Next Eagles captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
I suggest we will see Hurn in the role for 2020 meaning it’s hard to go for Shuey in 2021. I think Shuey has longevity and believe he will start spending more time up forward in future years.

If you want a defender type that puts j each and every week then Sheppard would be worth a look. Likewise Barrass if you want s younger version. Tom captained Claremont volts very well do he has pedigree as a flag winning captain.

random260

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I warmed up to Shuey he stands up in big moments. Maybe he isn't a typical authoritarian captain but he is the on field captain.

As for Yeo not really the brightest tool in the shed speaking wise and academic wise.

But besides from Shuey.

Duggan vs Tom B seems likely. Nobody is really raging for captaincy and Allen will hes unproven, which is obvious for a first year player.

I suggest we will see Hurn in the role for 2020 meaning it’s hard to go for Shuey in 2021. I think Shuey has longevity and believe he will start spending more time up forward in future years.

If you want a defender type that puts j each and every week then Sheppard would be worth a look. Likewise Barrass if you want s younger version. Tom captained Claremont volts very well do he has pedigree as a flag winning captain.

Unfortunately, hes indicated in interviews as saying hes getting too old/my body isn't getting any younger (from preseason press). So I would think he retires quite young/falls of the cliff at 31/32 judging about how he speaks

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Is it a tad concerning we have no obvious candidate yet? I'd say Shuey and Gov but they are very short term options if and when they take the reigns. Duggan doesn't really set the world on fire for me. I don't really see why everyone labels him as our next captain.

Is it a tad concerning we have no obvious candidate yet? I'd say Shuey and Gov but they are very short term options if and when they take the reigns. Duggan doesn't really set the world on fire for me. I don't really see why everyone labels him as our next captain.

I think the reason there’s no obvious candidate is because there are a number of options - Shuey, Gov, Shepp and arguably Yeo could all take the mantle next year if required

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I reckon the last obvious candidate we had was Cousins, and then by default Judd who never really wanted it but was VC and our best player.

Darren Glass and Shannon Hurn are both pretty low profile guys, and until last year Hurn had no real personal accolades to speak of. As a complete outsider looking in if it's not Shuey then I would say Yeo, but it could be someone like Cripps or Sheppard.

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
I know it's not really our deal, but given the age profile and shuey's runs on the board, perhaps we could go down the co-captain route for a couple of years.

When Hurn retires, Shuey gets a year or so as the solo captain and then it transfers to someone for the long term.

Captain in the middle and the back lines. Shuey can do more of the media stuff that Hurn doesn't like and we maintain stability.

I'm generally not a fan of co-captains but it would be nice to recognise Luke and given his age he might not otherwise get the chance.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I reckon the last obvious candidate we had was Cousins, and then by default Judd who never really wanted it but was VC and our best player.

Darren Glass and Shannon Hurn are both pretty low profile guys, and until last year Hurn had no real personal accolades to speak of. As a complete outsider looking in if it's not Shuey then I would say Yeo, but it could be someone like Cripps or Sheppard.
Have you heard Cripps publicly speak?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
It's sandpaper to the ears. He gave an abomination of an interview to BT after the win against Melbourne. Real thick bogan, country boy accent. Does not speak well in the slightest. Not something the Eagles back office will want in a captain.

bombard

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeo's certainly got the passion and on-field drive to be a captain, but I do worry he suffers from the natural footballer problem. Someone who has a pure and natural gift for the game and may struggle to understand why others can't hit the same heights as him (Buckley's early coaching years, Vossy's coaching years both good examples of same problem).

Shuey is someone who has had to think his way through development and bleeds blue and gold. If age doesn't work then, yes, Duggan and Allen both look likely types (Allen in particular for mine). Someone mentioned Rioli and I actually think that's a fascinating left-field idea - he strikes me as someone who rises to every challenge put in front of him. Could be special - but not sure if it's something he would want or if he'll stay on the park enough.

Wild Kelly

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
It's sandpaper to the ears. He gave an abomination of an interview to BT after the win against Melbourne. Real thick bogan, country boy accent. Does not speak well in the slightest. Not something the Eagles back office will want in a captain.
Oi.......enough of the sandpaper quips! World 50/50 will be upon us soon and we will get enough from the poms then.

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
Barrass has expresed interest in holding a leadership position. Seems a little too laid back for mine but he could be a left-field candidate when Bunga passes the reigns on.

Other than that Duggan and Shuey are the more obvious choices. Yeo drops his head too much for a captain IMO.
Hurn used to do a bit of grass gazing in his first couple of years as captain. Much better these days.

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Interestingly the big "Talisman" has not had a mention. For intimidation factor his name must come up surely.

I always thought it would be Shuey, but he will be 29 next month. I've been pleasantly surprised by Hurn's durability and performance in the twilight of his career. I agree with the above suggestion of recognising Shuey's performance and leadership qualities whilst he's still around, even if I normally don't like co-captains. Shuey as the standalone captain for a year or two until Sheed is ready :) .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back