• Sam Docherty

Votes: 189 48.8%
  • Jacob Weitering

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Someone else?

Votes: 19 4.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember when Wayne Johnson was made captain? He was probably our best player at the time and a logical choice.

It didn’t work. His performance as a player dropped, and the leadership people expected didn’t appear. It seemed a giant relief when Maclure got the nod.

If Murph is happy to be captain, let him do it for another year. We can’t complain about his work after a B&F.
Bnf’s AA Brownlow medals has nothing to do with being a good captain
It’s field directing
Letting a player know if he’s done wrong or right
Sticking up for team mates who are getting a bit of tough love from opposition
It’s being a good leader on and off field
Someone who trains hard and even gets the best out of young players and guide them on different aspects again on and off field
There’s many more aspects but I’ll leave it at that

Bnf’s AA Brownlow medals has nothing to do with being a good captain
It’s field directing
Letting a player know if he’s done wrong or right
Sticking up for team mates who are getting a bit of tough love from opposition
It’s being a good leader on and off field
Someone who trains hard and even gets the best out of young players and guide them on different aspects again on and off field
There’s many more aspects but I’ll leave it at that
I don't see Murph as one of the more vocal players on the ground in Navy. I don't see the field directing anywhere near as much as we see it from some of the other captains.

Remember when Wayne Johnson was made captain? He was probably our best player at the time and a logical choice.

It didn’t work. His performance as a player dropped, and the leadership people expected didn’t appear. It seemed a giant relief when Maclure got the nod.

If Murph is happy to be captain, let him do it for another year. We can’t complain about his work after a B&F.
Ian Botham syndrome.

I posted about this in the rumour thread too.

It's not just on the field, we've just recruited a CEO with a background in sponsorship, member growth and outreach.

Any captain(s, VCs etc) should also be marketable off the field with sponsors and community groups. MM is not a vocal leader and his media appearances have not exactly furthered his off field profile.

I can see Docherty as the kind of player who set examples on the field, teaches and leads but is also well presented and seems articulate.

I'm sure Bolton won't let it be the main factor in choosing our next leader but the club would be remiss if it isn't considered.

I don't see Murph as one of the more vocal players on the ground in Navy. I don't see the field directing anywhere near as much as we see it from some of the other captains.

Based on what I have seen, Luke Hodge is incredible in this regard. Also appears to be great at one-on-one confrontations if one of his players aren't pulling their weight.

Murphy is a poor captain.

There, I said it.

He is a great player but a s**t captain.

TA
Prove it.

What information do you have, to support that claim; not others who agree with you, not a gut feeling.

What actual evidence do you have to support that statement.

An ordinary captain, or an average captain, sure; I don't agree, but sure. But a s**t one?

Tempting to go Crippa as Skippa

Just plays like a leader. Tries his guts out. Wins clearances. Can go fwd and mark and goal. Just looks sometimes like the only guy who gives a s**t. When all else tire he's the one that tends to stand up and keep trying. That's a captain IMO.

Not taking anything away from Doc. He's exemplary. And would make a great skip. And comes across a bit more polished than Crippa.

But I just think Crippa plays like a true leader.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prove it.

What information do you have, to support that claim; not others who agree with you, not a gut feeling.

What actual evidence do you have to support that statement.

An ordinary captain, or an average captain, sure; I don't agree, but sure. But a s**t one?
Evidence:when he plays football
Isn’t that nearly enough? ...

+1 Arrow. I think Doch's ACL may give Murphy a reprieve. Def think they would have gone with Docherty and Cripps combo but this changes things.

With doc out
Does anyone think doc will sit at the back of the box with bolts coaching the games throughout the season?

I know some players who have done that in other teams or will that be off limits ?

Docherty injury couldn't be worse timing .
The time was right for him to take the reigns with Cripps his deputy .
Don't think i can stand another year of Murphy as captain but is Cripps ready for the job and if we give him the nod , what of Docherty in 2019

With doc out
Does anyone think doc will sit at the back of the box with bolts coaching the games throughout the season?

I know some players who have done that in other teams or will that be off limits ?

IMO, it is a great idea and a great way to learn for a future leader, captain or not.

Back