Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Hird has any coaching experience outside of his time as head coach at Essendon. Retired in 08, did two years in the media before replacing Knights at the end of the 2010 season. I doubt he's done the level 4 training, but don't know.

Almost certain he has not done the Level 4 course - there is a list floating around. Not required of course and even less so for assistants which is all he'd be in the mix for I reckon.

And yes, he doesn't have a lot of very recent experience, and his last year in 2015 as HC was miserable. But the guy has pedigree, was a great footballer and gets the game. As an assistant, might be worth a shot. You'd think he has matured since the PES saga might relish a second chance and could bring some quality footy intellect to the club.

Surely we would be in breach of the coaching salary cap if we signed more than one high profile coach

Surely we would be in breach of the coaching salary cap if we signed more than one high profile coach

Its not a breach, it just means we have to pay a luxury tax at $1:$1 for every $1 we go over that ceiling.

When Lyon said let the cobblers do the cobbling I'm not sure he meant we needed a shoe salesman to run the club 😄.
Do your research. Hird is a very accomplished businessman in his own right. He is very involved in sports businesses around the world.

I wouldn't mind having Hird as Coach/CEO/Senior Asst. We would get great insight into playing in Victoria, we'd get lots of media coverage (any press is good press). I have no doubt that Hird has good contacts and relationships within the national footy community as well.

I wonder how the WAFC would feel if we spent the million dollars they take as a royalty on coach tax.

So keep that in mind, Fremantle is owned by something.
The better we get the more WAFC get, short term pain for long term gain.

The better we get the more WAFC get, short term pain for long term gain.
That works when you're talking about families running businesses, or long visioned dynastic national dictators, but in business with many stakeholders I wouldn't expect many plans get a green light that don't return within eighteen months.

For what it's worth, I don't think the WAFC would cop a $0 royalty from FFC - they'd require $1,000,000 from us and suggest that some of the $26,000,000 in football expenses are cut for the following year to carry a loss until then.

We are lucky West Coast coughs up so much money to fund the WAFC or they would bleed us too.

Do your research. Hird is a very accomplished businessman in his own right. He is very involved in sports businesses around the world.

There may have been an attempt at humour there, with one of those accomplished businesses being investor and promoter for an Aussie boot company.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a rule that stops you signing JLo now or is it just frowned upon?

Nothing against it. Sanderson was hired during a premiership tilt & there’s pics of him celebrating with the team front row in the stands. They have him the choice to stay for the game or go I’m pretty sure, he decided to go.

Just because a person gets knocked back for coaching jobs in the past doesn't mean they haven't become a better coach over time. Part of the reason that fagan is so good is because hes been in the industry so long.

I am genuinely curious when i ask this, whats your opinion on Steve Smtih?

Personally I think the sandpaper thing was completely bonkers considering the s**t every other country has gotten away with over the year (England and using mints is pretty much the exact same thing).

You seem to be a lot stricter on "cheats", again, probably a bad reflection on me, so I'm interested to know your Smith opinion
Don't really care about cricket that much, particularly the Australian team (or Australian representitive sides in general). In saying that to me there is a huge difference between the implementation of a "supplements" program versus using sandpaper. There was also a huge difference in how the scenarios were managed.

I wouldnt want Hird at the club because just about the only thing that would turn me away from the football club is a doping scandal or something like that. It's also why beyond Colyer being not that good, I'm not a fan of his acquisition.

James Hird spotted at Perth Airport as Fremantle continue search for new coach
The West Australian
Wednesday, 11 September 2019 5:43PM
Former Essendon coach James Hird arrived at Perth Airport today, carrying minimal luggage and a suit.
Former Essendon coach James Hird arrived at Perth Airport today, carrying minimal luggage and a suit.Picture: The West Australian

Just a week after his beloved Bombers were knocked out of the finals by West Coast, former Essendon coach James Hird was spotted arriving in Perth today.

Hird, who played 253 games for Essendon between 1992 and 2007, was seen walking through Perth Airport with minimal luggage and a suit, but the reason for his visit is unknown.

Former Essendon coach James Hird arrives at Perth Airport.
Former Essendon coach James Hird arrives at Perth Airport.Picture: Nic Ellis

The West Australian understands Hird is not a candidate for the vacant Fremantle head coaching job, after he ruled himself out of ever returning to a similar role.

“To me that door’s pretty much closed and I think to my family it’s pretty much closed,” Hird told Triple M.

The 46-year-old, who played in two premierships and won the 1996 Brownlow Medal in a 16-year career at Essendon, has headed down a new career path, brokering the sale of massive football clubs the world over as well as repping an Aussie boot brand who have signed one of Brazil’s biggest stars.

Hird’s new career had gone so far he’s even played a role in the sale of famous Italian club Inter Milan.

Hird has had little to do with football since he stepped down from the Bombers’ coaching role at the end of 2015, following a tough on-field season and the now infamous supplement scandal, which saw him banned from coaching for 12 months.

It’s wouldn’t be the first time Fremantle has approached James Hird.

Just last year he turned down the role of opposition analyst.

That position was later filled by Leigh Montagna — a former Ross Lyon-coached St Kilda star.

Last month Montagna spoke about Lyon’s exit from the club and said he hoped the new coach would “still need an oppo analyst”.

James Hird spotted at Perth Airport as Fremantle continue search for new coach
The West Australian
Wednesday, 11 September 2019 5:43PM
Former Essendon coach James Hird arrived at Perth Airport today, carrying minimal luggage and a suit.
Former Essendon coach James Hird arrived at Perth Airport today, carrying minimal luggage and a suit.Picture: The West Australian

Just a week after his beloved Bombers were knocked out of the finals by West Coast, former Essendon coach James Hird was spotted arriving in Perth today.

Hird, who played 253 games for Essendon between 1992 and 2007, was seen walking through Perth Airport with minimal luggage and a suit, but the reason for his visit is unknown.

Former Essendon coach James Hird arrives at Perth Airport.
Former Essendon coach James Hird arrives at Perth Airport.Picture: Nic Ellis

The West Australian understands Hird is not a candidate for the vacant Fremantle head coaching job, after he ruled himself out of ever returning to a similar role.

“To me that door’s pretty much closed and I think to my family it’s pretty much closed,” Hird told Triple M.

The 46-year-old, who played in two premierships and won the 1996 Brownlow Medal in a 16-year career at Essendon, has headed down a new career path, brokering the sale of massive football clubs the world over as well as repping an Aussie boot brand who have signed one of Brazil’s biggest stars.

Hird’s new career had gone so far he’s even played a role in the sale of famous Italian club Inter Milan.

Hird has had little to do with football since he stepped down from the Bombers’ coaching role at the end of 2015, following a tough on-field season and the now infamous supplement scandal, which saw him banned from coaching for 12 months.

It’s wouldn’t be the first time Fremantle has approached James Hird.

Just last year he turned down the role of opposition analyst.

That position was later filled by Leigh Montagna — a former Ross Lyon-coached St Kilda star.

Last month Montagna spoke about Lyon’s exit from the club and said he hoped the new coach would “still need an oppo analyst”.

What a nothing article. Why on earth are we talking about this. Has to be the worst bit of journalism I've seen in a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back