Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it's risky. They will be under pressure to get it right.
Dale Alcock spoke really well on ABC about 50mins ago. If there is a podcast worth a listen. I wasn’t as impressed with some of his other interviews or pressers but he was very good this morning. Very compelling and strong in his messaging. Really made it clear that both Senior Coach and CEO will only be chosen after exhaustive process.

They have put out tender for HR/recruitment co. to oversee the application process and they hope to formalise the external panel member in the next week or so. Phone calls being made as we speak on that matter and feeling out a few potential coaching applicants to assemble their initial list.

Peter Mann the key panel member of the coaching selection panel and Sue Murphy the key member of the CEO panel.

Mick Malthouse asked a few questions around rookie vs experienced coaches. Again no preference but all agreed need the rights supports around, particularly a rookie coach.

Exit meetings managed by Peter Bell with another key person.

When asked about Peter Bell being anointed as the CEO, Alcock shied away from that and indicated some internal applicants would be welcome to apply but Peter Bell has only been in the role of Footy GM for a short while and we want to appoint the very best CEO. I hope Nick Marvin and Mark Brayshaw are on this hit list.

Alcock did say Peter Bell is doing a good job in his footy GM role (strong culture push etc) but openly learning a lot in the role.

A good interview.

Last edited:
The two articles couldn’t have been further apart.
Duffield one more for Fremantle, and Butler one for Eagles fans, I reckon.

Duffield rightly applauds the role of Dunstall in ignoring noise and selecting the best young candidate for Hawthorn. I wonder if that can actually happen in the Perth fishbowl.
Pretty fair. He also think Longmuir is the best choice, but a fair piece
I’ve softened to Sumich but the momentum building comment and the basis to that entire article from Butler relates to the media (incl. himself) and Sumich’s followers. Butler needs to take off those stupid hats he wears and smell the roses. Dumb article. Have a read of Duffield’s article much more balanced and well-informed even though it is with the West Coast Australian Newspaper as well.

Next we’ll see a special on Channel 7 news on Mon night from Basil and Barich interviewing Sumich and talking about how wonderful he would be as the next Freo Coach...”I don’t know what you think Bas but he gets a big tick from me... Adrian Barich Seven nightly news”.
The Butler article a great example of Sumich's press fanbois promoting him to the point of it being vomitous. Same happened when Scott Watters got the St Kilda head coach. Sumich has been out of an AFL club or affiliate for three years. The State Development U18 squad may be a stepping stone for an assistant somewhere and read Taylor 's posts refuting so called good coaching with them anyhow.

I head him speak with his fanbois on 6 PR a few weeks ago and when he was asked how he got the U18's mouded into a winning team he says "Well I just told them to believe in themselves" Seriously? And then asked some direct coaching question couldn't even answer and rattled off something else in reply.

Just No, No, No, No, to Sumich! If he wants to be a head coach he needs to get an assistants spot (if he was any good he would have one at WC if he couldn't work at Freo with Ross), get some coaching level qualifications and then put himself forward.

I took the biggest point from Duffield's article being it's possible to appoint a successful coach even if they are young and untried at senior level with a vigorous selection process run by people who know what it takes for a coach to be successful.

Did we have that when selecting Drum? I can't think of any recent coaches we've had that were selected like that and hope this time we do stick with the process.

The Butler article a great example of Sumich's press fanbois promoting him to the point of it being vomitous. Same happened when Scott Watters got the St Kilda head coach. Sumich has been out of an AFL club or affiliate for three years. The State Development U18 squad may be a stepping stone for an assistant somewhere and read Taylor 's posts refuting so called good coaching with them anyhow.

I head him speak with his fanbois on 6 PR a few weeks ago and when he was asked how he got the U18's mouded into a winning team he says "Well I just told them to believe in themselves" Seriously? And then asked some direct coaching question couldn't even answer and rattled off something else in reply.

Just No, No, No, No, to Sumich! If he wants to be a head coach he needs to get an assistants spot (if he was any good he would have one at WC if he couldn't work at Freo with Ross), get some coaching level qualifications and then put himself forward.

I took the biggest point from Duffield's article being it's possible to appoint a successful coach even if they are young and untried at senior level with a vigorous selection process run by people who know what it takes for a coach to be successful.

Did we have that when selecting Drum? I can't think of any recent coaches we've had that were selected like that and hope this time we do stick with the process.
Good call - my memory of Drum appt was closer to amateur hour. Would hope much improved this time around.

Whilst I’ve softened on Sumich - I remain not keen and much more interested a number of other applicants. It is quite likely Sumich will be ruled out on the basis of his Presentation. His presentation with Essendon was ordinary from all reports. I heard Langdon the other night banging on about how good he would be and how he deserves a go. Haselby made the point about him having to impress in the presentation. Langdon cut him off and said its not all about the presentation...he will make a very good coach mark my word. It’s like the US presidency election. Popularity contest pushed by the Sumich fanboy club.

I listened to the old fart all morning driving around, he is borderline incoherent and does no research. Claimed that Fremantle's culture problems were because we let Pav dominate too much as a result of him being clean cut and a good frontman. Couldn't remember the name of the club the bulldogs became, even though he coached the bloody club! Rabbited on about how no ex players of a team recently ever coached them to a flag : hello, Worsfold?
I honestly think he could be in the early throes of dementia.

I listened to the old fart all morning driving around, he is borderline incoherent and does no research. Claimed that Fremantle's culture problems were because we let Pav dominate too much as a result of him being clean cut and a good frontman. Couldn't remember the name of the club the bulldogs became, even though he coached the bloody club! Rabbited on about how no ex players of a team recently ever coached them to a flag : hello, Worsfold?
I honestly think he could be in the early throes of dementia.
I enjoyed when last night he was complaining about the pre-final bye and putting the blame for it on us.

Dale Alcock spoke really well on ABC about 50mins ago. If there is a podcast worth a listen. I wasn’t as impressed with some of his other interviews or pressers but he was very good this morning. Very compelling and strong in his messaging. Really made it clear that both Senior Coach and CEO will only be chosen after exhaustive process.

They have put out tender for HR/recruitment co. to oversee the application process and they hope to formalise the external panel member in the next week or so. Phone calls being made as we speak on that matter and feeling out a few potential coaching applicants to assemble their initial list.

Peter Mann the key panel member of the coaching selection panel and Sue (whatever her surname is) the key member of the CEO panel.

Mick Malthouse asked a few questions around rookie vs experienced coaches. Again no preference but all agreed need the rights supports around, particularly a rookie coach.

When asked about Peter Bell being anointed as the CEO, Alcock shied away from that and indicated some internal applicants would be welcome to apply but Peter Bell has only been in the role of Footy GM and we want to appoint the very best CEO. I hope Nick Marvin and Mark Brayshaw are on this hit list.

Alcock did say Peter Bell is doing a good job in his footy GM role (strong culture push etc) but openly learning a lot in the role.

A good interview.

If anyone finds a link please post it.

I for one am very impressed with Dale. Clearly wants us to improve and in a hurry.

Peter Mann the key panel member of the coaching selection panel and Sue (whatever her surname is) the key member of the CEO panel.

When asked about Peter Bell being anointed as the CEO, Alcock shied away from that and indicated some internal applicants would be welcome to apply but Peter Bell has only been in the role of Footy GM and we want to appoint the very best CEO. I hope Nick Marvin and Mark Brayshaw are on this hit list.

A good interview.
Sue Murphy I believe.
Thanks for the summary, very interesting

No news. The interview/selection panel hasn’t even yet been finalised. They have to appoint an external panel member yet.

Everyone needs to chill. Take time sound out and whittle back the best 4-6 candidates for interviewing. Article this morning about Justin Longmuir indicating that he is interested but there has been no approach.

Great article in the West from Duffield this morning. Need to turn off the noise and hyperbole whilst also destroying any preconceived favouritism. The Hawks back in 2004 had all sorts of Hawthorn favourites being pushed by media and Hawks board members inc. Eade, Wallace, Ayres and even some scuttlebutt about Leigh Mathews. It was Dunstall on the selection panel who pushed away from that and the board was most impressed with Clarkson and particularly his presentation on where Clarkson felt the game was headed.

I hope they sound out Longmuir and hope they even sound out Sumich, who I have been particularly harsh on.

What they need to do is turn off all the bloody noise from Sumich’s Eagle mates and media wally’s like Hardie and Hagdorn.

If Sumich or even BScott (who I also don’t like) is selected after an extensive and detailed selection process (identified as the best and standout candidate) then I will support. If I hear that the process wasn’t exhaustive and the board for eg already their mind made up or they caved to public/media pressure then I’m done with the club and I won’t be around these boards anymore.

Longmuir to me presents as an excellent candidate not because he played for the club but because when he arrived at Collingwood he challenged and questioned the coaching on how their strategies and defensive structures needed to be changed. I’ve also read and heard (and even chatted with when he was in Perth) Brett Kirk and he will make a very impressive coach and people manager.

Jarrod Schofield, Mathew Nicks, Ben Rutten, Blake Caracella are also very good options that need to be sounded out.

Let’s get this right.

Yes agree with your summation. Just to add this morning Malthouse mentioned ABC Longmuir was impressive and heads above the others in the group who attended his lecture/session he gave as part of Level IV coaching program. Malthouse also sounded out Alcock re a Mentor for the senior coach if he is a first time senior coach. LOL think Mick might like a guernsey - and funny enough all the points he was making as to why were very good I thought.

Dale's post above has got it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes agree with your summation. Just to add this morning Malthouse mentioned ABC Longmuir was impressive and heads above the others in the group who attended his lecture/session he gave as part of Level IV coaching program. Malthouse also sounded out Alcock re a Mentor for the senior coach if he is a first time senior coach. LOL think Mick might like a guernsey - and funny enough all the points he was making as to why were very good I thought.

Dale's post above has got it all.

Its a good idea to have some experienced to help smooth in the transition for a young coach. Malthouse has too big an ego for such a rule though, could try and dominate and undermine the young coach.

Here is the whole program, so it started around 10:05, they spoke with Dale from about 10:45ish to the top of the hour.

Did not like his comment about listening to media noise as being part of the reason to sack Ross. He did say that it wasn't the only reason, but member and media noise shouldn’t have ANY influence on a decision such as this.
Bit disappointed really.

Last edited:
Did not like his comment about listening to media noise as being part of the reason to sack Ross. He did say that it wasn't the only reason, but member and media noise shouldn’t have ANY influence on a decision such as this.
Bit disappointed really.

If member and media noise is leading to reduced member numbers, reduced attendances and less sponsorship income then they’d be negligent not to address it. Of course it has an influence.

Justin Longmuir has been coaching for about ten years. Born the same year as Pav, just, but played far fewer years because of that damn knee.
Taylor, a couple of well respected posters on our board attended our half year review where JL was the main presenter. Both were very impressed by him and although would be a loss to us, might be a good choice.
#508 and #509

Last edited:
1 minute in and I already don't agree with Duff about 'if we have only won 7 games by this time next year, then they will have to question whether they got this right." Part of the change in coach is related to the way we play. For a team, where the majority of the players have only played one way for all of their time at the club, there will likely be an adjustment period. Strange comment to me. The change has a longer focus than that I would have thought. Losing two senior wingmen after losing Neale last year could make things difficult for a while unless we find adequate senior replacements.

If member and media noise is leading to reduced member numbers, reduced attendances and less sponsorship income then they’d be negligent not to address it. Of course it has an influence.
He also followed that up by saying that there had been overwhelming support of the decision from their big sponsors. The attendances in recent times (aside from the Sandi farewell) have been very concerning. I was at the Sydney game in BankWest area and our family had an entire row to ourselves and could have had three or four entire rows to ourselves.

Also the club having all sorts of difficulty getting the box seats filled. One key sponsor rang one of the radio stations recently and had decided to go to a WAFL game instead of his usual VIP seating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back