Next captain who and when?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wallis will be our next long term captain, I think. But when Boyd retires, I don't know if he'll be old enough or experienced enough.
Not sure who could be a stop-gap between Boyd and Wallis.

Wallis will be our next long term captain, I think. But when Boyd retires, I don't know if he'll be old enough or experienced enough.
Not sure who could be a stop-gap between Boyd and Wallis.
Agree, Wallis would only be about 22 when Boyd gives it away. Higgins is the only other guy who comes to mind...

Agree, Wallis would only be about 22 when Boyd gives it away. Higgins is the only other guy who comes to mind...
Yeah, I had typed that Higgins might be, since he was really only the other option, but I backspaced it before I posted :D. There really is no one else.

Yeah, I had typed that Higgins might be, since he was really only the other option, but I backspaced it before I posted :D. There really is no one else.
Age wise and off field he's about the perfect candidate, it's the on field thats the problem...god if only we could combine him and Griff...

One thing I'm sure of is we don't want to put all that pressure on Wallis too early. I hate what the dees have done to Trengrove

Just watching Carey on EMT and saying that less then 5% of players have 10 year careers, so I don't blame cal ward for taking the cash, that's the world we live in today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why won't Griffen be?

He is not a leader, never has been, never will be, he is a very quiet person, nothing wrong with that but he is not who you want leading a football club.

Didn't he captain SA under 18s
Yes, but captaining the U/18's is a little different to an AFL side. He hates doing media, especially after the outrage of some people when years ago he said Richmond gave up in a game.
Very quiet and reserved guy. He wont ever be captain.

Wallis. Will be 22-24 when Boyd retires and there is no one else I would give it too, Picken would be my first choice if I was forced to choose someone other than Wallis when Boyd retires. Minson just does stupid s**t too often, Higgins can't play enough games in a season to be considered, Griffen isn't captain material and Cooney probably won't be playing when Boyd retires.

Wally will handle it when the time comes. Boyd in the meantime could be skipper for another 2 to 3 years.

BTW....just on Griff....how much leadership did he show on the weekend...amazing performance he just kept leading the way. I know he's not one for all the media and so on....but in the day neither was Chris Grant. I think Griff knows what it takes now to be elite in this game. If he wanted to be skipper for a couple of years I'd have no issue at all.

give it to minson next year!

facepalm.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back