• Sam Docherty

Votes: 189 48.8%
  • Jacob Weitering

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Someone else?

Votes: 19 4.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Think you're selling on- field Docherty a bit short there.

Very different types of leaders. Both will do their thing irrespective of getting the captaincy. For Carlton's image though, I think it's important to have a leader that everyone wishes they had, one that people speak about as inspirational and generational. A Selwood or Hodge that players walk taller alongside. That's Cripps at the coalface, not Doc reading the play to perfection and racking up the intercepts.

Put a lot of thought into it and I think I'm ready to be non-playing Captain. Out there I know but hopefully the club will see things my way.

I think you need to adjust your expectations, team mascot maybe?:p

Bloody to good to even be having a reasoned debate around this. With all due respect to Murph, we haven't had leaders of this caliber for what feels like an eternity. Couldn't split them to be honest and reckon it will be a tight player vote. Cripps and Doc are the clear C/VC future combo for our club.

Apologies to Doc, who is a victim of his injury, but I've changed my vote to Cripps. Just been beasting it in his time as stand in El Capitano.
Still wouldn't be upset if Doc got it and I'd still happily go against my normal judgement of co-captains if it came to that, but Cripps has nudged ahead in my eyes.
Cripps will be captain u less they want him to start looking for new home. That’s the vibe I get from delay of extension. Otherwise bye bye crippa

Cripps will be captain u less they want him to start looking for new home. That’s the vibe I get from delay of extension. Otherwise bye bye crippa

Rumours started in WA during bye round when Cripps visited his old school and some started saying he was tired of getting smashed every week with no support from team mates. Against this is teh way he is playing on field - see game against Collingwood for example.

Crippa has the opportunity with us to be a bonafide immortal of the game. To be “the” bloke who leads us from our current state, to a premiership captain, brownlow medalist, setting all sorts of possession records is not something u would pass up.
Things obviously have to go his way but we will be a powerhouse again and there’s the potential to go down as one of the best players of all time.
Being part of a huge club only adds to the prestige, to be “the” bloke to give Carlton its swagger back comes with huge accolades & almost unprecedented earning capacity. U don’t get that in W.A u need to be in VIC playing in front of $80k+.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My glass is 3/4 full on this one. Reckon its agreed regarding the amount, delayed due to structuring. SOS wanting some flexibility to help nab a free agent, and Patty more than happy to assist.

I think it will be joint, reports from within say that Docherty is leader off field but to not give it to Cripps would be a travesty after what he has done for the team this year.. So why not both.. When there is 2 clear outstanding choices for the role with such a young group I think have 2 captains might actually be beneficial to the development of the group.

I think it will be joint, reports from within say that Docherty is leader off field but to not give it to Cripps would be a travesty after what he has done for the team this year.. So why not both.. When there is 2 clear outstanding choices for the role with such a young group I think have 2 captains might actually be beneficial to the development of the group.
I'm not really a fan of having joint captaincy but you make a good point. I have always thought Docherty would be the best choice for the blues as captain. He shows maturity and has a level head. But the way Crippa has played this year has shown that he leads by example. And that's what we need as a captain.
With Docherty's football smarts and skill along with Crippas toughness and lead by example attitude, it would set a standard amongst the rest of the team and be such a good base to build around.

Plenty of names being thrown around which is good, there was a time when we couldn't really find any strong leaders at the club, it wasn't that long ago.

Cripps will probably be captain. Docherty, Charlie Curnow, Weitering. All decent options. It's going to come down to leadership qualities. So players who are vocal at training and during games and enforce what the team and the coaches want. Players who aren't shy when it comes to having their say and demanding effort. Players who lead by example on the field, at training and in life and players who have good communication and people skills. Players who possess desired qualities such as resilience, competitiveness and effort.

I honestly don't think the captain is anywhere near as important as having a strong leadership group. You look at the great sides and there's a whole group of players you could gladly pick as captain but you need that core group. Those 4 mentioned players are a good start but the challenge will be to build on that.

I think it's been a part of our drafting to bring in these types of players. For all we know guys like O'Brien, SPS and Dow may step up into the leadership group as well.

We all know that getting rid of players detrimental to our leadership ranks has been a big focus. You look at all the players at other clubs who were got rid of or left during the Malthouse and now Bolton era. It's why we suck but also why we are building a good culture and leadership at the club.

Initially I voted Doc but now changed to Cripps. Docherty does he need the burden of captain coming back from a knee reco?? Let him focus on his game.

If Doc is the eventual chosen one.. then next year either give it to Murphy/Simmo for the year and Doc in 2020, or if changing in 2019 then Cripps is my man.

Docherty should be Captain. Just a natural leader on field and in words and actions off it.

Crippa just isn't as wise as Docherty for such a role. Less cerebral which should always be a part of a great leaders qualities.

Back