• Total voters

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
In all seriousness he'd be ideal in the SANFL role. Won't do it, but we should.
In all seriousness, he doesn't really strike me as the leadership type. Would be good in the SANFL for development.

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Sloane will have a better year this year, can't be worse than his injury-ridden plague year of 2020 when we finished bottom.

If he can hold out a couple more years I'd keep my eye on Riley Thilthorpe, our most talented player, obsessed by footy, playing midfield, and resting at full-forward, could be a real leader and is one to watch.

Doedee of course, but is looking to trajectory similar to Ottens unfortunately.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can't see Sloane not being captain in 2021. Smithers probably the next in line imo.

Doodee will be a captain one day if he sticks with the club, but not yet
They will continue with Sloane but I'm hoping he does the right thing end of the year and he takes the decision out of their hands. He will be nearly 32 at the end of this year and there are better options. Would give it to ROB and sign him up on a 5 year deal. Doedee would make a good captain as well but there's no guarantee he will play more than 10-15 games a year imo.

bootrossbootross

minor rules infractor
Jan 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
That first bit has very little with what it means to be a captain.

Yes, I prefer a one dimensional player as Captain who doesn't get the ball and lacks real courage (but trys to hide it with misdirected aggression). Havent we tried enough of these types cos they good blokes?

Can you name a premiership captain in the AFL era that doesnt score highly in "That first bit has very little with what it means to be a captain."?

bootrossbootross

minor rules infractor
Jan 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Who cares who the captain is?

I could not think of a less important role.

Grant Thomas had it right ... toss the coin? FFS.

All these players that say it is a privilege to be captain, an honour to be captain ... why?

Leadership is leadership - it shouldn't matter if you have some bestowed title or not.

I mean it's one step from some watery tart throwing a sword at you!

Maybe some merit in some of that, even if a touch of sociopath about it though.

Ebert, Cahill, Kerley, Barassi, Tuck, Kernahan, Carey, Worsfold, Hodge, Voss, Cotchin might disagree with you.

How many great sides have a slice of wet fish as Captain? Why is that i wonder? Truly great Player led sides need a strong Captain.

Now if you were talking about coaches - Id be more inclined to agree with your sentiments in full.

Yes, I prefer a one dimensional player as Captain who doesn't get the ball and lacks real courage (but trys to hide it with misdirected aggression). Havent we tried enough of these types cos they good blokes?

Can you name a premiership captain in the AFL era that doesnt score highly in "That first bit has very little with what it means to be a captain."?

Shannon Hurn?
Robert Murphy/Easton Wood?
Nick Maxwell?
Tom Harley?

Hurn and Murphy (if you want to count the dogs O.G. captain in 2016) both have made their name with their play off half-back and skill with the ball in hand, not general hardness. Wood is a very forgettable player who made his name as a mid-sized defender. Would be like us having Kelly/McPherson/Brown as captain, in terms of role. Maxwell is another in that category of would have been an entirely forgettable player if he wasn't captain. Harley was a damn good defender but didn't get a whole lot of the ball either.

Really, you do not need your captain to be a midfielder who wins a lot of the ball. It's easier to be captain if you are that, because you avoid copping unnecessary criticism from nuffies who thinks that is what makes a captain. All that really matters is the dressing room looks up to you as a human, and will run through a brick wall for you (much like a large portion of the battle for a coach is to get genuine buy-in), and your spot isn't in danger in the near future.

Last edited:

bootrossbootross

minor rules infractor
Jan 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Shannon Hurn?
Nick Maxwell?
Tom Harley?

Hurn and Murphy (if you want to count the dogs O.G. captain in 2016) both have made their name with their play off half-back and skill with the ball in hand, not general hardness. Wood is a very forgettable player who made his name as a mid-sized defender. Would be like us having Kelly/McPherson/Brown as captain, in terms of role. Maxwell is another in that category of would have been an entirely forgettable player if he wasn't captain. Harley was a damn good defender but didn't get a whole lot of the ball either.

Really, you do not need your captain to be a midfielder who wins a lot of the ball. It's easier to be captain if you are that, because you avoid copping unnecessary criticism from nuffies who thinks that is what makes a captain. All that really matters is the dressing room looks up to you as a human, and will run through a brick wall for you (much like a large portion of the battle for a coach is to get genuine buy-in), and your spot isn't in danger in the near future.

I didnt mention midfielder, and I agree getting a lot of the ball is not critical (although getting it at least occasionally helps, unlike our Adelaide captains).

Dont take this personally, but given you have raised these names as a rebuttal, i shall just return your rebuttal by asking which of these men would you continue running at if they were coming at you? Shannon Hurn/Easton Wood/Nick MAxwell/Tom Hurley not hard? Cmon guy, that radelaide wackybacky must still be top notch.

A couple of points -

1) I dont recall ever seeing any of those names you raised taking a sideways step, in fact I can recall most of them getting poleaxed multiple times putting their bodies on the line - action ion field is what makes hardness, not "reputation for hardness". Contrast that with some of on field actions of the last decades Adelaide captains.

2) Dont lose focus on the ball friend - we want a player led dynasty, a great team, not "just" a premiership team. The bulldogs demonstrated, like the Crows premiership teams, that getting it right in September can steal you a flag even when not close to being the best minor round team. The names I listed were captains of great sides, not just good ones.

I didnt mention midfielder, and I agree getting a lot of the ball is not critical (although getting it at least occasionally helps, unlike our Adelaide captains).

Dont take this personally, but given you have raised these names as a rebuttal, i shall just return your rebuttal by asking which of these men would you continue running at if they were coming at you? Shannon Hurn/Easton Wood/Nick MAxwell/Tom Hurley not hard? Cmon guy, that radelaide wackybacky must still be top notch.

A couple of points -

1) I dont recall ever seeing any of those names you raised taking a sideways step, in fact I can recall most of them getting poleaxed multiple times putting their bodies on the line - action ion field is what makes hardness, not "reputation for hardness". Contrast that with some of on field actions of the last decades Adelaide captains.

2) Dont lose focus on the ball friend - we want a player led dynasty, a great team, not "just" a premiership team. The bulldogs demonstrated, like the Crows premiership teams, that getting it right in September can steal you a flag even when not close to being the best minor round team. The names I listed were captains of great sides, not just good ones.

Most likely I'd think twice about running at any AFL footballer, whilst I might have an AFL footballer build (+a generous serving of kilos), I don't rate my chances against the David Mackays of this world in that regard.

Though of course, there are some (relatively) soft as butter players who have been poleaxed a few times as well. You cannot always avoid the contest, no matter how hard you try after all. Those players I listed mainly because they were either outside players or one-dimensional/role players. They weren't the players to drag a team to victory, they were just cogs in a machine elevated to a leadership position. No different to Tex, and no different to Doedee when he gets the gig, which providing he can stay healthy, is all but his from how the club has marketed him in the last couple of years.

Reality is, with this generation, I will fully accept a side that jags a premiership in the next 10 years mixed in with a lot of mediocracy. After all, increasing that premiership counter is what matters, no matter how it is achieved. After all, the bad years are eventually forgotten, the premiership remains. How many people think 1999 has relevance, whereas you probably can't go a week on this board without 1998 being mentioned.

The goal is a dynasty, but a lot of luck goes into building one of those teams.

bootrossbootross

minor rules infractor
Jan 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Most likely I'd think twice about running at any AFL footballer, whilst I might have an AFL footballer build (+a generous serving of kilos), I don't rate my chances against the David Mackays of this world in that regard.

Though of course, there are some (relatively) soft as butter players who have been poleaxed a few times as well. You cannot always avoid the contest, no matter how hard you try after all. Those players I listed mainly because they were either outside players or one-dimensional/role players. They weren't the players to drag a team to victory, they were just cogs in a machine elevated to a leadership position. No different to Tex, and no different to Doedee when he gets the gig, which providing he can stay healthy, is all but his from how the club has marketed him in the last couple of years.

Reality is, with this generation, I will fully accept a side that jags a premiership in the next 10 years mixed in with a lot of mediocracy. After all, increasing that premiership counter is what matters, no matter how it is achieved. After all, the bad years are eventually forgotten, the premiership remains. How many people think 1999 has relevance, whereas you probably can't go a week on this board without 1998 being mentioned.

The goal is a dynasty, but a lot of luck goes into building one of those teams.

Indeed, points well made.

But 20 years of degenerative talent syndrome across the organisation shouldnt stop us wanting a dynasty, nor demanding the club selects the right folk for that. Not sure they have showed much in that regard even now.

Given i cant really see a name jumping out that could comfortably sit at the top of any of those great teams, i rest on one simple question - who can best get amongst it and help arrest/reverse the dreaded momentum downturns the cros have been plagued with for so long. This is what the Hodges/Voss'/Cotchin etc could/can do.

If Doedee is that then great, but will he be given the license to do it on ground or will he be pilloried for not holding structure?

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe some merit in some of that, even if a touch of sociopath about it though.

Ebert, Cahill, Kerley, Barassi, Tuck, Kernahan, Carey, Worsfold, Hodge, Voss, Cotchin might disagree with you.

How many great sides have a slice of wet fish as Captain? Why is that i wonder? Truly great Player led sides need a strong Captain.

Now if you were talking about coaches - Id be more inclined to agree with your sentiments in full.
Your point? Listing players that are good and were captains is missing my point entirely.

If you think the coach doesn't matter, but the captain does - I feel like we should probably leave it here.

Last edited:

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd love to see Doedee in the role, purely because he's an outstanding player and appears to be well liked by most around him. He also seems very comfortable when fronting the media. However, he needs to prove his body right this season before he should be considered.

I think we have to look at someone 22-25 years old, because Sloane is likely to remain captain for another 2 years, assuming he remains fit. Guys like Talia, Smith and Brown would be too old by then as captain-in-waiting.
Who else is young and also in the leadership group? Matt Crouch, might be a fair choice?
I also wouldn't mind seeing Fog consolidate his place in the regulars this year, and him being considered as possible future captain.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Don't know who should be our next captain but I'm fairly confident Sloane is not a good captain at all. I would give it to ROB as he leads by example and is probably close to our best player. Also speaks very well in the media and seems a great bloke.
That’s a good candidate. Now a leaning.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
If you needed another captain right now, maybe Lynch, even though I'd prefer him replaced by a faster or more aggressive player.

Matt Crouch is a chance for 2022 if he continues his late 2020 form and Doedee continues to be riddled with injury.

McPherson is one I could see in the leadership group sooner rather than later. Ditto Hately.
McPherson is a good call out here. He’s definitely upped his article towards front page.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sloane is not a good captain. But they are not going to give the captaincy to a player if there is a non-zero chance there is a video of them ranking the non-white races from best to worst.
I’m not ”white“. KUWTK rules.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
If you weren't a crows fan, you'd still think Tex was the captain the way he is front and centre with media (excluding AFC.com.au), plus the way players always say he is great on the track with voice.
That’s because he’s our soul.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
They will continue with Sloane but I'm hoping he does the right thing end of the year and he takes the decision out of their hands. He will be nearly 32 at the end of this year and there are better options. Would give it to ROB and sign him up on a 5 year deal. Doedee would make a good captain as well but there's no guarantee he will play more than 10-15 games a year imo.
Maybe the safest bet is to give a ruckman a five yr deal. I’m in total agreeance with the logic of Doedee capacity to get on the park.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Shannon Hurn?
Nick Maxwell?
Tom Harley?

Sure, but you failed to mention where three of the last four came from.
I enjoy your musings though.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

A couple of points -

You’ve had a couple points bootross.

Rags_118

Team Captain
Nov 19, 2020
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Blacks, West Ham, Rangers
Not the next captain. Not the one after that. But I expect Pedlar to captain the Crows.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
1614290567615.png

Today's member email.
Looks like that it's Sloane again.

Back