Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
any word on why they couldn't work together? Was it personalities, or work related like incompatible game-pan and tactics?

Sumich and Lyon grew apart across their time together at Fremantle. The two were philosophically opposed. Lyon was relentless and could be intense, while the two-time West Coast premiership player was more laid back and calculated. What began as a partnership ended in acrimony. The two have a non-existent relationship these days.

The key stumbling block Sumich will need to overcome relates to his difficult time at Fremantle under Lyon. It’s understood there were a small section of board members who sided with Lyon in 2016 and those board members will need to be convinced if Sumich is to win the top job this time around.

At 51, close observers believe he would be more adept at handling Perth’s footy fishbowl landscape than a less-experienced candidate such as Justin Longmuir.

Although Longmuir appears certain to be in the mix for the role, the former Freo goalkicker is seen as a bigger risk due to his age.

Harbour Masters overwhelming preference is for JLo - which is a good choice given his CV is just as impressive as Sumich.
Please prey tell how you could possibly speak for the Harbour Masters?

And more importantly what makes you believe they have any sway or input into a decision such as this?

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Send in your cv, see how you go

I'm intending on sending mine in for the CEO gig, just for the sh*ts and gigs of it - why the heck not, at worst it ends up in the bin! Sufficient corporate experience ✔; sufficient (or any) sports administration experience ❌❌❌...

My perfect candidate for a modern coach considering I have absolutely NFI on how it actually works but just listening to how other more knowledgeable people talk about the job nowadays

20 % tactical nouse

20 % leadership experience

30 % interpersonal skills

10% charisma

10% media savvy

20% zen

I know that's more than 100 but it's not really a job for normal human beings is it

I wanted to frame it in this thought exercise we did at work 1 time where you had to answer all these questions and then they said what type of bird you are

Anyone else done that 1 , pretty sure I was an Owl 🦉 with some eagleish 🦅 tendencies

s**t maybe the Rossy Posse sensed something all the times I got told to go support the Eagles on the RTB thread

you just described Kirk....only one with the Zen as well

you just described Kirk....only one with the Zen as well

Certainly wouldn't be averse to Kirk - he left the club with plenty of admirers (although one of his more ardent ones is now at Brisbane). I'd have thought we'll at least sound him out, but suspect it's highly unlikely to eventuate.

I am not biased to anyone of the potential candidates- regardless of their current or previous coaching capabilities or experience.
For one I can’t believe the dribble on here about Sumich and his apparent failings and conspiracy theories of him dogging out the club.
If he is a shortlist candidate - if, then I reckon the innuendo regarding him undermining the club is all horses**t- because if any truth to any of it he wouldn’t be in the reckoning- regardless of capability.
Deal in fact, he has experience and it is well rounded, admittedly not having landed a head coaching job at AFL level.
Just don’t get the slander and cherry picking of a bloke that no one here knows f all about besides hear say.

I didn’t like Lyons demeanour- thought he was a condescending dick, who treated people like crap - looking from the outside. But he was a great coach for a good period of time.

Ryan Crowley or Josh Carr - niggle coach - to get the mongrel back

Really like this post....bit of mongrel about it and calling it as it is with some bIffo

I really don't know if any are okay or not including Summa. Geeks % breakdown is probably not a bad guideline but requires facts and getting info relevant, not so easy,.....but not exaggerations of the breakdowns, nor personal attacks about their character.

The two that seem to be most highly recommended for senior coaching over east given they interviewed so well and were near misses at a few attempts are Burns and Barker. They have both been spoken highly of for several years. Wonder if they are applying?

Sumich and Lyon grew apart across their time together at Fremantle. The two were philosophically opposed. Lyon was relentless and could be intense, while the two-time West Coast premiership player was more laid back and calculated. What began as a partnership ended in acrimony. The two have a non-existent relationship these days.

The key stumbling block Sumich will need to overcome relates to his difficult time at Fremantle under Lyon. It’s understood there were a small section of board members who sided with Lyon in 2016 and those board members will need to be convinced if Sumich is to win the top job this time around.

At 51, close observers believe he would be more adept at handling Perth’s footy fishbowl landscape than a less-experienced candidate such as Justin Longmuir.

Although Longmuir appears certain to be in the mix for the role, the former Freo goalkicker is seen as a bigger risk due to his age.

are you a journalist Apuchar? great little summary:thumbsu:

Who's it going to be?

I have this sinking feeling it's going to be Suma.

I started another thread with a poll. If Unique Name or mods can edit this thread and add a similar poll, I'll delete my thread.
That is, I just want a poll, don't want to hijack this thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it looks like the next coach is going to get roasted by the WA media, unless it is their mate Sumich.

Ross was right about one thing, there being lots of noise.

*vomit*

There's every possibility that the favourite choices here might just say "thanks but no thanks" and we end up with a Sumich or Voss simply because they are the best available that put their hand up.

There's every possibility that the favourite choices here might just say "thanks but no thanks" and we end up with a Sumich or Voss simply because they are the best available that put their hand up.

They might just have to fold the club when all the players walk out and all the members quit. Just Suma sitting out there all alone in the coaches box yelling at a bunch of seagulls.

I am not biased to anyone of the potential candidates- regardless of their current or previous coaching capabilities or experience.
For one I can’t believe the dribble on here about Sumich and his apparent failings and conspiracy theories of him dogging out the club.
If he is a shortlist candidate - if, then I reckon the innuendo regarding him undermining the club is all horses**t- because if any truth to any of it he wouldn’t be in the reckoning- regardless of capability.
Deal in fact, he has experience and it is well rounded, admittedly not having landed a head coaching job at AFL level.
Just don’t get the slander and cherry picking of a bloke that no one here knows f all about besides hear say.

I didn’t like Lyons demeanour- thought he was a condescending dick, who treated people like crap - looking from the outside. But he was a great coach for a good period of time.

FWIW I would like Longmuir, he has had experience at 3 clubs during successful periods. He would be able to bring a new enthusiasm to our club, give him experience with some really good assistants.
Sandi - ruck coach
Roger Hayden - assistant
Darren Harris or Todd Curley locally as assistants and to drill the same gameplan at Peel - although I can’t stand Peel.
Sumich - development and senior assistant.
Ryan Crowley or Josh Carr - niggle coach - to get the mongrel back
i like the idea of a niggle coach... could also consider ballas for the role

I don't have an issue with Voss. Bris sacked him while he had then competitive with an ok list. The wheels fell off with Leppich shortly after.

I know Simon Black was very close to Leppich and think he was happy with the decision.

Voss is more experienced now and IMO would prefer him to Sumich.

It's quite likely we're sounding out potential assistants too. Voss could be in that category.

But yeah, I tend to agree - if it is for the top job, reckon we could do worse than him, Summa being a case in point.

Dumb question, but there seems to be a lot of noise an circle work about Summa, but has he or his manager actually said anything concrete to the effect that he's at all interested? I know its early days so maybe it's impossible, but maybe we're all just jumping at shadows here.

Dumb question, but there seems to be a lot of noise an circle work about Summa, but has he or his manager actually said anything concrete to the effect that he's at all interested? I know its early days so maybe it's impossible, but maybe we're all just jumping at shadows here.

"His manager Paul Peos of Inside 50 Management told The Age that Sumich should be a healthy chance to take over at the Dockers.

“We fully expect Peter will be in strong consideration for the position of replacement for Ross,” Peos, Sumich’s former West Coast teammate, said on Tuesday in the wake of Lyon’s sacking after eight seasons at the Dockers."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back