Opinion Next Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Pendle's will go again in 2019, Sidey will take the crown for a few seasons, and by then I think we'll be looking at one of the young tyro's in Grundy (if he'll take it) or Scharenberg in 2022/3. Will watch with interest the development of a few others like Murphy, Stephenson and Brown because with a few seasons under their belts I reckon they'd all be good candidates.

As a Canberran/Queenslander I would say not so much.

The Wallabies captaincy was once a pretty big deal but Rugby Union is now a shadow of its former self and isn't in the public consciousness much at all these days.

The Kangaroos captaincy isn't really a huge deal as internationals are very much the cherry on the cake for Rugby League rather than the focus of the public's attention. Even though it's been pretty competitive in tecent years we're almost invariably quite strong favourites to win against NZ and England.

The biggest deal in League is SOO and even there the captaincy isn't as scrutinised as day the Collingwood captaincy is. The QLD captain is usually a superstar of the game and it's an honour to be skipper, but that's 3 games a year.

And the game just doesn't really facilitate much emphasis on who is captain, a bit like the way the role of coach has less impact on game day in League than an AFL coach does.
Same....ex-QLDer and Canberran.

I reckon Pendle's will go again in 2019, Sidey will take the crown for a few seasons, and by then I think we'll be looking at one of the young tyro's in Grundy (if he'll take it) or Scharenberg in 2022/3. Will watch with interest the development of a few others like Murphy, Stephenson and Brown because with a few seasons under their belts I reckon they'd all be good candidates.
Yeh it’s a worry. I think there is no ready made replacement for 2019 yet.

Yeh it’s a worry. I think there is no ready made replacement for 2019 yet.

Nah, Sidey could take the role next year but I think Pendle's will go again and I doubt he'd be ousted if he wanted it. Equally, I think Grundy could step up into the role as soon as he declares he wants it.

Big fan of Sidey but can’t see him as Captain. Nor Grundy. JDG somewhere along the line and somehow Phillips or Stephenson (Smokey on this one) down the track.

But wouldn’t we love another Brown or a Daics as future Captain?

Not sure about Moore in terms of staying (trade to Swans or delist). Breaks down too much for a young kid. Though we did persist with shaz and he’s coming good now.

We don’t really have a replacement for Pendles so he probably has to go again. Maybe Grundy if we have to find someone new

We don’t really have a replacement for Pendles so he probably has to go again. Maybe Grundy if we have to find someone new

Sidey's done a great job when he's had to step into the role so I'm not sure how that wouldn't translate into something more permanent if needed.

No standouts for the job that I can see.
I can see how Grundy would be a chance.
Treloar possibly in time.
Sidey would have been a year or two ago, but now it would be a token thing, not that he does not deserve it. I can't see Steele being one for that sort of accolade. I always had Beams in the frame but he ran away.
Personally I don't think our next long term Captain is on the list yet...and it is not Lynch.

So....Grundy after Pendles, reasonably quickly followed by ...................................

Personally would hand it over to Steele at the start of next season with a view for him to hold it for 2-3 years.

Steele will go close to playing 300 games in the black and white and has remained to the club when many other of his premiership teammates weren't (for various reasons, I know). He has been a good stand in captain and clearly has the respect of the group, plus Pendles will still be there for support.

If we aimed to transition to the next captain after Steele in 2021 for example, Brodie and Adams would be 27, Treloar 28, Phillips/Maynard/De Goey/Moore/Scharenberg 25. From there you'd imagine a worthy candidate would emerge.

My money would be on Grundy.

It hasnt been the Collingwood way to force a captain into "retirement" just because somebody three years younger needs a turn. The only time I recall that a senior player late in his career was handed the captaincy was the one year tenure to Burns. But in that case he was simply the best available even though we knew it would only be a year. And it was after a retirement (Buckley).

Steele whilst being an excellent candidate might just miss out and a younger player like Grundy is more likely. The only situation where I see Steele being captain is if Pendlebury voluntarily steps down in 2019. Dont see why he would or why he should.

Cant see Adams being Captain. Treloar definitely though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big fan of Sidey but can’t see him as Captain. Nor Grundy. JDG somewhere along the line and somehow Phillips or Stephenson (Smokey on this one) down the track.

But wouldn’t we love another Brown or a Daics as future Captain?

Not sure about Moore in terms of staying (trade to Swans or delist). Breaks down too much for a young kid. Though we did persist with shaz and he’s coming good now.
Sidey has Captain runs on the board already, and takes a lot of those duties game day even when Pendles is playing.
I’d like not to burden Grundy with Captaincy while he is still developing. Not sure he wants it anyway.
I am aghast that anyone considers JDG as Captain material. His off paddock record is appalling and not the type of culture to be cultivated at the club.

Sidey has Captain runs on the board already, and takes a lot of those duties game day even when Pendles is playing.
I’d like not to burden Grundy with Captaincy while he is still developing. Not sure he wants it anyway.

Completely agree with this.

I am aghast that anyone considers JDG as Captain material. His off paddock record is appalling and not the type of culture to be cultivated at the club.

I don't think anyone's suggesting he could be captain now, but he's certainly not beyond redemption in that regard. Who knows after a couple of years?
Hodge wasn't a bad skipper!

Not saying now re JDG. Eventually I see the merits. Refer to our own Swanny and different code but I hear good things about Warney as captain yet never Captained the baggy green.

F....Off!!!!!!!! I will power puke everywhere if Adams is ever appointed captain. Captain shanker can't kick for s**t poor decision maker Adams as our spiritual leader and figurehead. Seriously!!!! I think I'd prefer Captain not the sharpest tool in the shed Maynard!

Sidey will be too old when Pendles steps down..

Howe
Grundy
Scharenberg
Treloar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back