Prediction Next Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

A fair lot of us spent the past couple years saying Lever is a future captain of the club. Not sure why a thread wondering who given Lever is going will be a future captain of the club is a s**t thread. I think it is a good discussion. Who are the young leaders?

Sloane is a no brainer, but he's not young, so who then? Talia? Do you go with a backman? Crouchs? Love em but do they even want that type of role? Someone suggesting Laird was a good call.

Good thread. Good discussion to have. Clubs need young leaders coming through.

Maybe having a CHF as captain is not a good thing. It's the hardest position on the field and unless you are a superstar (Carey, Kenrahan) which Tex isn't, the averages say you will have more bad than good days. A captain leads by example.

Jenny being knocked back when they were looking for a new mod is the best thing that has ever happened around here

Bit harsh mate. Not really necessary.

She is entitled to voice her opinion equally as much as all others.

Whether she deserves to be a mod or not I don't know cause I don't know the selection criteria.

OK no worries. We shall all check with you when it is OK to start a thread our lord modship jenny
No need to be a dick. This thread is as a direct result of Tex's game on the weekend. He's a bloody good captain - voted TWICE by his peers as best AFL Captain. So he had a crap game... as did they all (except Matty Crouch). You reckon Tex doesn't feel like s**t already? Let's go add to it by starting these types of threads. Jesus.

No need to be a dick. This thread is as a direct result of Tex's game on the weekend. He's a bloody good captain - voted TWICE by his peers as best AFL Captain. So he had a crap game... as did they all (except Matty Crouch). You reckon Tex doesn't feel like s**t already? Let's go add to it by starting these types of threads. Jesus.

Yeah because tex reads big footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Notice how there isnt a lot of the same answers in here? Its because the answer isn't obvious... Sorry for asking it but ffs I'm not jumping down walkers throat.
Get over yourself.

Is it? I suggested he would be captain for the next 2 years... Taking him to 29. About the same age van berlo stopped being our captain....

Van Berlo was fighting for his spot at 29, Tex will be close to being our highest goal scorer by then.

Tex will have captaincy until his spot is in danger, and by then it's too far into the future to know who will get it. No one strikes me as a captain in our younger brigade currently, but someone may grow into it.

Van Berlo was fighting for his spot at 29, Tex will be close to being our highest goal scorer by then.

Tex will have captaincy until his spot is in danger, and by then it's too far into the future to know who will get it. No one strikes me as a captain in our younger brigade currently, but someone may grow into it.
True, I dont think that's beyond the realms of possibility at all.
I think thats the old way, not so.sure anymore.

As players get older it becomes harder to balance the media side of things, leading and playing your own game, recovery etc.

It could be best for all involved to have him become a leader like hodge was this year, but without the c next to his name.

Maybe having a CHF as captain is not a good thing. It's the hardest position on the field and unless you are a superstar (Carey, Kenrahan) which Tex isn't, the averages say you will have more bad than good days. A captain leads by example.
Jono Brown, Tredrea, Hird (cough cough), Pav, Rough, Reiwoldt - yeah, probably right. CHF as a captain is not a good thing

True, I dont think that's beyond the realms of possibility at all.
I think thats the old way, not so.sure anymore.

As players get older it becomes harder to balance the media side of things, leading and playing your own game, recovery etc.

It could be best for all involved to have him become a leader like hodge was this year, but without the c next to his name.
JJ seems to be able to balance the media well...

Tex will be our captain for the next 5 years, no need to waste time on who will be our next captain.

He and most of the team had a s**t game on the weekend, which they all know, by the time Tex retires he will be our best ever captain (hopefully most successful)& leading goal kicker.

We haven't recruited them yet.
This is as good of a call as any, Tex had a stinker on Saturday, but unless he does it in a grand final again he'll be captain for the foreseeable future.

Look at Richmond, Cotchin was in a similar position to Tex after the 2015 finals with a lot less runs on the board but they stuck by him and now they're laughing.

Good thread. I think Tex still has something to give. However, I'd like to see someone like one of the crouch's or sloaney given a crack it. Those 3 would make outstanding captains

Matt Crouch should be groomed to be our next captain if sloane departs end of next year.

Will forever be uneasy with Tex in charge. Please make Rory Captain before he leaves.

Agreed, as a neutral I cringe watching this bloke captain your club.
Viewed the 1st half again of the GF to see where it was won/lost and couldn't believe the lack of effort/grunt Walker gave when the heat was on...didn't chase, block, run with or exert any physical pressure when it was needed and was constantly pointing the finger and berating his own. Meanwhile Sloane dug in and kept you in it.
At least you know what you're going to get with Sloane, hope you can hang on to him.

Agreed, as a neutral I cringe watching this bloke captain your club.
Viewed the 1st half again of the GF to see where it was won/lost and couldn't believe the lack of effort/grunt Walker gave when the heat was on...didn't chase, block, run with or exert any physical pressure when it was needed and was constantly pointing the finger and berating his own. Meanwhile Sloane dug in and kept you in it.
At least you know what you're going to get with Sloane, hope you can hang on to him.
Tex is injured, turf toe. He was last year, got over it, it came back.
Most players don't/can't even play with it.
Sandilands sat out most of a year and then again part of the next year when it flared up.

I knew it anyway but Rowe and Bickley the other night said Tex won't make excuses but he's not right, Rowie then mumbled yeah the bloody turf toe.
He's pissed he can't do what he wants due to the injury.

We've seen what Tex can do and how he leads in a play sense.
Still a great leader in the other ways.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back