people expected didn’t appear. It seemed a giant relief when Maclure got the nod.

If Murph is happy to be captain, let him do it for another year. We can’t complain about his work after a B&F.
What is this? Logic?!

Are you sure you're not lost?

It's time for a change. Murphy has been a solid contributor and leader through some tough years, but i can't see him taking this group to another level.

I believe Doc is ready for the role, his poised, determined and seems have a great awareness and feel for the game.

Cripps would be the perfect VC

Even strong, successful organisations have a change of leadership, with ours being mediocre over the last 15 years, the time for change is now

IMO Murph can stay captain for as long as he want's it.

When he is ready to hand it over, I would go with Docherty as Capt and Cripps as VC.

I say leave it to Murphy to be the lightening rod and continue to groom Docherty, Cripps etc. Murphy has learned to be a good captain and I would rather our future stars focus on being the best they can be rather than have the official burden of captaincy. That said, I think Docherty is ready now if he wants it.

Back