Next Coach Sacked - 2023 edition

Next coached sacked or forced to resign.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Dew and Hinley probably want and need to make finals.

Voss and Beveridge will be under some pressure without finals as well.

Not sure about Simpson. WC probably in a rebuilt now. Need to decide wether they want him or somebody else to do the job.

Most other are somehow reasonably safe. But serious underachieving on clubs expectaion probably can trouble most coaches past their second year.

Good
Dew and Hinley probably want and need to make finals.

Voss and Beveridge will be under some pressure without finals as well.

Not sure about Simpson. WC probably in a rebuilt now. Need to decide wether they want him or somebody else to do the job.

Most other are somehow reasonably safe. But serious underachieving on clubs expectaion probably can trouble most coaches past their second year.
I agree, good observation on Simpson. Nicks could be a Smokey if the Crows put in a lame first half of the season. B Scott can help his longevity by having the team show up fit, interested and ready in round 1 (for something completely different) and avoiding the etched-in annual pantsing from Geelong and Richmond

Nicks, Dew, Simpson and Hinkley probably the only 4 I can see going mid-season

Can also see Fagan or Voss going end of the season if dont reach internal expectation.

Beyond those 6? Extremely unlikely.

I'll go with Simpson first ("Mutual agreement") followed by Hinkley at season's end ("Contract not renewed")

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very safe:
Flags: C. Scott, Hardwick, Longmire, Goodwin,
Bevo (just signed extension)
1st year: B. Scott, Kingsley, R. Lyon, Clarkson*
Macrae - excellent first year
Mitchell - will get to year 3 regardless of results

On solid footing:
Longmuir - would face heat for a complete disaster but as little as 9+ wins with excuses sees him through and they should do that.
Voss - good first year minus the last 5 minutes in close games, would have to go backwards fast to not get a 3rd year

A few cracks:
Simpson - can see him jumping ship if it's a long rebuild, but otherwise should be allowed to start the build
Fagan* - done a fantastic job but he's 61, his sides have been found out in finals at times and he's out of contract, wouldn't be crazy if the Lions bought in a fresh voice. Bit of a Hinkley of the North without the same fan pressure.

Needing results:
Hinkley - right or wrong he's done if they don't finish top 4
Dew - has done a good job but if he went 6 years without finals and kept the job that would be somewhat incredible
Nicks - 4 years without finals would be the Adelaide equivalent of GC doing it for 6, has to at least be knocking on the door

I don't get the dislike for Ken Hinkley. He's one of the longest serving coaches and he's not going anywhere.
And votes for Beveridge who just signed a new contract.
One of the longest serving coaches...to not make a grand final. In fact, the longest serving coach.

He's also out of contract, has had his President openly discuss his future and coaches a talented list with one of the better recruiting/trading footy departments. Plus they might've even bought in his replacement to work under him for a year if you believe some reports.

Some Port fans genuinely thing he's not a good coach. They are wrong, he's definitely a good coach. But if Port aren't on the doorstep of winning a flag this year it's probably time for him to be a good coach at another club and get someone fresh to take over at Port.

Crows fans got pretty upset in the ladder prediction thread when I raised how hard the first half of their draw is and how they could spiral rather than push for finals if they don't start reasonably well, but this might be the thread to discuss it as it will dictate Nicks' future.

He really needs to knock off a couple of finalist early or they'll come for him, I feel.

I might be a bit harsh on the Crows as I reckon that if we've got the worst midfield in the comp then the Crows have the second worst and I don't think much of their defense either, but up to the bye they play 6 of the 2022 finalists which is a hard run, and they also face Port and Blues, who most see as sides that will rise.

Will 5 wins to halfway mark be ok? Or does the AFC expect more?

If they don't knock off the Giants, Hawks and Saints and they lose all of the bolded games below, which they'll be doing well not to, they'll be 0-9, Nicks' papers are probably stamped and he'll be a dead man walking by June.

R1 - Giants 50/50
R2 - Tigers - L
R3 - Port
- L
R4 - Dockers
- L
R5 - Blues
- L
R6 - Hawks 50/50
R7 - Pies - L
R8 - Cats
- L
R9 - Saints 50/50
R10 - Dogs L
R11 - Lions - L
R12 - Suns 50/50
R13 - Eagles 50/50

They're my big watch going into 2023, as Nicks' already has some detractors amongst Crows fans/members and even with the challenging start to the year they'll expect some wins against a couple of more highly fancied sides at home.

there is cross town rivalry and then there is this type of posting

take this to the bay please!
The guy just doesn't want someone to lose their job.

Is that a crime?

Crows fans got pretty upset in the ladder prediction thread when I raised how hard the first half of their draw is and how they could spiral rather than push for finals if they don't start reasonably well, but this might be the thread to discuss it as it will dictate Nicks' future.

He really needs to knock off a couple of finalist early or they'll come for him, I feel.

I might be a bit harsh on the Crows as I reckon that if we've got the worst midfield in the comp then the Crows have the second worst and I don't think much of their defense either, but up to the bye they play 6 of the 2022 finalists which is a hard run, and they also face Port and Blues, who most see as sides that will rise.

Will 5 wins to halfway mark be ok? Or does the AFC expect more?

If they don't knock off the Giants, Hawks and Saints and they lose all of the bolded games below, which they'll be doing well not to, they'll be 0-9, Nicks' papers are probably stamped and he'll be a dead man walking by June.

R1 - Giants 50/50
R2 - Tigers - L
R3 - Port
- L
R4 - Dockers
- L
R5 - Blues
- L
R6 - Hawks 50/50
R7 - Pies - L
R8 - Cats
- L
R9 - Saints 50/50
R10 - Dogs L
R11 - Lions - L
R12 - Suns 50/50
R13 - Eagles 50/50

They're my big watch going into 2023, as Nicks' already has some detractors amongst Crows fans/members and even with the challenging start to the year they'll expect some wins against a couple of more highly fancied sides at home.
With Scott Burns already there as well...

Nicks is certainly under pressure even though I think he's done a good job with limited resources.

Crows recruitment team burnt multiple first rounders since 2018, not sure you can blame Nicks for a lack of quality. Team works hard.

I don't want him to go but surely Ken is no1. I don't know where the level is but surely its at least top 6? Even then I feel like getting knocked out in a semi and getting an extension could be too much for Port fans to bare.

Dew not far behind.

I'd also sack Voss the moment Carlton were mathematically out of finals (if it happened). List is way too good not to play finals again.

Ken
Dew
Voss

Ross Lyon - Saints get their revenge on the man that deserted them.
Clause 34.2 (a) of his contract states that if St Kilda FC sack him mid term Lyon is entitled to be paid 5x his annual salary

Most look safe to me, including Kenny Koala, but I always think that.

My focus is on five established Premiership Coaches.

* Simpson has an ordinary and ageing list. The signs of the WCE decline were there when they reportedly struggled in the lock down period. Should their performance be similar to 2022, I reckon Simmo will call time.

* While Bevo re-signed, his team struggled against top Oppo. His public appearances were increasingly eccentric and Im not talking about the episode with the former Fox idiot. A fall back to mid ladder would surprise few. How Bevo responds to this and public pressure could be an interesting ‘watch this space’. He may pull the pin.

* Clarkson takes on the task of scaling Everest. North however are not at base camp, but occupy a cellar at Arden St. He also has the ongoing Inquiry bubbling away, the possibility of adverse findings and potential legal battles. Of course North would keep him even if there no improvements on 2022 or even if they went winless (which no one wants or expects). Clarkson has always seemed the most competitive of coaches. I wonder if the year off has been sufficient a break? It would be a shock if he pulled the pin in 2023, but not so much if he finished up in 2024

* Horse like his close mate Clarkson is a competitive beast. He presides over a handy young list that did well in 2022 but copped a royal flogging in the GF. At season end, he looked physically spent. He has returned looking better and in good spirits. His contract is up for renewal. I predict he and the Swans could begin/announce a planned coaching succession. That plan would be implemented irrespective of how the Club fares in 2023. If this happens, Horse will stay on in another capacity.

* Like the Swans, Richmond is a very well run Club. Hardwick has countless credits in the bank and is unsackable. However like some others listed above, he will closely monitor whether he has still ‘got it’. The Tigers have had some cracking assistant coaches and Gale is a great CEO. I wonder whether Hardwick will, with Gale, instigate their own succession plan.

Back