Opinion Next Captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

you would say Wines and it most probably should be, but to be serious this guy has been indoctrinated by Hinkley since day 1, I said at the time of the 2 captains debacle that there is little evidence of real leadership from Wines as a leader of men out or off the field and im still no convinced that he is the right man. The reasoning as to Wines at the time was because it was Hinkley pushing him to be the next captain, there was nothing on field to say that he was and he was actually very vanilla on-field in the 2 years prior. Since then he has got his on-field game together but i still dont see any actual leadership qualities in him. I think it would be a big mistake to just say Wines is our most senior consistant player and therefore he should be captain, as it might actually start him going backwards, who knows? A left field choice would be SPP? He could actually be a very good captain and a guy with his temperament does have leadership qualities. You find guys who are rat bags early on actually mature well and at least he flys the flag but i couldnt imagine him chirping Hinkley's doctrine every week like the brown-noser Wines would.

Is this even a question?
Why not? I rate Marshall’s level temperament and character above most on the list and he commits to the 1%ers .. tackles well and puts his body on the line. Has most of the characteristics Riewoldt had. He’s bound to back it up in ‘23 performance wise.

you would say Wines and it most probably should be, but to be serious this guy has been indoctrinated by Hinkley since day 1, I said at the time of the 2 captains debacle that there is little evidence of real leadership from Wines as a leader of men out or off the field and im still no convinced that he is the right man. The reasoning as to Wines at the time was because it was Hinkley pushing him to be the next captain, there was nothing on field to say that he was and he was actually very vanilla on-field in the 2 years prior. Since then he has got his on-field game together but i still dont see any actual leadership qualities in him. I think it would be a big mistake to just say Wines is our most senior consistant player and therefore he should be captain, as it might actually start him going backwards, who knows? A left field choice would be SPP? He could actually be a very good captain and a guy with his temperament does have leadership qualities. You find guys who are rat bags early on actually mature well and at least he flys the flag but i couldnt imagine him chirping Hinkley's doctrine every week like the brown-noser Wines would.
Probably needs more midfield minutes to entertain?.. but a worthy leader if he continues 22’s form no doubt.

Those are the last people I'd consider.
Put it this way, Marshall only needs to improve another 5% which I’d expect in ‘23 to end up being rated as one of our most important/best players.. the only reason/s you’d dismiss him as a potential candidate is if his off field endeavours and whether he demands respect from the playing group is not up to scratch, which he obviously does. Imagine if he improves another 10% and bags 50+ in ‘23.

100% has to be Wines, he is ready. It would ridiculous to appoint anyone else!

One key next step in Wines's development is to lead the group post Hinkley, whether he likes the idea of Hinkley leaving or not, maybe even more so if he doesn't like the idea of Hinkley leaving.

I'd just let Marshall be Marshall. Will still have his on and off days like a lot of talented key forwards. Let Allir "intercept" the VC role by example, inspiring when he has one of those good marking days. Smokey for VC... Finlayson, along the same lines as Allir. If he continues his late season form.

Put it this way, Marshall only needs to improve another 5% which I’d expect in ‘23 to end up being rated as one of our most important/best players.. the only reason/s you’d dismiss him as a potential candidate is if his off field endeavours and whether he demands respect from the playing group is not up to scratch, which he obviously does. Imagine if he improves another 10% and bags 50+ in ‘23.

He's had one very good season - 2022's breakout. I'd rather let him focus on his own game and be really consistent.
Your best player doesn't have to be captain.

He's had one very good season - 2022's breakout. I'd rather let him focus on his own game and be really consistent.
Your best player doesn't have to be captain.
I see him as one of our most important players already, imagine losing him and he’s still only 23. It’s pretty clear he has the appropriate characteristics and temperament outside of his performance to lead.. strong work ethic and discipline, reminds me of a young Riewoldt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Captain shouldn't just be your best player.

Todd is young and plays forward. He hasnt to my knowledge even been in the leadership team yet.

Let Todd continue to improve, and become a superstar forward. Doesnt need to even be thinking of the captaincy right now.

Although i'm in the rare group that thinks Jonas has actually been a pretty good captain for us, the time is right now for him to pass on the duties to Ollie. With Rozee and Butters the Vice Captains.
So the options outside of wines are one of our young guns, there isn’t really an obvious stand out whose played 100+ games. Says a fair bit about the list atm

The captain doesn’t need to be the best player. Boak had the respect of the playing group, but he wasn’t the best player - he was a very good player but not the best. You need a captain to set standards (training, recovery, etc)
Personally I think Xavier Duursma has potential to be a great captain in the future, but needs to get a consistent run to develop his own game first.
For now we lack leaders both on field & off - realistically Ollie is our best option, but if Dunkley were to choose Port then I would consider him for the captaincy.

Plenty of options but depends on what you want/expect and for how long.

Wines is the obvious next captain. He wants it and the coaches wanted him. Players chose Jonas.

We have a number of players that are ‘leaders’ and respected - Lycett, Dixon, Boak, Gray (retired).

Houston, DBJ, Burton - all could be reasonable options.
Dan has the passion and isn’t all about footy. Maybe a tad ‘loose’
DBJ is already in the leadership group.
Burton has the talent, is first 22, seems popular with fans and the players.

Duursma could be in the future - would really fit. But give him time to develop and cement himself. Same for Todd.
Rozee - who knows?
Butters is cheeky and in your face, - who knows if he has captain qualities?

Aliir is left field but wouldn’t mind it.

Houston, DBJ, Burton - all could be reasonable options.
Dan has the passion and isn’t all about footy. Maybe a tad ‘loose’

I'm not sure Houston entirely deserves the trust so many want to place in him. He's only a couple of years removed from getting caught doing lines of choof off Ladhams' Peter, and costing us a non-trivial whack of soft cap money in the process.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back