Status
Not open for further replies.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
What if we sign Longmuir in 6 or 7 days? Is that long enough to complete the process?

I am getting happier with the thought of Longmuir, especially after listening to his interviews. I hope he receives the correct support with assistants and mentors. And the elephant in the room is the S&C programme.

Longmuir makes everyone happy....as long as we are all happy...thats what counts...Im happy too

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Adam Simpson, good or bad, he has a cup, Could do a lot worse than Buckley too.
I think the best thing about J-Lo learning from Buckley is that he has done it the hard way, Buckley was not a good coach at the start of his tenure and he is an excellent coach now. He knows as much about what 'doesn't work' as he does about 'what does', it is reassuring to know J-Lo will likely transition into the role with hopefully this knowledge.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
So if we end up with JLo instead of my favourite Clarkson we need an experienced forward line assistant urgently. I'm will be totally pissed if there are only one assistant change to replace Geurra and all the others stay after the message the club was happy to give to the media was that all the un-contracted assistants would be gone.

I like that JLo completed the Level 4 coaching course last year and while that might not be a huge measuring stick, what happened to Sumich? Started the 2 year course at the same time as Longmuir in 2016 but we've heard nothing (except Docker Scott Watters said he'd finished, but no proof) about him actually completing it. I've asked before if anyone can find a report saying Sumich had completed the course and graduated and happy to be proved wrong, but fear this is something that was beyond his ability to complete.

Last year's intake included Justin Longmuir (West Coast) and Jade Rawlings (Melbourne), as well as Peter Sumich and Brett Montgomery, who have since left the AFL system but are completing the course.

The 2017 group is made up of Scott Burns (Collingwood), Brett Kirk (Sydney), Brendon Lade (Port Adelaide), Leigh Tudor (North Melbourne), Dean Solomon (Gold Coast) and Steven King (Western Bulldogs).

afl.com.au/news/2017-06-22/coachings-generation-next-get-their-stripes

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
So if we end up with JLo instead of my favourite Clarkson we need an experienced forward line assistant urgently. I'm will be totally pi**ed if there are only one assistant change to replace Geurra and all the others stay after the message the club was happy to give to the media was that all the un-contracted assistants would be gone.

I like that JLo completed the Level 4 coaching course last year and while that might not be a huge measuring stick, what happened to Sumich? Started the 2 year course at the same time as Longmuir in 2016 but we've heard nothing (except Docker Scott Watters said he'd finished, but no proof) about him actually completing it. I've asked before if anyone can find a report saying Sumich had completed the course and graduated and happy to be proved wrong, but fear this is something that was beyond his ability to complete.

Last year's intake included Justin Longmuir (West Coast) and Jade Rawlings (Melbourne), as well as Peter Sumich and Brett Montgomery, who have since left the AFL system but are completing the course.

The 2017 group is made up of Scott Burns (Collingwood), Brett Kirk (Sydney), Brendon Lade (Port Adelaide), Leigh Tudor (North Melbourne), Dean Solomon (Gold Coast) and Steven King (Western Bulldogs).

Leigh Tudor is available and I remember him being brought up a month or so ago regarding us. Was forwards coach at North

Hilton71

Debutant
Nov 9, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Longmuir appears to be one of the best assistant Coaches going around - previously playing for Freo is just a bonus. Get it done.

No interest in Sumich whatsoever, that idiotic comment about Willie Rioli should have sealed any thoughts the Board had entertained of him coaching Freo.

Would love to see Pyke as Director that supports Longmuir behind the scenes and see if Joel Corey currently development coach at the Bulldogs has any interest in coming home (I realise it has been a long time). Just heard some interviews on ABC about retiring players and loved the sounds of Dale Morris as a defensive coach, the guys sounds like he would eat nails on his Weet-bix if it gave him the 1% edge required for the team. Dale Thomas is the other one from left-field that I would consider bringing in on a Hodge-type deal to play another year then move into a full-time coaching role - sounds surprisingly astute / smart.

May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
So if we end up with JLo instead of my favourite Clarkson we need an experienced forward line assistant urgently. I'm will be totally pi**ed if there are only one assistant change to replace Geurra and all the others stay after the message the club was happy to give to the media was that all the un-contracted assistants would be gone.

I'll be upset if our only assistant change is Geurra too but realistically its so late in the year to be recruiting assistants and theyre hard enough to drag to WA at the best of times, no coach or CEO as it stands isn't helpful either.

At least with a 1 year deal it gives Jlo or whoever the opportunity to keep who he want's and flick the rest and have a whole year to poach other people. The downside is that next year almost becomes a write-off if the new coach is basically surrounded by people who he feels aren't useful to him going forward.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'll be upset if our only assistant change is Geurra too but realistically its so late in the year to be recruiting assistants and theyre hard enough to drag to WA at the best of times, no coach or CEO as it stands isn't helpful either.

At least with a 1 year deal it gives Jlo or whoever the opportunity to keep who he want's and flick the rest and have a whole year to poach other people. The downside is that next year almost becomes a write-off if the new coach is basically surrounded by people who he feels aren't useful to him going forward.
We've had since 1st of August to make changes in our assistants.

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
Longmuir appears to be one of the best assistant Coaches going around - previously playing for Freo is just a bonus. Get it done.

No interest in Sumich whatsoever, that idiotic comment about Willie Rioli should have sealed any thoughts the Board had entertained of him coaching Freo.

Would love to see Pyke as Director that supports Longmuir behind the scenes and see if Joel Corey currently development coach at the Bulldogs has any interest in coming home (I realise it has been a long time). Just heard some interviews on ABC about retiring players and loved the sounds of Dale Morris as a defensive coach, the guys sounds like he would eat nails on his Weet-bix if it gave him the 1% edge required for the team. Dale Thomas is the other one from left-field that I would consider bringing in on a Hodge-type deal to play another year then move into a full-time coaching role - sounds surprisingly astute / smart.
I like the idea of dale morris and joel corey being assistants.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
People need to realize the club isn't playing the same identity politics recruitment strategy many posters on here are playing.

I do believe this is the most thorough recruitment process the club has ever gone through. Really interested to see how this one might play it.

I dearly hope so. Nor the media. I’m terribly disappointed that apparently we’ve only got JLo, Sumich, Voss and Pyke to choose from.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I dearly hope so. Nor the media. I’m terribly disappointed that apparently we’ve only got JLo, Sumich, Voss and Pyke to choose from.
Don't believe anything in the media at all on things like this. Fremantle are one of the secretive clubs in the AFL - they do not leak which is probably why the 6PR idiots get so irritated they just throw darts instead. There is no way the media has a clue who is on our short list for both head coach and CEO, nor which new assistants we may be looking at and letting go. Prestipino's article about Clarkson wouldn't exist if the media knew anything at all that was happening behind closed doors at Cockburn.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
I think the best thing about J-Lo learning from Buckley is that he has done it the hard way, Buckley was not a good coach at the start of his tenure and he is an excellent coach now. He knows as much about what 'doesn't work' as he does about 'what does', it is reassuring to know J-Lo will likely transition into the role with hopefully this knowledge.
Maybe JLo taught Buckley how to coach🙄😄! Being serious JLo would be a good move as your coach, however the question will be if he feels he is ready to be top coach just yet?

Freo Shark

Invasion of the Purple Haze
Oct 18, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks, Miami Heat, Wildcats, 49ers

You would hope this is a thorough recruitment process. You would hope they have reviewed all the assistants and VFL\WAFL\SANFL etc for possible assistant coaches as well as the Head Coach.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
People need to realize the club isn't playing the same identity politics recruitment strategy many posters on here are playing.

I do believe this is the most thorough recruitment process the club has ever gone through. Really interested to see how this one might play it.

You're right. The last two coaches basically fell into our laps (for better or worse). Harvey was just the default that we went with because he was there and did OK following the CC departure and Lyon was just too good to muck around with. We threw out a wishful line and he bit - so there was no 'process' to go through as such.

This is the first time in a long time that we've had to do it 'properly' (so to speak), it's the most deliberate process we've ever had - whether that is well enough or not, we will never really know, not in the short term anyway.

Last edited:

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe JLo taught Buckley how to coach🙄😄! Being serious JLo would be a good move as your coach, however the question will be if he feels he is ready to be top coach just yet?

Buckley and the Pies clearly improved when JLo and Harvey joined him/them so you may have a point even though you were being fasicious.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon

10 years experience assistant coaching, at three clubs and across every line. Level 4 completed years ago. Experience with finals and grand finals. He's already more experienced and prepared than most first time coaches. It's a smart move to not rush in as most don't get a second shot if you don't succeed in the first few years but still if not now when?

TBH if Longmuir did pull out saying he wasn't ready (which seems to be rubbish) I'd be more worried about what that says about Fremantle than Longmuir.

Gimme the Fyfe

All Australian
Sep 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
"I absolutely want Fremantle Dockers job"

Excellent news. Seems to be the most qualified for the position, as per Quokka's post above. The candidate shouldn't necessarily be an ex Freo player, but hey, cherry on top. Hope he gets the gig!

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus

Would be a change from the board that sacked their coach because of media and public opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back