• Other Option

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • Noah Cumberland

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Taranto

Votes: 19 12.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He has a afl best stat. Leading free kicks against.
just goes to show how much the umpires hate us, another contender for the captaincy was Liam Baker..... a similar style in the same "head over the footy" tenacious style as joel selwood...... baker gets 48 frees yet somehow gives away 92 in the past 3 seasons. what a farce :mad:

I can’t believe the negativity from you *ers towards Nank

*n warrior and no doubt the players walk taller with him out there.

He’s also a large part of recent success. Short memories.

3 time premiership ruckman. Rucked solo in 2017. Was one of the big differences in the way we played helping us to break a 37 year drought. I've never forgotten that. Nank has earned the right I reckon. 2024 he will have an emerging Ryan and experience of Naismith for good backup help.

The playing group have a fair say in who captains them, they had the opportunity to switch with some quality candidates involved and stuck with Nank.

I've been critical of the decisions around Soldo leaving etc., but this is a group who know a thing or two about what a good captain is like and if they reckon he's the best man for the job, that's a good enough endorsement for me. :thumbsu:

Very surprised with this. Would’ve thought Taranto for sure!
For the record, I’ve barely heard Nank speak. Doesn’t feel like ‘captaincy’ material. His on field aggression is great, but is it enough qualities to lead this team going forward? Hoping to be proved wrong and he plays a full season and steps up a few gears which is needed.

This was a opportunity to bring a fresh captain with the new coach. Lost opportunity i reckon to give a younger captain like baker time and experience. Old guys should supporting now. If guys like nank are getting captain it should have been jack 2 years ago instead then we transition to younger generation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After seeing what Cotch, Selwood & Hodge did 3 of the best captains of the AFL era, I have to say I am a fan of young captains growing into the role.

Nevermind the disaster that was Co-Captains, I always thought Nank was an odd choice given he seemed "quiet" and reserved individual.

I tried to give him a chance with an open mind but let's be honest... it hasn't worked nothing Nank has done has impressed me since he has had the role + the injuries and suspensions, etc

He doesn't inspire me, everyone from the media, opposition supporters & our fans say Liam Baker plays like our captain yet your telling me our own playing group can't see it? which leads me into he probably doesn't want to be captain if that's the case playing group should have been behind him & give him confidence.

Like others have said how have we gone from premiership years of Cotchin looking like we have several leaders to having none? no one wants to step up that has been the most disappointing thing Vlastuin & Graham should have been traded a couple of years ago imo.

Just because Nank don’t speak much to the media (as with Dusty) does not mean he don’t speak with the players. So who are we to judge?

Saying that, who will our spokesman be that reporters will target after a win? With Rance, Crotchin and Reiwoldt gone, media will probably hope we don’t win to many. :p

A big part of the captaincy is the "follow me" type moments that can inspire the rest of the team. Cotchin would pull of a great tackle or dive in head first. I haven't seen Nank do anything "inspiring" when the chips were down in games. Sure he takes some well timed marks in the past but I haven't seen him win a contest through nothing but sheer force of will like Cotch did.

Also people stuck in the past saying "look at his accolades" etc are just wrong. Take that logic to the extreme and we may as well dig up Dyer and make his rotting corpse captain because he has the best "History and achievements".

Very happy with this choice Nank is a born leader
Well done tiger

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Yeah. Grimes felt like a stretch as Captain. Co captaincy felt awkward. Grimes seems borderline best 22.
Nank, first ruck probably more secure in his position in the 22.
Nank really dialled his attack on the ball down a bit I felt.
I think he reigned in the frees against.
I don't mind Nank suspensions.
Midfield didn't quite work last year.
Nank, Ryan, Soldo Cotch Prestia Bolton, Dusty Graham TT and JH delivered us 13th.

I hope Yze can just fine some things

A big part of the captaincy is the "follow me" type moments that can inspire the rest of the team. Cotchin would pull of a great tackle or dive in head first. I haven't seen Nank do anything "inspiring" when the chips were down in games. Sure he takes some well timed marks in the past but I haven't seen him win a contest through nothing but sheer force of will like Cotch did.

Also people stuck in the past saying "look at his accolades" etc are just wrong. Take that logic to the extreme and we may as well dig up Dyer and make his rotting corpse captain because he has the best "History and achievements".
I don't really care who is Captain. There's leaders in any group of people. Training and off field can demonstrate those qualities. Dusty has a lot of leadership qualities but not captaining RFC. I loved Royce Hart No 4.

I watched us in the 60s I LOVED Cotch psycho attack on the ball.

Think about 200cm Nanks game style. Not guaranteed to win easy Centre hit outs but he was like a mid with the amount of psycho tackles he laid. Soldo inherted that from Nank. Nank gets his hands on the ball after hit out too.

As. far as Cotch having match winning efforts. IMO neither he nor Nank won us any close games since the flag.

Cotch was not inspirational in the final loss to brizzy. Nank stuffed up an opportunity to ice a game and failed. The 5 to 1 in the lions goal square.

If channeling Capt Blood was a criteria I couldn't think of a better player than Nank.

TT should be a fixture in the 22 unless what Yze is demanding is too difficult for the current list we end up on the bottom.
May be interest in Baker in the west. Suns can have the excess pressure fwds, and half backs

Last edited:
Not sure who else people think should have been captain. Can only imagine Dusty was asked and declined, so outside of him not sure who else people think was going to be a better option

After seeing what Cotch, Selwood & Hodge did 3 of the best captains of the AFL era, I have to say I am a fan of young captains growing into the role.

Nevermind the disaster that was Co-Captains, I always thought Nank was an odd choice given he seemed "quiet" and reserved individual.

I tried to give him a chance with an open mind but let's be honest... it hasn't worked nothing Nank has done has impressed me since he has had the role + the injuries and suspensions, etc

He doesn't inspire me, everyone from the media, opposition supporters & our fans say Liam Baker plays like our captain yet your telling me our own playing group can't see it? which leads me into he probably doesn't want to be captain if that's the case playing group should have been behind him & give him confidence.

Like others have said how have we gone from premiership years of Cotchin looking like we have several leaders to having none? no one wants to step up that has been the most disappointing thing Vlastuin & Graham should have been traded a couple of years ago imo.
reckon baker doesnt want it cos he has an eye on going home to wa in a year or 2

reckon baker doesnt want it cos he has an eye on going home to wa in a year or 2
Hard to say with Bakes because his home and family is still like 3 hours away from Perth

So the prospect of playing in WA won’t mean he is really going to see his family and friends any more or less and that is generally the main factor in wanting to return “home”

Where he has lived in Melbourne now for the best part of 5 years and has now established connections here
Dunno if he has a Mrs but chances are she would be from Melbourne now as well

If he was a Perth local or even one of the closer city’s like Fremantle or Mandurah I would be more worried

Back