Votes: 189 48.8%
  • Jacob Weitering

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Someone else?

Votes: 19 4.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Co-captains just makes sense

If Doc had played this year I would assume he may have already been captain.

Playing group votes in preseason so would already have been injured

Cripps has elevated his game and his leadership 10 fold and must be rewarded

Agree with this. Thought the time was right for a change at the end of last year, Doc was ready, and then the injury. Didn't think Cripps was quite ready for it then, but he certainly is now. The two complement each other perfectly and would make for great co-captains.

I'd like to see b. goddard come across on a 12 month contract - make him captain, freeing up cripps to fully concentrate on his game and murph to move forward - doc isn't ready to take the mantle so soon after his reco - goddard to repay the faith we have had waiting for him to be released from *

I'd like to see b. goddard come across on a 12 month contract - make him captain, freeing up cripps to fully concentrate on his game and murph to move forward - doc isn't ready to take the mantle so soon after his reco - goddard to repay the faith we have had waiting for him to be released from *
Reported.

Card yourself and have a well earned rest.

This post was reported but I've checked the manual and there is absolutely nothing that deals with something like this. If the interwebs aren't here tomorrow, it's because of you.

This post was reported but I've checked the manual and there is absolutely nothing that deals with something like this. If the interwebs aren't here tomorrow, it's because of you.
Thanks for trying

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think Doc is the better candidate, but he will need time to recover, readjust to playing AFL again. He might not be able to attack the ball the way he used to until he gets a bit of confidence back in that knee.

I loathe the idea of co-captains, such a thing is more an distillation of the leadership group anyway, but my solution is this. It was good enough for Hawthorn, when the time is right, for Mitchell to step down from the captaincy to allow the better captain to assume the mantle in Hodge. Let Cripps take up the mantle, and lead us; if Doc is the better choice, then he can recover his form and his confidence first, and we can assume that we have appropriate levers in place to keep the players honest enough with themselves to make an accurate judgement about who is the better leader.

And finally, it's a move with significance, to be sure, but who the captain is has more significance to us than it does to the players. Cripps was out there when Murphy was captain; so was Doc. We have our leadership group driving standards during the week, and it will evolve and grow as our list does, and they are our nominal leaders.

Others are just as capable of showing leadership out there, despite lacking the captaincy.

If I was asked I would accept the role with pride.
I have heard that captain Carlton is retiring and if you are over 55 and a loyal supporter, you can don the costume.

Please consider it as Bigfooty could do with the extra bandwidth created. Mods would be able to have some time off..

Was convinced Docherty at the end of last season but after seeing Cripps go about things this season I think he’s the best choice.

Young, tough, players already seem to respect him heaps, young blokes clearly feed off his energy and in terms of marketing the club I think he has Docherty covered in that area quite easily.

Docherty certainly wouldn’t be a bad choice, but I think Cripps just makes more sense.

I still think Doc is the better candidate, but he will need time to recover, readjust to playing AFL again. He might not be able to attack the ball the way he used to until he gets a bit of confidence back in that knee.

I loathe the idea of co-captains, such a thing is more an distillation of the leadership group anyway, but my solution is this. It was good enough for Hawthorn, when the time is right, for Mitchell to step down from the captaincy to allow the better captain to assume the mantle in Hodge. Let Cripps take up the mantle, and lead us; if Doc is the better choice, then he can recover his form and his confidence first, and we can assume that we have appropriate levers in place to keep the players honest enough with themselves to make an accurate judgement about who is the better leader.

And finally, it's a move with significance, to be sure, but who the captain is has more significance to us than it does to the players. Cripps was out there when Murphy was captain; so was Doc. We have our leadership group driving standards during the week, and it will evolve and grow as our list does, and they are our nominal leaders.

Others are just as capable of showing leadership out there, despite lacking the captaincy.
Last sentence is wishful thinking
There was nearly zero to leadership apart from a few players this year.

Back