Next captain options?

Who should be our next captain

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As that team picture shows - the row their were with Chris Scott - Geel are spoilt for riches re the next captain - Hawkins - Danger - Cam - Mitch - Mark and Tom

Now what we dont know - is who on the training track and in the rooms at break times in games and actually during games - is the best leader - and most respected - and the players vote on that

Iwas keen on Danger to get it - simply because he was keen to get it - and he said - its all about the now - we want to win it in season 23 etc - and he has been a sensational player for Geel - week in - week out - and thus all the awards he has won etc

However to be perfectly fair - what we dont know - is how mature he is - like you go back to the 19 PF - 2nd qtr - Geel had one foot on Richmonds throat - like there is a GF spot up for grabs ( and it ended up against GWS - what a gift that would have been ) - and i thought in that qtr Dangerfield was terribly immature - hes laughing and carrying on at the centre bounce like a kid - pushing his face right into Martins face - so much so that Dustin Martin got sick of it and pushed him over - and i dont blame him for doing that

Where Geel were positioned in that game at that time - i think alot of Geel players current and past would have been totally focused on burying Rich - and not going on with the nonsense that Danger went on with - considering there was a GF spot up for grabs
Dangerfield can be a selfish player. Selwood + Hawkins played their hearts out for the team.
Danger can go missing on occasions.
Still, he’s phenomenal at Centre Clearances. A mercurial player with spectacular talent.
I’m torn. Stewart, Blitz + Duncan also offer captain qualities.

Apologies if already discussed but does anyone else think Tom Atkins is a chance?
His team-first attitude is as good as anyone’s.
He showed last year that he can lift the team to wins (v Port, v Richmond to list just a couple) with Selwood-like ferocity and he’s just 27 yo.

Apologies if already discussed but does anyone else think Tom Atkins is a chance?
His team-first attitude is as good as anyone’s.
He showed last year that he can lift the team to wins (v Port, v Richmond to list just a couple) with Selwood-like ferocity and he’s just 27 yo.

Personally I don't.
I think he lacks the outspoken nature that IMO is needed with such an experienced group, that and I'm not 100% sure he's a lock in the 22, especially if Parfitt finds his best form and Bruhn and Bowes are playing well.
I don't usually mind a captain like Harley whose not in the best 15 players, I just don't think we are in a position that it's a requirement, especially with other quality leaders at the club.
In saying that, I reckon he'd be fine as captain.

471c3d1b401af51a325382425533837c.jpg

Confirmed

You mean Brisbane to announce their captain today?

I doubt we hear anything from the Club before the season launch - there's zero reason to do it today and if anything it would be more distracting making that announcement on a "match" day and all the BS that's going to go with it, such as the media wanting to interview the new captain...

The club will either have a special press conference for the announcement that doesn't conflict with anything else going on with the club or it will be announced at the season launch with the chance for media the next day - with 2 hours before our first (un)official hit out of the year, it's not the time for it
Ok…my “mail” was out by a couple of day…. You were right in terms of keeping it clear of a game and a separate event. I had heard that players were being told before the game on Thursday.

Maybe a bit of truth in both (ie. they picked them but held off for clear air)

Not overly surprised in the outcome but wouldn’t have been shocked with co-captains

EDIT: Just got told that the players were told pre game Thursday…amazing it didn’t get out before now…

Right call i think.
Paddy has earnt it-he is different to joel but like joel he embodies excellence of character outside footy and in the community and we want to teach that.
Obviously stewart will captain whenever pat is rested.
I expect pat has 2-3 years left so it will be interesting if stewart succeeds him in 2025 or we opt for a younger player at that point.

We were spoilt for options, but this is a great choice.
Dangerfield will be an excellent captain. Embodies the spirit of the club.
Will lead in his own way of course, I think by standing up for things that matter, having a lot of care for teammates, embodying hard work and professionalism but also bringing footy back to it's basics: that it's about enjoyment, flair and a good deal of fun.

At 9am on a random Saturday night in February, the Geelong FC put us out of misery & answered the question in the title of this thread...#35 Patrick Dangerfield is our new captain

And while it may be for 1 year, maybe it'll be for 2 or 3 years - but until such time it becomes clear that we'll be looking at next change at the top, this thread has served its purpose and discussion should now be directed to the following thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back