Next captain options?

Who should be our next captain

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gryan Miers.

Although the curiosity in me does wonder which unlucky premiership player was snubbed..

This comment - “There’s a broader group of 20 players that Simon Lloyd and ‘Scotty’ have consulted and got their thoughts."

I'm curious if that's 20 players that Scott & Co believe would be suitable captain/leadership group options & thus checking in with them about that before narrowing it down, or they're chatting with them about things such as what they're looking for in a leader & who they believe would be good options

But in terms of premiership players not within that group (apart from the obvious in Selwood), I could see that including a guy Smith who's been with us only 2 years & potentially last year of his career, but it also depends what the consultation process includes

Older guys can talk about things they're learnt during their careers, things that worked or didn't work, & what they've found to be beneficial during their careers. While for younger guys it can be about what they'd prefer to see from the next captain/s, their connection to the club etc - Tom Hawkins with his 17 years & 327 games obviously has value to contribute to any such discussions, but that doesn't mean Sam DeK with his 24 games from 3 years voice would be of lesser value

I'd like to think that players spoken to vary across age & experience

This comment - “There’s a broader group of 20 players that Simon Lloyd and ‘Scotty’ have consulted and got their thoughts."

I'm curious if that's 20 players that Scott & Co believe would be suitable captain/leadership group options & thus checking in with them about that before narrowing it down, or they're chatting with them about things such as what they're looking for in a leader & who they believe would be good options

But in terms of premiership players not within that group (apart from the obvious in Selwood), I could see that including a guy Smith who's been with us only 2 years & potentially last year of his career, but it also depends what the consultation process includes

Older guys can talk about things they're learnt during their careers, things that worked or didn't work, & what they've found to be beneficial during their careers. While for younger guys it can be about what they'd prefer to see from the next captain/s, their connection to the club etc - Tom Hawkins with his 17 years & 327 games obviously has value to contribute to any such discussions, but that doesn't mean Sam DeK with his 24 games from 3 years voice would be of lesser value

I was also thinking maybe Jezza - they spared him the trouble of talking to the brains trust since he hasn't been at the club as long and doesn't strike me as someone who would enjoy meetings.

I'd say people are taking this group of 20 way too literally

I was also thinking maybe Jezza - they spared him the trouble of talking to the brains trust since he hasn't been at the club as long and doesn't strike me as someone who would enjoy meetings.

Another couple I was thinking of were Tuohy (7yrs) & Rohan (5yrs), and even Menegola (I know he didn't play in the GF, but he's 116 game veteran of our club)...Yes we're the second/third club for those guys & they have been here for an extended time, they are also likely closer to the end of their careers than others on our list - please note I'm not trying to prematurely retire any of them guy, but I could see 2023 being the final year in the hoops for a couple of them

So it's not necessarily that their opinions isn't as valuable as others, so if Scott & Co are looking for a captain for just 2023 then you likely lean more towards the veteran players & their contributions. But if they're looking for potentially longer term options or even those say under 24/25 who are seen as a captain in waiting, that they could benefit from some mentoring - then I'd see the value in chatting with those who likely have a few more years at the club and that these decisions could have a greater impact on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo new captain announced - Alex Pearce.

Just us and Brisbane who are TBC now?

Freo new captain announced - Alex Pearce.

Just us and Brisbane who are TBC now?
And hopefully neither name their captain before our practice match next week, and it can be the battle of the captainless clubs...

Think it will be today. Before the simulation

You mean Brisbane to announce their captain today?

I doubt we hear anything from the Club before the season launch - there's zero reason to do it today and if anything it would be more distracting making that announcement on a "match" day and all the BS that's going to go with it, such as the media wanting to interview the new captain...

The club will either have a special press conference for the announcement that doesn't conflict with anything else going on with the club or it will be announced at the season launch with the chance for media the next day - with 2 hours before our first (un)official hit out of the year, it's not the time for it

Having watched Show Me The Money, the Dangerfield involvement with the Bowes trade was very impressive from a potential captaincy standpoint. Stewart was involved too in the presentation, but the manager even rang Danger to tell him specifically, not Mackie or anyone else.
Exactly, overall it seems Dangerfield has that best link from team mates to coaches to everything else the role entails. Good face of the club, media-astute and a guy everyone would look up to. I mean he kept every player new or old to the club since 2014 believing another flag should be fought for each year. Would have soaked up everything Joel provided from the front lines too.

I don't think there's a disappointing option for captain regardless but Dangerfield seems the best fit for 2023 to me. I don't think having the role for just a year or two matters in this case, while we are still contending.

Having watched Show Me The Money, the Dangerfield involvement with the Bowes trade was very impressive from a potential captaincy standpoint. Stewart was involved too in the presentation, but the manager even rang Danger to tell him specifically, not Mackie or anyone else.

To be fair thats bc danger and bowes are in the same management stable but i agree.

I cant be bothered - and i wouldnt know where to find them - but i wouldnt mind someone listing Dangerfields achievements as a footballer
Aunty Google
Wikipedia:
1677161612148.gif

28A95E56-0395-4DD6-8F52-BE54E71C7AAA.jpeg 8F6BD002-6372-445A-B87D-ECBB771A7710.png
henry cavill wikipedia GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back