• Sam Docherty

Votes: 189 48.8%
  • Jacob Weitering

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Someone else?

Votes: 19 4.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the latest episode of The Journey, it looked like it was Murphy and Docherty leading the way in most of the team talks. Also, not sure if intentional, Murphy and Doc were always standing up and not sitting; as if they were the leaders in the room. Obviously for Murph that's to be expected, but interesting Doc did as well.

Isn't it finally a fantastic position to be in !!!

Whichever way the club goes:
  • Keep Murphy - OK tick. I saw him originally as a placeholder captain but he's clearly grown into the role, has been through the sh*t years so keep going son, and IMO has the character to deal with handing it over when others are ready or needed or Murph himself wants to step back
  • Doc - OK tick. Probably the front runner, see him as a Mitchell type captain, an organiser, great speaker, student of the game, great at all the off-field corporate stuff too, mature head, v/good player
  • Cripps - OK tick. The on field warrior that every player follows and opposition supporters admire for their hardness and perceived laid back or lad-ish nature....a Hodge or Jono Brown type if you like
  • Weiters - Mmm... probably just too young but oozes leadership potential

In writing this, there is a bit of symmetry between the VanDenBurg/Mitchell/Hodge scenario at Hawks during their rebuild and what's happening with our reset and discussing Murphy/Doc/Cripps...(sorry Murph, not comparing you as a player to RVDB, just the situation & leadership timeline/transition we're talking about)

My preferred footy leadership style is the Cripps type...I just love those hard blokes leading from the trenches but I'm not fussed one iota if they go Murph or Doc, just so pleased they can't stuff it up....surely they can't

Off to my happy place....(queue the dream sequence with cowboy dwarf riding a tricycle and Chubbs playing the piano) :)

Isn't it finally a fantastic position to be in !!!

Whichever way the club goes:
  • Keep Murphy - OK tick. I saw him originally as a placeholder captain but he's clearly grown into the role, has been through the sh*t years so keep going son, and IMO has the character to deal with handing it over when others are ready or needed or Murph himself wants to step back
  • Doc - OK tick. Probably the front runner, see him as a Mitchell type captain, an organiser, great speaker, student of the game, great at all the off-field corporate stuff too, mature head, v/good player
  • Cripps - OK tick. The on field warrior that every player follows and opposition supporters admire for their hardness and perceived laid back or lad-ish nature....a Hodge or Jono Brown type if you like
  • Weiters - Mmm... probably just too young but oozes leadership potential

In writing this, there is a bit of symmetry between the VanDenBurg/Mitchell/Hodge scenario at Hawks during their rebuild and what's happening with our reset and discussing Murphy/Doc/Cripps...(sorry Murph, not comparing you as a player to RVDB, just the situation & leadership timeline/transition we're talking about)

My preferred footy leadership style is the Cripps type...I just love those hard blokes leading from the trenches but I'm not fussed one iota if they go Murph or Doc, just so pleased they can't stuff it up....surely they can't

Off to my happy place....(queue the dream sequence with cowboy dwarf riding a tricycle and Chubbs playing the piano) :)
post more quality s**t please TD7 :thumbsu:

Wouldn't mind Kreuz taking it on from next year for 2 years, with Doc and Cripps as VCs to take over.

You don't need to be captain to be vocal and lead on field, so while Kreuz may not fill that need others can, but he will certainly set the right attitude for our young players to follow.

Credit to Murph but it's time to hand over the reigns and let him just focus on playing the game.

Docherty & Cripps come across as the obvious candidates.

Docherty has the clear authority on-field and doesn't seem to shy away from demanding his instructions are adhered to.
Cripps; If ever you want someone to lead by example, he's your man. Follow his training regime, intent to constantly improve and to play under severe duress and you'll be admired by one and all.

One captain, one vice captain and a couple deputies on other lines. That's it.

I am strongly in favour of Cripps. Doch as an ideal deputy. Perfect combo.

Doch is the easy and obvious pick due to his very clear skills as a communicator- but Cripps brings essential "acts of leadership" that you need from a Captain.

Although Doch is more articulate and vocal, and certainly a tough uncompromising leader and player in his own right, Cripps has more of the essence of pure leadership. He is more likely to provide inspiration on the ground with his strength and bravery. You also don't want too much "talk" from your skipper, you want actions - actions do speak louder than words. This is not to denigrate and belittle Doch, or devalue his role - his is essential. I just see Cripps having big powerful moments in games that will carry his team along with him AND I see Cripps doing acts mid quarter when we need a lift - as opposed to words at breaks and at training.

I think we err if we pick Doch - and having said that, Doch would also clearly make a good captain in his own right - we are spoiled for choice really.

It's symbolic of the direction of the club that we now have a growing list of candidates. Docherty and Cripps appear to be favourites as next captain of the club. It could be as early as next season however this is not a suggestion that Murph should hand over the captaincy. It just appears to be in sync with what Judd did. Murph could mentor the new captain and play out his last years without the added pressure of the captaincy.

And to answer Arrow's poser that the captain doesn't have to be the best footballer I would like to suggest Ed Curnow would make an excellent captain. Ed is the equal of Doc when it comes to speaking on behalf of the club. His preparation for playing is outstanding and his efforts on game day cannot be questioned. All of this would make him an excellent leader.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*Bump

This guy :handok:

DochertySignsArticle_620X370.jpg

I still think Cripps should be the next captain. Has all the makings of one of the great carlton captains in a kernahan mould. Walks around like a Voss/Buckley/Hird captain. Has presence and team lifting ability on the field.

Docherty while also appealing think he will be just as effective as a VC.

I still think Cripps should be the next captain. Has all the makings of one of the great carlton captains in a kernahan mould. Walks around like a Voss/Buckley/Hird captain. Has presence and team lifting ability on the field.

Docherty while also appealing think he will be just as effective as a VC.

I think Docherty myself. And Cripps just as effective as Vice . But either/or i would be extremely content with. Co-captains even.

2 ripper options. A great combo.

Docherty in the overall more cerebral fashion of a Tom Harley, Jarrod McVeigh, Phil Davis mould onfield and off.

Crippa in the jump on my back and come with me type mould.

Back