Prediction Next Coach Sacked

Who is the next coach to be sacked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If the Suns knock off the Crows over in Adleaide then Pyke will become outright favourite! Carlton would be mad to dump Bolton at this time, if the Bulldogs give them a severe mauling then maybe the seed will be planted, i've tipped the Dogs by just 8 points, but i wouldn't be at all suprised if the Blues cleaned them up? Could be game of the round!

We won’t be sacking Bolts unless we start losing by 10-12 goals plus to sides like the Dogs and North.

Need to keep the spirits up when losing and not drop our bundle

North was the 3rd-oldest team of the round (pending finalisation of Geelong and Hawthorn 22's). Outside today's 22, they have eight players 24yo+ with a total of 600 games' experience who they can swap in when available. Beyond that there are 15 players 23yo and under with 41 games' experience between them. Suspect the latter group will be a last resort.

In some ways North are having the year most expected in 2018, but it's not through playing kids. Not sure how long Scott will be allowed to persevere with the current seniors before he's forced to announce a proper rebuild.

Brad Scott has taken Melbourne as far as he can i reckon. Can see a 'mutual' parting of the ways between he and North at the end of the season.

I can symptathise with the argument that he's done well with a crap team, but there's been way too many North players who looked good early doors but haven't kicked on (Ziebell, Bastinac, Black, Atley, Harper, Wood, McDonald, Clarke, Simpkin). Not a good look at all.

Brad Scott needs to go before we burn any further on our prospects and high draft picks. There is absolutely no way he should survive even before the year is out.

Pull a 2009 Dean Laidley and bow out while you still have some honour for the betterment of the club so we can move on and prepare for a new coaching panel, preferably something the supporters can get excited about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a Richmond supporter I can recognise the signs of a coach on death row. it is like a cloud of gloom that descends and remains. Unless a miracle occurs, Scott is done.

From the outside its now obvious he's on borrowed time after that presser. He looked like a dead man walking.

Similar signs to when Richmond nearly gave Dimma the boot. But I don't think Brad survives this.

Hard to see how a coach in his 10th year with a best H&A finish of 6th in that time and looking likely to finish bottom 4 for the 2nd time in 3 years does survive.

His one saving grace - the prelims - are now 4 and 5 seasons ago.

If this was the case then Carlton would have followed the trajectory of GC or GWS from start up. Gold Coast's first team had 11 first gamers in it, GWS had 17. Bolton's first team had one first gamer, Jacob Weitering the #1 pick. It also had Wright, Kerridge, Lamb and Phillips playing their first game for Carlton. 2017 Rd 1 three first gamers plus Marchbank and Smedts, 2018 Paddy Dow (#3 pick) plus Garlett, Kennedy and Mullett. This year Gibbons (mature age) and Walsh (another #1 pick) plus Fasolo, McGovern, Newman, Setterfield.

The profile of the Carlton team has barely changed in 3 and a bit years. Players have come and gone, but it's always been around an average age of 24-25 and a total games played of 1800 or so. I know we did awful things to them in that game but that's comparable to Melbourne's 2018 prelim side, Brisbane's current side, GWS' current side...

If Bolton wants the benefit of 'playing the kids, give us 2-3 years' (he's into year 4) then he should stop playing guys like Mullett and Smedts. If he doesn't want to play those guys and is being forced to then something is very wrong.

Not a big fan of Bolton currently but the thing is our 'profile' hasn't changed, yet from the 2015 round 23 team we've seen off Bell (dud), Boekhorst (dud), Buckley (dud), Carrazzo (old role player), Dick (dud), Ellard (dud), Everitt (dud), Holman (dud with us, honest player at the Suns), Jamison (old role player), Menzel (dud), Rowe (old role player), Smith (dud), Tuohy (good player), Tutt (dud), Walker (old role player), Watson (dud), Whiley (dud) and Wood (dud).

We retain Cripps, Kreuzer, E.Curnow and Simpson from that side.
Docherty, Jones, Murphy, Thomas weren't in the side that day.

Also cleared off Fields, Giles, White, Yarran, Jaksch, Johnson, Russell, Walsh, Warnock, Armfield and better players in Judd, Gibbs, Henderson.

42 players cleared off the list between 2015 and 2017. A few came and go under Bolton, yes, but the vast majority of players were previous system failures.

Adding Walsh, Weitering, McKay, Curnow, SPS, Fisher, Dow, O'Brien, Marchbank, Stocker, Kennedy, Setterfield, Plowman, Williamson, Pickett, Cuningham (lines through Lang, Silvagni, Polson and Garlett for me - while the last 2 in the non-bracket column are borderline) as the 'next crop' in 3 years was never going to result in immediate success in replacing a slightly older group of duds.

Guys like Smedts (9 career Carlton games), Mullet (13), Kerridge, Lamb were nothing but stopgaps while O'Brien, Kennedy, Cuningham, Wiliamson etc got VFL experience. Not sure that's a bad thing long term.

Bell (dud), Boekhorst (dud), Buckley (dud), Carrazzo (old role player), Dick (dud), Ellard (dud), Everitt (dud), Holman (dud with us, honest player at the Suns), Jamison (old role player), Menzel (dud), Rowe (old role player), Smith (dud), Tuohy (good player), Tutt (dud), Walker (old role player), Watson (dud), Whiley (dud) and Wood (dud).

B: Watson, Jamison, Simpson
HB: Everitt, Rowe, Tuohy
C: Whiley, E.Curnow, Ellard
HF: Boekhorst, Walker, Tutt
F: Buckley, Menzel, Bell
Foll: Kreuzer, Cripps, Carazzo
Bench: Dick, C.Smith, Holman, Wood

V

B: Plowman, Jones, Simpson
HB: D.Thomas, Weitering, Marchbank
C: Fisher, Dow, Walsh
HF: Gibbons, C.Curnow, E.Curnow
F: McGovern, McKay, SPS
Foll: Kreuzer, Cripps, Murphy
Bench: O'Brien, Silvagni, M.Kennedy, Polson

It's easy to see why we're still a spoon favourite, but 1) added key position players for the future 2) have players to help Cripps 3) have less obvious non-players-in-3-years (for me only Polson, Gibbons, Silvagni, D.Thomas, E.Curnow, Simpson fit that).

Last edited:
My best friends brother in law is an assistant coach at Carlton and he mentioned over the Christmas period that Bolton literally does not listen to his assistants. He runs his own race then grills them post loss about ‘why didn’t this or that happen’ but fails to acknowledge their advice during the game.

Maybe the assistants should try passing on the coaches message to the players first before undermining the head coach? Wonder if this best friend's brother in law was one of the assistants we turned overin the offseason.

I do hope by the end of 2020 we accept that if there isn't results by then, it's time to move on. Maybe Bolton is an assistant at AFL level.
But that criteria also goes for Silvagni.

Can't have Scott/Dodo types not getting results for a decade or longer, and remaining safe.

At some stage a rebuild becomes a failed rebuild and you clear em all out.

If the Suns knock off the Crows over in Adleaide then Pyke will become outright favourite! Carlton would be mad to dump Bolton at this time, if the Bulldogs give them a severe mauling then maybe the seed will be planted, i've tipped the Dogs by just 8 points, but i wouldn't be at all suprised if the Blues cleaned them up? Could be game of the round!
Blues will win it I reckon. Beveridge will be in the hot seat I’d say. If the Dogs drop a few more in the next 5-6 they’ll be struggling for finals. Have been seriously underwhelming apart from a good month of footy in 2016.

It should be Brad Scott but Norf don't have enough passionate supporters to put the necessary pressure on the board to do anything.

Unsure of what the number of supporters has to do with it.
Brad Scott is deeply unpopular with the membership and the road back is extremely narrow due to the time he’s had in the job and the little to nothing he’s achieved.
The board is already getting feedback. If people stop showing up it doesn’t matter how many folks you do or don’t have signed up - a small crowd is a small crowd and the constituency will protest this after that Good Friday debacle

Back