Next Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Meh we have been s**t for now the third year running. The status quo upstairs can't keep going like it is regardless of how things are polished.

For the love of all things football can we stop comparing ourselves to West Coast? They are not in a rebuild, nor transitioning their list. Every week they play one of the oldest and most experienced teams whereas we play one of the youngest and least experienced. Every week this season they have played more 150+ gamers than any other side in the AFL - they are an incredibly experienced side that is succeeding because of great discipline from all their players including their fringe role players.

Yes they have debuted a number of players this year but their (3) first year players have only played 6 games total. Our (6) first year players that have debuted have played a total of 42 games between them. We are playing 13+ players with <50 games experience (often with half of those with less than 15 games experience), they are generally playing 5 or 6.

We are not in any way at the same stage with our lists. We are building to be contending in a couple of years time - not now. They are in contention now. Will they be next year? Might depend on McGovern & Gaff... If they both stay, will they still be in contention for a while? Might depend a bit on Kennedy, Hurn, Le Cras etc who all looked on the downward spiral but have turned back the clock this season.

Don't get me wrong, have a melt because they are doing so well and it's annoying. But their success or otherwise has nothing to do with where Freo are at or where we are heading. So it doesn't belong in a thread about our "next coach" unless you want to talk about what their supporters thought about Simpson just last year.

Completely disagree. Culled Priddis, Mitchell, Wellingham, Petrie. Debuted 6 or 7 players. Lucky to have made the finals last year. Everything was suggesting that they would fall further in 2018. Getting Mitchell and Petrie in 2017 was their last roll of the dice. It failed. Back to the drawing board.

They've been magnificent in a transition year. Call it what you want. A restump or rewire, but hats off to them. 10-1.

Preseason, people ran their eyes over the lists of Freo and West Coast and the vast majority of people felt Fremantle would finish ahead of West Coast.

Stunning performances by West Coast and North Melbourne (another team going winning games of football while going through a big transition).

I couldn't care less about West Coast. Just another team to me. But credit where credit's due. They've been outstanding.

My feeling is that expectations placed on West Coast are higher from inside the club and from supporters. We go along with the narrative of a 5 year rebuild no questions asked.

Completely disagree. Culled Priddis, Mitchell, Wellingham, Petrie. Debuted 6 or 7 players. Lucky to have made the finals last year. Everything was suggesting that they would fall further in 2018. Getting Mitchell and Petrie in 2017 was their last roll of the dice. It failed. Back to the drawing board.

They've been magnificent in a transition year. Call it what you want. A restump or rewire, but hats off to them. 10-1.

Preseason, people ran their eyes over the lists of Freo and West Coast and the vast majority of people felt Fremantle would finish ahead of West Coast.

Stunning performances by West Coast and North Melbourne (another team going winning games of football while going through a big transition).

I couldn't care less about West Coast. Just another team to me. But credit where credit's due. They've been outstanding.

My feeling is that expectations placed on West Coast are higher from inside the club and from supporters. We go along with the narrative of a 5 year rebuild no questions asked.
Hmm let me guess. Plugga , deflecto or st ciatriz?

The side was cooked because no attempt was made to plan for the future or manage a list during a season. Richmond played 8 players with under 50 games on the weekend. North played 7 players. West Coast have debuted 6 or 7 players and are 10-1. It is possible to introduce young players into your side and be competitive.

Then in 2016 when Lyon had a golden opportunity to shed veteran fringe players since it was a lost season from early on, he chose to play veteran fringe players rather than simply rip the bandaid off. Mayne played 22 games in 2016, Dawson played 18, Pearce 22 games. Could have pumped some of those games into young players rather than veterans barely (if acutally) in our best 22.

Can't argue with the facts and logic Freo112. It's like some that post here are on the Freo's media payroll and want to shut down or gang up on and harass anyone members that aren't drinking the RTB kool aide.

Look, Fremantle under Lyon struggled in attack even back in 2012 when Pavlich was a 30 year old. They were 12th in attack that year. Team had been 4th in 2010 under Harvey.

Even 2013 when they made the Grand Final with Pav still only 31 and Mayne in the form of his life Fremantle were 11th in attack.

It's been a hallmark of Lyon teams that they are low scoring.

Lyon had Riewoldt at his peak and Pavlich in his prime yet his teams struggled to score.
Walters kicked 46 goals in 2013, Ballantyne 34 goals. Pavlich still in his prime. Mayne in the form of his life. Yet the team was 11th in the league for attack.

In 2013, the team was 15th in the league for inside 50's. 11th for scoring. That's game plan. You can't be a strong scoring team if the ball isn't going into the forward line.

2009 was an outlier for Lyon. One good year with a great forward line is the exception not the rule. Riewoldt was best or close to best player in the league 2009, Milne at his peak (one of the best small forwards ever), Koschitzke was primarily forward. Still didn't kick more than 80 points in three finals.

In the interests of assisting people pointing the finger of blame, I've compiled a list of names for you to be angry at -

Rosich & Harris - presided over the club since 2008/2009 and oversaw Harvey as coach, brought in Lyon, then signed him up on a long contract, and moved the club away from Fremantle

Alcock - who has been on the board since 2011 and had a hand in our off-field shenanigans. Lyon's harassment coverup has been on his watch, and a distraction to the club. Worst win-loss ratio of any presiding president

Bondy - bucks stops with him with the football department. failed recruiting and player management strategy leading us into this hole. failed coaching acquisitions. not enough investment in opposition analysis

Lloyd & recruiters - failed over the last 8 years to recruit or draft a full forward. Drafted skinny HBFs. Drafted or traded for players that were duds (Anthony, Sylvia) or have had injury, mental health or general health issues (Pitt, Simpson, Bennell), or were softcocks (Balic, Weller). traded out De Boer, Barlow, and players who still had a role. Signed up D Pearce. our fall from grace starts here with our list management and recruiting strategy

Weber & sports science - missed the mark having our guys underdone one preseason, overdone the next, prone to soft tissue injuries, and in some cases can't get them on the park at all. approve injured players to be played, aggravating injuries like Fyfe's shoulder, Blakely's shoulder

Selection committee - consistently chose bit players instead of blooding kids. consistently reward players out of touch. don't reward performance at lower levels. don't play the kids enough. Danyle f#cking Pearce and Subes

Assistant Coaches - poor skills development of our players. don't stand up to Lyon enough to insist on not having a defensive game plan. are s**t at their jobs

Cowan - can't coach out of a brown paper bag. should have been our maiden premiership

Lyon - played Barlow out of position. has a defensive game plan that doesn't change. can't develop kids. makes excuses. kills attacking flair in players

Horrocks - the Lyon harassment saga, and the MJ kebab incident happened on her watch. poor people management

Fyfe - s**t captain. can't kick. tries to do everything himself. should be traded

Neale - pea-hearted. obviously has one foot out the door. should be traded

Pavlich - kept having girls. didn't blood the next captain early enough. failed leadership handover

Johnny & Jenny Docker - worst mascots ever. scares young kids, and reduces our member-base

Ken Walther - worst song ever. insipid songwriting abilities. you almost don't want us to win

Freo Supporters - don't make a noise during games. stick by the club and refuse to microwave their memberships and revolt over the failed Lyon experiment

BF posters - ignorant whining troglodytes. impatient. armchair coaches

Last edited:
Can't argue with the facts and logic Freo112. It's like some that post here are on the Freo's media payroll and want to shut down or gang up on and harass anyone members that aren't drinking the RTB kool aide.
By all means have your say but don’t post shite like Logue is a waste of a pick when he has only played a handful of games and speaking of payroll if you love the eagles that much * off over there and enjoy sycophant central we all know things aren’t going well but don’t need to be reminded on EVERY SINGLE POST

By all means have your say but don’t post shite like Logue is a waste of a pick when he has only played a handful of games and speaking of payroll if you love the eagles that much **** off over there and enjoy sycophant central we all know things aren’t going well but don’t need to be reminded on EVERY SINGLE POST
I have never said anything about Logue. I don't know any present or previous posters like Plugga , deflecto or st ciatriz. I have quoted Freo112 as I think it's time to face facts. Maybe the club already are if Jedi's rumour is to be believed.
I'm a Freo Foundation member and never even thought about being a WC member. Haven't spoken up for 24 years and I, and others it seems, think it's time.

I have never said anything about Logue. I don't know any present or previous posters like Plugga , deflecto or st ciatriz. I have quoted Freo112 as I think it's time to face facts. Maybe the club already are if Jedi's rumour is to be believed.
I'm a Freo Foundation member and never even thought about being a WC member. Haven't spoken up for 24 years and I, and others it seems, think it's time.
Aren’t Freo112 and you 1 person though?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the interests of assisting people pointing the finger of blame, I've compiled a list of names for you to be angry at -

Rosich & Harris - presided over the club since 2008/2009 and oversaw Harvey as coach, brought in Lyon, then signed him up on a long contract, and moved the club away from Fremantle

Alcock - who has been on the board since 2011 and had a hand in our off-field shenanigans. Lyon's harassment coverup has been on his watch, and a distraction to the club. Worst win-loss ratio of any presiding president

Bondy - bucks stops with him with the football department. failed recruiting and player management strategy leading us into this hole. failed coaching acquisitions. not enough investment in opposition analysis

Lloyd & recruiters - failed over the last 8 years to recruit or draft a full forward. Drafted skinny HBFs. Drafted or traded for players that were duds (Anthony, Sylvia) or have had injury, mental health or general health issues (Pitt, Simpson, Bennell), or were softcocks (Balic, Weller). traded out De Boer, Barlow, and players who still had a role. Signed up D Pearce. our fall from grace starts here with our list management and recruiting strategy

Weber & sports science - missed the mark having our guys underdone one preseason, overdone the next, prone to soft tissue injuries, and in some cases can't get them on the park at all. approve injured players to be played, aggravating injuries like Fyfe's shoulder, Blakely's shoulder

Selection committee - consistently chose bit players instead of blooding kids. consistently reward players out of touch. don't reward performance at lower levels. don't play the kids enough. Danyle f#cking Pearce and Subes

Assistant Coaches - poor skills development of our players. don't stand up to Lyon enough to insist on not having a defensive game plan. are s**t at their jobs

Cowan - can't coach out of a brown paper bag. should have been our maiden premiership

Lyon - played Barlow out of position. has a defensive game plan that doesn't change. can't develop kids. makes excuses. kills attacking flair in players

Horrocks - the Lyon harassment saga, and the MJ kebab incident happened on her watch. poor people management

Fyfe - s**t captain. can't kick. tries to do everything himself. should be traded

Pavlich - kept having girls. didn't blood the next captain early enough. failed leadership handover

Johnny & Jenny Docker - worst mascots ever. scares young kids, and reduces our member-base

Ken Walther - worst song ever. insipid songwriting abilities. you almost don't want us to win

Freo Supporters - don't make a noise during games. stick by the club and refuse to microwave their memberships and revolt over the failed Lyon experiment

Think you’re onto something with your last point.. insightful

Freo Supporters - don't make a noise during games..........

Seriously, I am a pationate mofo and made to feel like absolute shite when you show some passion at the game.

When you make a bit of noise, fellow Freo supporters look at you like you have shat the bed.

Almost all of them have a stronger connection with reality than blaming the umpires, or some AFL conspiracy

Freo Supporters - don't make a noise during games..........

Seriously, I am a pationate mofo and made to feel like absolute shite when you show some passion at the game.

When you make a bit of noise, fellow Freo supporters look at you like you have shat the bed.

I know right. Completely pisses me off. If we yelled louder and booed more we could even impact the umpires and help our team

No rumour bro

But you'd think mid wat through the season plenty of water to go under the bridge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back