Prediction Next coach to be sacked. With Poll

Which coach will be the next to be sacked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chris Scott has re-entered the chat

Last edited:

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
The clock is ticking for Ben Rutten.

Has effectively been leading this group since 2020. Development is stagnating and the game plan is terrible.

Do the Bombers have the guts to make the right call?

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Has effectively been leading this group since 2020. Development is stagnating and the game plan is terrible.

Lol no way.

Rutten still has credits in the bank.

Not he took over a stale list built by Dodoro and Woosha.

Sacking him is pointless when they have to go on a 2 or 3 year rebuild anyway.

Re-evaluate him after that time, their list is halfway (not all the way) fried

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Lol no way.

Rutten still has credits in the bank.

Not he took over a stale list built by Dodoro and Woosha.

Sacking him is pointless when they have to go on a 2 or 3 year rebuild anyway.

Re-evaluate him after that time, their list is halfway (not all the way) fried

The guy can’t coach. The players look confused and disinterested.

It’ll be more of the same if they don’t cut their losses. It is never too early to admit you’ve made a mistake. Not that I’m complaining.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

It’ll be more of the same if they don’t cut their losses. It is never too early to admit you’ve made a mistake. Not that I’m complaining.

One crap year doesn't mean he can't coach.

He did a very good job last year I thought.

Should be given till the end of 2023 imo

AFL clubs need to be a lot quicker and more ruthless with their decision making regarding coaches IMO. So many only harm themselves by hanging on to blokes even when it's clear that it's not working (my own club being the biggest example of that in the league right now).

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Agree it's pretty annoying when you have a s**t coach having to sit out their contract with them.

AFL has the most over the top patience for developing players (I saw tom campbell is still on a list and played 15 games and is 28) and with coaches and their teams being absolute crap.

That being said Essendon needs to look at the board, ceo and dodoro, we still haven't been through a proper coaching appointment process since 2006.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Not saying he will be sacked but I agree that Adam Simpson looks cooked right now at the Eagles.
He looks likes he's 60yo. Proverbial frog on a frying pan.

Would probably be best for him and the club if he took some time off. Dude should just take a holiday. Eagles can start fresh. It's a win:win if they part company on good terms.

Maybe he can go North in 2024 after taking 12 months off to recharge his batteries.

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
1. Leon - OOC and same inconsistent GWS every year. If they somehow make finals they'll flame out like always.

2. Simpson - Cooked

3. Hinkley - They can't afford to pay him out.

4. Scott - The only club in a worse position than WC. Not good enough to win the flag, still playing ten 30 year olds. So screwed.

5. Dew - Probably get another year given they're young. Few top picks from 18-19 drafts are concerning which hurts.

AFL clubs need to be a lot quicker and more ruthless with their decision making regarding coaches IMO. So many only harm themselves by hanging on to blokes even when it's clear that it's not working (my own club being the biggest example of that in the league right now).
You sack too quickly and you could end up sacking a Damian Hardwick type just before they come into their own. It aint that simple.

1. Leon - OOC and same inconsistent GWS every year. If they somehow make finals they'll flame out like always.

2. Simpson - Cooked

3. Hinkley - They can't afford to pay him out.

4. Scott - The only club in a worse position than WC. Not good enough to win the flag, still playing ten 30 year olds. So screwed.

5. Dew - Probably get another year given they're young. Few top picks from 18-19 drafts are concerning which hurts.
Simpson contracted for 2 more years they won’t pay him out and move him on unless he asks to leave to go to another club to coach

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nationals, Pelicans
You sack too quickly and you could end up sacking a Damian Hardwick type just before they come into their own. It aint that simple.
People who watch american sports/european football assume that the same approach to coaches/managers used there will work in a sport where players move teams much less frequently, free agency/transfer system is far less prominent and the fact there's 18+ players on the field not 11, meaning squad depth is paramount.
I think Carlton sacking Ratten and Brisbane sacking Voss did as much as if not more long term damage to those clubs as say Freo hanging on to Lyon for too long. In Carlton's case, it forced them into rolling the dice with another coach and it backfired.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Simpson contracted for 2 more years they won’t pay him out and move him on unless he asks to leave to go to another club to coach
It's nuts.
He's done 9 years straight at the Eagles and immediately before that several years at the Hawks

Dude should take next year off by mutual agreement.

How greedy are these blokes?

He can't need the coin.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tiges should of sacked Hardwick when they continued to fail miserably in finals?
Goodwin should of been sacked for being in the btm 4?
Carlton were ruthless 4 coaches in 8 years that worked better?
I think it helped us keeping RTB longer to take the heat why we hit the draft.

The Cardtrader

The King of cardboard
Aug 17, 2018
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Surprised Rutten didnt have more than 18 votes.

Hinkley will string some wins together, Leon and Stewie, well no-one cares enough, Simpson probably next in line after Truck.

But the entitlement factor at Essendon shouldnt be under estimated

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's nuts.
He's done 9 years straight at the Eagles and immediately before that several years at the Hawks

Dude should take next year off by mutual agreement.

How greedy are these blokes?

He can't need the coin.
How much time of do they really need? They work 23-27 full on weeks during the season but that leaves 25-29 that shouldn't be nearly as busy.

Senior coaches who miss finals should really only work for about 2 weeks from September to November with a bit of trade week and pre draft stuff, and then should be made to take it easy from Dec to Feb. That's half a year where they're making incredible wages to plan a few training sessions and read leadership books.

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
How much time of do they really need? They work 23-27 full on weeks during the season but that leaves 25-29 that shouldn't be nearly as busy.

Senior coaches who miss finals should really only work for about 2 weeks from September to November with a bit of trade week and pre draft stuff, and then should be made to take it easy from Dec to Feb. That's half a year where they're making incredible wages to plan a few training sessions and read leadership books.
They're basically teachers.
Maybe they should unionize.
If it's good enough for Bioware...

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

Fair point

Media make out like they work 12 hour days 365 days a year but that is probably propaganda.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I disagree, you can't make that call when he's having his first bad year. Simon Goodwin had a bad year too and I wrote him off at the time, and I looked stupid afterwards.

Back