Votes: 189 48.8%
  • Jacob Weitering

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Someone else?

Votes: 19 4.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Last sentence is wishful thinking
There was nearly zero to leadership apart from a few players this year.
Did Cripps show leadership when he wasn't the captain? I'd say yes. Did Daisy, as prone to mistakes as he was at times, lead the way without the captaincy? Did Simpson?

Could be wishful thinking, but having a single leader on a football field is an archaic concept.

I think there's quite a few of us that feel the same way, but this just feels different, doesn't it?

1. They both deserve the captaincy
2. Both are widely admired inside and outside of the club.
3. Docherty in particular is a wonderful mouthpiece for the club, whilst Cripps is what the club wants to stand for.

As long as both the guys are happy to share, I feel it may be quite an easy decision for the club.
I have always been 100% anti co-captains but this post is starting to sway me.
Imo co captains would work here because it's for the right reasons.

The times when co- captaincy tends to fail is when you take 2 players that aren't up to the job individually, stick them together and pray that they can somehow be greater than the sum of their parts.

However we have 2 players that would both make great individual captains - but in different ways, and will only be stronger together as their strengths will complement each other.
Swaying...intensifying...

Couldn't agree more Arrow. Think of the education he would have gotten this year in the coaches' box!

Absolutely MEB, just improves his experience and knowledge of the game and would still have him as Captain. While not being a fan of Co-Captains, I could make a strong case for it, at our club

Absolutely MEB, just improves his experience and knowledge of the game and would still have him as Captain. While not being a fan of Co-Captains, I could make a strong case for it, at our club

I was in the Docherty camp but what Cripps has done this year is hard to pass up. Not a fan of Co-Captains but can see reasoning in this case. Whatever happens I'm okay with as IMO we can't lose. Nice to have such quality options.

Also, re: Murphy. Now is not the time for politeness. If he can't see the writing on the wall then it needs to be spelled out for him. Shove over mate, it's time for a change.

The politeness comes from the clubs side though.
Hawthorn are ruthless but considerate, fair and primarily do what's best for the club.

Murphy should not have been captain this year, let alone in consideration for the next. There's no offence intended, but just do what's right for the club, CFC

Hawthorn are ruthless but considerate, fair and primarily do what's best for the club.

Murphy should not have been captain this year, let alone in consideration for the next. There's no offence intended, but just do what's right for the club, CFC
Oh yeah I know it's from the club's side, and it isn't right. We can have a fair and positive culture while being honest about what each player and leader is-or isn't-bringing to the table.

Co-Captains is the right choice, however you had to pick one I'd have to go to Docherty over Cripps.

I was always a bit skepitcal of the Murphy appointment, don't get me wrong I always thought he was a very good player but not a very strong leader, wish they appointed Simmo instead but that's me.

Docherty for mine.

Watching our team in a huddle after getting smacked by Adelaide in the first half - Crippa was doing all the talking. That was with Murphy in the side, standing right next to him. I think now is the time, and it looks like Cripps has assumed the mantle unofficially anyway.

Cripps for Captain.
Docherty as Vice Captain.
Curnow (Ed), Plowman, Marchbank, Weitering to round out the Leadership Group.

That cohort are guaranteed best 22, and have the maturity to keep the group grounded and focused for the next decade.

Would love a representation from the forward line in the form of a strong young leader, but not sure anyone is quite there yet. Silvagni might be in the mix, but not convinced his spot in the side is secure enough. Maybe we're happy to have a "leader" bouncing between seniors and VFL, but I doubt it.

There's a strong case for Murph, Simmo, Kreuzer and Rowe as well, but I'd love to see us move past most of them and let them just play good footy.

Never been much of a fan of his public leadership (not idea or ability to judge his work with the players), i remember seeing press conferences with him and gibbs as vice where all the attention in the room was following the vice's words and body language while murph stuttered his way through prepared words.

That's not all captaincy is but talking with media, sponsors, coterie and fans is something that players in our leadership group should be able to do.

Watching our team in a huddle after getting smacked by Adelaide in the first half - Crippa was doing all the talking. That was with Murphy in the side, standing right next to him. I think now is the time, and it looks like Cripps has assumed the mantle unofficially anyway.

Cripps for Captain.

That cohort are guaranteed best 22, and have the maturity to keep the group grounded and focused for the next decade.

Would love a representation from the forward line in the form of a strong young leader, but not sure anyone is quite there yet. Silvagni might be in the mix, but not convinced his spot in the side is secure enough. Maybe we're happy to have a "leader" bouncing between seniors and VFL, but I doubt it.

There's a strong case for Murph, Simmo, Kreuzer and Rowe as well, but I'd love to see us move past most of them and let them just play good footy.
i'd still think murph gets a gig in some sort of leadership role wouldnt he?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps for Captain.

I'm intrigued by the Weitering inclusion, why him? I don't really see it.

i'd still think murph gets a gig in some sort of leadership role wouldnt he?

Unofficially, around the club, sure. But I think the public face of leadership for Carlton should change next season.

I'm intrigued by the Weitering inclusion, why him? I don't really see it.

Ummed and ahhed a bit, but he came to the club with strong leadership credentials, and seemed to settle into some strong form late in the year. If his head is now in the right space and he's feeling more comfortable in his body and his role with 56 games under his belt, I'd like to see him take on some more responsibility.

Marc Murphy – Captain............................Relinquish captaincy and focus on fitness and footy
Patrick Cripps – Joint Vice-Captain.............Takes on captaincy after a stellar season
Sam Docherty – Joint Vice-Captain............Holds his position
Kade Simpson.........................................Replaced by Marchbank (who captained the side in the preseason if I recall)
Ed Curnow..............................................Holds his position
Lachie Plowman.......................................Holds his position
Alex Silvagni............................................Replaced by Weitering
Matthew Kreuzer......................................Focus on fitness and footy

Unofficially, around the club, sure. But I think the public face of leadership for Carlton should change next season.

Ummed and ahhed a bit, but he came to the club with strong leadership credentials, and seemed to settle into some strong form late in the year. If his head is now in the right space and he's feeling more comfortable in his body and his role with 56 games under his belt, I'd like to see him take on some more responsibility.

Marc Murphy – Captain............................Relinquish captaincy and focus on fitness and footy
Patrick Cripps – Joint Vice-Captain.............Takes on captaincy after a stellar season
Sam Docherty – Joint Vice-Captain............Holds his position
Kade Simpson.........................................Replaced by Marchbank (who captained the side in the preseason if I recall)
Ed Curnow..............................................Holds his position
Lachie Plowman.......................................Holds his position
Alex Silvagni............................................Replaced by Weitering
Matthew Kreuzer......................................Focus on fitness and footy

Don't think it will be long before Dow is in the leadership group.

It's a tough call. I've never liked Co-Captains but I've warmed to idea with both Cripps and Docherty. Crippa is more your lead from the front, inspirational captain whereas Doch is more like a coach out on the field whilst also leading from the front as well. If the club only wants one then Docherty is probably my pick, just to help take the load of Crippa a bit.

As for Weiters in the leadership group, I'd give it another year. I think with a stable backline around him next year he should build his confidence and start to really show consistent excellence.

Did Cripps show leadership when he wasn't the captain? I'd say yes. Did Daisy, as prone to mistakes as he was at times, lead the way without the captaincy? Did Simpson?

Could be wishful thinking, but having a single leader on a football field is an archaic concept.
I only a few
I didn’t say none
Why mention Cripps to me when I’m Captain Cripps?

Back