Prediction Next coach to be sacked. With Poll

Which coach will be the next to be sacked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I picked Simpson. List is in limbo and maybe some fixturing uncertainty could also lead to a bit of a drop.

Obviously Hinkley is always very vulnerable. Never safe.

Dew on his last chance. Must perform

Chris Scott is also the other one who might just decide to leave mid season like his brother did if things go pear shaped

Jakksynn

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Think Hinkley is safe for the most part unless things really go pear shaped and we are miles off the 8. Dew would be the obvious one, GC are and always have been shite and if that continues in the first half of the year I doubt he sees the bye. Simpson the smokey, all it takes is 1 or 2 really bad losses and the vultures will circle quickly.

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I picked Simpson. List is in limbo and maybe some fixturing uncertainty could also lead to a bit of a drop.

Obviously Hinkley is always very vulnerable. Never safe.

Dew on his last chance. Must perform

Chris Scott is also the other one who might just decide to leave mid season like his brother did if things go pear shaped
If Simmo does go, I reckon it'll be end of next year. They'll want to give him a couple of years with the new assistants to see what he can do and WCE aren't exactly a club known for sacking coaches.

Jarrad Schofield the likely successor in my opinion. Not shy of stating his goals for a senior position and very highly rated by WCE well before he went to Port.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
If a coach ‘resigns’ do we count that as a sacking ?
I’d say yes, the way it usually looks. Unless the resignation is prompted by a serious medical issue

I’d say yes, the way it usually looks. Unless the resignation is prompted by a serious medical issue
Let's call it a "Langer resignation" or "Langer" for short, i.e., a sacking masked as a resignation to ensure all parties save face, but "we" all know better!

Luck always has been a major factor in how a team goes and that is often seen as being the fault of the coach and someone has to come last. So I like to see these things as, if the team's performance is significantly lower than preseason expectations, who is most likely to get the chop. For me the top 4 who are at significant risk (and they all are) in order are:
Dew
Simpson
Ratten
Hinkley

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
How can I pick just one?

Dew or Cameron the two more likely to be sacked, or somehow replaced with Clarkson.

Hinkley or Simpson might be pushed.

The AFL would love Clarkson at the Gold Coast in 2023.
Round out that group to a top 5 with our coach included and you’d be 99-1 odds to get it right

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Round out that group to a top 5 with our coach included and you’d be 99-1 odds to get it right

I think unless Geelong fall off a cliff this year, Scott will stick out his contract, potentially with a handover period in his final year if they haven't won a GF in that time. I wouldn't expect any rash decisions out of the cattery given how well they've been run over the last 15 odd years.

Beer n Skittles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Rampage
Sounds like the Dees sacked a bunch of people rather than deal with Goodwin's issues which is fine while they're winning, but I'd expect him to get the boot as soon as things aren't as good on field.

I think unless Geelong fall off a cliff this year, Scott will stick out his contract, potentially with a handover period in his final year if they haven't won a GF in that time. I wouldn't expect any rash decisions out of the cattery given how well they've been run over the last 15 odd years.
I cannot remember a Cats coach ever being sacked mid-season and I can remember back to Peter Pianto days.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
If Simmo does go, I reckon it'll be end of next year. They'll want to give him a couple of years with the new assistants to see what he can do and WCE aren't exactly a club known for sacking coaches.

Jarrad Schofield the likely successor in my opinion. Not shy of stating his goals for a senior position and very highly rated by WCE well before he went to Port.
Fair call. You'd think WCE will have an orderly "transition" plan for Simmo rather than a knee jerk old fashioned sacking.

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Fair call. You'd think WCE will have an orderly "transition" plan for Simmo rather than a knee jerk old fashioned sacking.
Yeah, I couldn't see a sacking happening, especially for a premiership coach. They wanted to re-sign Worsfold ffs and he had to tell the club himself it was over.

Premiership coaches at WCE seem to be given a fair bit of rope.

Whose out of contract?
I know ratten is and dew, Scott also despite talks they will extend him

Leon Cameron also out of contract

Back