Next Eagles captain

Remove this Banner Ad

campaigner___

Club Legend
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Probably Shuey, although he's getting on. I know Duggan has been touted as a fututre leader for the club too.

Brave Sir Robin

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Shuey is the obvious choice for mine - unless they want someone "long term"

For the next crop the likes of Duggan and Rioli perhaps

I don't see Yeo as captain material - great player - but IMO lacks a few of the required qualities for captain.
Which qualities?

A lot of people thought premiership captain Shannon Hurn wasn't captaincy material too.

Imnotdeadyet

Debutant
Oct 27, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Shuey easily, already the leader.
Watched him last week in front of Eagles race after half time, ran out early, high (and low) fived every player as they came out, waiting till JK came out last, geed 'em mall up.
Natural leader, has learned to play through the tag, speaks very well and is the prototype for the bobbing head toys.

Which qualities?

A lot of people thought premiership captain Shannon Hurn wasn't captaincy material too.

Yeo doesn't strike me as a "leader" when it comes to driving standards and culture

And though his media performances are less droll - he's doesn't appear a deep thinker on the game either.

IMO there is no doubt that Hurn struggles a bit as the "external statesman" but undeniably drives high standards within the club.

It is highly possible I have misread Yeo - but I don't think it. I'm not one to simply allocate best player to captain.

Our best captains have been defenders - Worsfold, Glass and Hurn. And by the end of this season they will be the top 3 for games played as captain of West Coast as Hurn will overtake Cousins later this year

Don’t see any reason why Hurn won’t be captain again in 2020 by which stage Shuey might be too old and they’ll look for someone younger like Duggan. He seems a natural leader to me even if he’s not in the leadership group atm. Elevate him into the group next year ready for him to take over in 2021 or even 2022 if Bunga’s body and form hold up

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Our best captains have been defenders - Worsfold, Glass and Hurn. And by the end of this season they will be the top 3 for games played as captain of West Coast as Hurn will overtake Cousins later this year

Don’t see any reason why Hurn won’t be captain again in 2020 by which stage Shuey might be too old and they’ll look for someone younger like Duggan. He seems a natural leader to me even if he’s not in the leadership group atm. Elevate him into the group next year ready for him to take over in 2021 or even 2022 if Bunga’s body and form hold up
I would see Shuey as an interim coach before Duggan. Do not think Duggan will be ready by 2021, would prefer him to have a couple of years as understudy to Shuey.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

The old No 9 wasnt to bad

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
You're all missing the obvious choice - THE GOV FOR CAPTAIN !!

Btw I'm not joking - McGovern absolutely gives his all every game, puts his body on the line, embodies guts and determination, knows how to play through pain, inspires, can point a directing finger, is highly respected internally, is highly respected externally, plays BIG in BIG games and follows the West Coast tradition of a defence captain. I bet can give a mean spray when needed and also a rousing encouraging talk to lift also. And more than anyone, who else can read the flow and rhythm of a game like him. He is perfect for the role.
I don't see how noone else is considering him?

I would be alright with Shuey also. And like others am wondering about Yeo but can see why others think maybe otherwise.

I do not see Duggan and am wondering why he is suggested so often (has been touted for a couple years now).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben was a great player and lead by example on field without question. Set incredibly high training standards and more than once got us back into games through sheer will power

Against that his recklessness created major off field problems, was the catalyst for a significant rift in the playing group and set us back years at a time when we were primed for a tilt at another flag or two

I’m not trying to put the boots in because the good cousins did for the club outweighed the bad but if we’re ranking captains then whoosh, glass and Bunga are ahead. They’ve all been outstanding leaders

paran

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2007
West Coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Washington Redskins
Duggan was the obvious choice, but I haven't seen him step up in his personal play enough. Has the right attitude is a natural leader imho.

I'm completely off the idea of Duggan these days. Solid player, but he shits me a bit sometimes with his poor decision making and skills.

I was very wrong about Hurn, he's taken leadership to another level these past 2 seasons. I say we give him another 2 more.

Like the idea of Yeo. He'll be in that good/prime age bracket, and even though he's a bit of a hot head, he plays with major passion in every game.

Hits every contest hard and wants to win. If not captain then definitely potential leadership group for mine.

Barrass would be talked about more if he wasn't dead. His 2018 plus the games he's played in 2019 were top notch.

DanielKerr4

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2003
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Burnley FC
Yeo does seem like the obvious choice, however, the boys on backchat always make digs at him about being super annoying. Obviously it’s banter but there must be some truth to it. For example when the lift thing happened they said “imagine being in there with Yeoy”. Just a thought that he might not be the most popular?

FWIW, Shuey into Allen.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
Ben undoubtedly set the bar high on-field but he also helped tear the club apart with his off-field antics. A good captain makes headlines for his leadership and class, not for evading RBT's and jumping fences.

Loved Ben as a footy player but he destroyed this club.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
Barrass has expresed interest in holding a leadership position. Seems a little too laid back for mine but he could be a left-field candidate when Bunga passes the reigns on.

Other than that Duggan and Shuey are the more obvious choices. Yeo drops his head too much for a captain IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back