Next captain

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this may sound odd considering his age and that Cotch is stepping down and is younger.But if the indications are there for him to play on for a 2 more years(end of 2023) i'd love to see Shedda as captain.As demostrated in the Dreamtime game where all the Boys whore a shirt with #10 on it just shows the respect he has amongst the group.
By the end of 2023 Jack Jack Graham that is should be ready to takeover.

We have a few who I'd suggest could be Captain...Shane, Kane, Jack G, Tiger, Grimes, to name a few....🤩

Rance :)

on a more serious note
the hints probably come from who fronts the media more often, as that is a big part of being Captain
Grimmes , Lambert , Edwards , Riewoldt , Houli

Edwards , Houli & Riewoldt might be seen as too old to start
although Edwards might been seen as able to play longer than Riewoldt

Grimmes maybe ready close to retirement and post football things

Lambert , speaks well

Graham has been touted as a future captain for a long time but would need him to be permanent top 22
and Short could be emerging , did he go on that leader thing to Brazil a few years back ?

the role of captain has a bit in it , they would need internal respect plus be able to cope with the media and other more social type commitments

to mine it could be a battle between Edwards & Lambert

but onfield its Dusty
he is leading , in general play he will , quietly, direct play
during a final , cant remember which one , at 3/4 qtr , he went to each player
made eye contact ,
sometimes a word , but mostly a nod of the head or a tap on the arm , back etc
but went to every player in the huddle and got their eye contact

and when that guy is Dusty "Norm Smith" Martin that eyeballs you
you'll proudly follow him into battle and you will your body to do anything that he wants
he doesn't need to be a great oritor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a few who I'd suggest could be Captain...Shane, Kane, Jack G, Tiger, Grimes, to name a few....🤩
Think the list below can be named and be all worthy.lol

B: David Astbury, Dylan Grimes, Noah Balta

HB: Liam Baker, Nick Vlastuin, Bachar Houli

C: Kamdyn McIntosh, Dion Prestia, Marlion Pickett

HF: Kane Lambert, Jason Castagna, Dustin Martin

F: Tom Lynch, Jack Riewoldt, Daniel Rioli

FOLL: Toby Nankervis, Shane Edwards, Trent Cotchin

I/C: Jack Graham, Shai Bolton, Jayden Short, Nathan Broad

Shorty should be on the "short" list

Jack Graham

Vlas

Prestia even

Fortunately we have lots of good options, and whoever gets the nod will do a superb job while those that missed out will be unlucky to miss out

We are lucky in that we have so many worthy candidates, I’d be happy with any of
Graham
Vlaustin
Grimes
Lynch
Shedda.

Left big Nank out of that list because while he’d inspire on field, I could see him inserting the mic where the sun doesn’t shine when BT attempts one of his post match interviews

Can't see it happening but would love to see Dusty as Captain. He could do it his own way - no media bs, other blokes can do that.

important they dont give it to someone that it would be a burden

example - from the little I've seen of Dave Astbury , he seems like a shy quiet person and the public speaking and appearances required of an AFL captain might be a struggle plus to the times where Cotch has addressed the whole group with a pep talk or rev up might not sit easy with him
Dave has looked ok talking with the backline when they break out at groups
that said at this point in time it might be an easy gig , well drilled , self motivated group with core values well entrenched

maybe they have to find a candidate that doesn't have a premiership medallion , they'll be hungry and driven

If Edwards wanted it, and he still had 2-3 years left when it came up, i'd 100% give it to him, Smart, inspirational to teammates, trusted. Grimes would make a great captain for the same reasons as Edwards. Lynch has done it before. Lambert seems switched on and to have respect in the group. There's a few options.

I couldn't really care less about the Vlas/Chol thing, but it really wasn't a good look for him if he's an aspiring leader. I think you need to have grown out of that sort of stuff to a degree to captain a club with big memberships and big sponsorship dollars on the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back