Opinion Next Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Good summation.

Grundy from reports just doesn’t like doing the formal leadership.
If he did, wow, he’d be sensational.
Smart intelligent- good guy.

Moore was touted early doors likely due to his natural maturity and intelligence.
Another good kid and smart.
But with his injuries he’s fallen in the pecking order.
And you need a great body of good form to earn that authentic authority.

Sidebottom will be captain even ahead of Grundy if it is available in next few years.
In my view he’s a lock.

After that time, the field is open. Who knows by then Moore might be the obvious one but that’s a long way away at this time.
I would not complain if Sidebottom is next captain. His durability and longevity demand it really. Then Grundy next.

Grundy from reports just doesn’t like doing the formal leadership.
If he did, wow, he’d be sensational.
Smart intelligent- good guy.
Good summation :). Right with you on Grundy. Grundy has shown this year the attribute this year that as a fan I most like in a captain: the ability to turn it up a notch when the game is there to be won. I also value leadership when it comes from the person best suited rather than the one who most desires it.

Huge position. Outside of the Australian cricket captain, is this the most high profile sporting captaincy in the land?

Good summation :). Right with you on Grundy. Grundy has shown this year the attribute this year that as a fan I most like in a captain: the ability to turn it up a notch when the game is there to be won. I also value leadership when it comes from the person best suited rather than the one who most desires it.

Huge position. Outside of the Australian cricket captain, is this the most high profile sporting captaincy in the land?
Rugby captain?
At least in those states NSW, QLd.

Naa dont want him if he asks for a cent over 500k a Season
BJ is the only poster to my knowledge to claim Moore is negotiating a contract with the club. If this is true, I agree that he currently commands no more than $500000. He is surely worth a high draft pick in a strong draft, so his situation has a win/win element to it.

Rugby captain?
At least in those states NSW, QLd.

As a Canberran/Queenslander I would say not so much.

The Wallabies captaincy was once a pretty big deal but Rugby Union is now a shadow of its former self and isn't in the public consciousness much at all these days.

The Kangaroos captaincy isn't really a huge deal as internationals are very much the cherry on the cake for Rugby League rather than the focus of the public's attention. Even though it's been pretty competitive in tecent years we're almost invariably quite strong favourites to win against NZ and England.

The biggest deal in League is SOO and even there the captaincy isn't as scrutinised as day the Collingwood captaincy is. The QLD captain is usually a superstar of the game and it's an honour to be skipper, but that's 3 games a year.

And the game just doesn't really facilitate much emphasis on who is captain, a bit like the way the role of coach has less impact on game day in League than an AFL coach does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adams was runner up in our best and fairest last year.

And he wouldn’t be even close to top 10 this year (Treloar, Phillips, Howe, Grundy, Sidebottom, Pendles, Crisp, Scharenberg, JT, WHE and Dunn). The criticism he’s received in this thread isn’t warranted, but Mayne finished 6th in Fremantle’s the year we recruited him...

Grundy. End thread.

Captaincy is about leadership - not talent.
Maxy was never a great talent , at his lowest ebb many supporters wanted him dropped to the VFL.
Similarly Tom Harley at GEEL.

A good leader, that can rally the troops and keep them focused on and off the field is priceless.
Whether he can take a speccy, or kick miracle goals is irrelevant IMO.

Captaincy is about leadership - not talent.
Maxy was never a great talent , at his lowest ebb many supporters wanted him dropped to the VFL.
Similarly Tom Harley at GEEL.

A good leader, that can rally the troops and keep them focused on and off the field is priceless.
Whether he can take a speccy, or kick miracle goals is irrelevant IMO.
True to an extent, but you also need to lead by example. If your captain is constantly making mistakes it can be hard to keep your head up.

He epitomises everything that you want in a captain. Selfless, humble, hard working, big game performer, a beast on the field and a positive role model for younger members of the group. He is media savvy and as an added bonus is an elite footballer!

I understand the Steele love in, but if Grundy is even remotely interested in the role when Pendles hands it over in 18 months he’s the clear successor in my eyes. I would always err on the side of giving the opportunity to a guy that will be in the role for 5 years or longer which Steele doesn’t offer.

He epitomises everything that you want in a captain. Selfless, humble, hard working, big game performer, a beast on the field and a positive role model for younger members of the group. He is media savvy and as an added bonus is an elite footballer! I understand the Steele love in, but if Grundy is even remotely interested in the role when Pendles hands it over in 18 months he’s the clear successor in my eyes.

Well said mate...…..agree 100% on everything you said about him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back