ROYAL EAGLE

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Is it a tad concerning we have no obvious candidate yet? I'd say Shuey and Gov but they are very short term options if and when they take the reigns. Duggan doesn't really set the world on fire for me. I don't really see why everyone labels him as our next captain.

Its because the players at the club see him as it.

Yippy Yi Yeo

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
While Shuey will either be turning 30 or 31 in the year that he is made captain if he is, he effectively missed his first 2 seasons of AFL footy due to extenuating circumstances which means he should be able to play on a bit longer than otherwise, and he only seems to be getting better with age. I see no reason why he wouldn't be able to play on another 4 or more seasons following this year, which would give him at least 2 or 3 years as a stop gap captain before someone like Allen or Duggan matures enough to take the reigns. He is perfect captain material in my eyes and assuming his body holds up I don't see why it matters if he is on the older end of the spectrum for a new captain.

Dam0

Draftee
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
McGovern being captain would probably make me throw up in my mouth.
One of the most selfish players I've ever had the distaste of watching. He plays a role that Simpson has designed & gets cult status + $1m/yr for it when any other player such as Barrass would probably do it better & cheaper without the glory stealing sideshows.

I've never seen a player flop to the ground with minimal-no contact, to avoid actually impacting an easy goal-square goal. The guy goes to ground more than Julian Assange. He also takes more run-from-behind-50m-punts than guys like Matty Suckling, Franklin or Hurn etc, you know, guys that could actually hit it.
I went back and looked up how many he took/made either 2018 or 2017, and it was around 12 and went 0/12.
TLDR; Selfish as s**t.

Sheppard for me.
The guy goes back with the flight and genuinely puts himself at risk to help his teammates.
Not only that but he went from being a pure mid, to being a super accountable yet great intercepting rebounding back-pocket general that doesn't get enough credit from non-wce supporters.

You see McFluffen wandering around by himself waiting for cherrypick marks, Sheppard is generally the one guarding both of their opponents to allow this.
This means he regularly picks up guys with 10+ cm on him, and how often do we actually see him lose a contest? Maybe once a match.
Captain this man.

JohnW

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
One of the most selfish players I've ever had the distaste of watching. He plays a role that Simpson has designed & gets cult status + $1m/yr for it when any other player such as Barrass would probably do it better & cheaper without the glory stealing sideshows.

I've never seen a player flop to the ground with minimal-no contact, to avoid actually impacting an easy goal-square goal. The guy goes to ground more than Julian Assange. He also takes more run-from-behind-50m-punts than guys like Matty Suckling, Franklin or Hurn etc, you know, guys that could actually hit it.
I went back and looked up how many he took/made either 2018 or 2017, and it was around 12 and went 0/12.
TLDR; Selfish as ****.

Sheppard for me.
The guy goes back with the flight and genuinely puts himself at risk to help his teammates.
Not only that but he went from being a pure mid, to being a super accountable yet great intercepting rebounding back-pocket general that doesn't get enough credit from non-wce supporters.

You see McFluffen wandering around by himself waiting for cherrypick marks, Sheppard is generally the one guarding both of their opponents to allow this.
This means he regularly picks up guys with 10+ cm on him, and how often do we actually see him lose a contest? Maybe once a match.
Captain this man.
Change your name to DamNooooooooooo

Love shep.

But don't be shitting on the guy who played a massive part in our flag etc etc.

Nooooooooo

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
While Shuey will either be turning 30 or 31 in the year that he is made captain if he is, he effectively missed his first 2 seasons of AFL footy due to extenuating circumstances which means he should be able to play on a bit longer than otherwise, and he only seems to be getting better with age. I see no reason why he wouldn't be able to play on another 4 or more seasons following this year, which would give him at least 2 or 3 years as a stop gap captain before someone like Allen or Duggan matures enough to take the reigns. He is perfect captain material in my eyes and assuming his body holds up I don't see why it matters if he is on the older end of the spectrum for a new captain.
I think for this to happen he needs to start playing a bit more hff and only go in the middle when it matters very much like cousins at the end with us. This way we can develop other mids and extend his career. More of him kicking into the **** of the forwards is what we want.

Priddis Is Done

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

TLDR; Selfish as ****.

Sheppard for me.

Captain this man.
Jesus

Tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back son.

Can you also tell us the time he took a dump in your backyard when he was a teenager?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Ran off with your Girlfriend Huh! It's a big hole to fill when that happens,, but hey, you have given it a good f!##&*g crack old son. Well done.

Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, GSW Bandwagoner
Interesting opinion. Have a listen into Will Schofield's opinion on Gov. From 14min in on this week's podcast of coast to coast.
https://feed.podbean.com/wcecoasttocoast/feed.xml
https://wcecoasttocoast.podbean.com

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL

TLDR; Selfish as ****.

Sheppard for me.

Captain this man.

Gees do you even know what Gov went through to be available for the Grand Final he got out of a hospital bed for WCE ..

That mark in the dying seconds won us a Grand Final..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yippy Yi Yeo

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I think for this to happen he needs to start playing a bit more hff and only go in the middle when it matters very much like cousins at the end with us. This way we can develop other mids and extend his career. More of him kicking into the **** of the forwards is what we want.
Landing either of Kelly or Coniglio would go a long way for allowing that to happen which is what I'm hoping for

xown

Team Captain
Mar 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
I’m sure stats will prove me wrong but McGovern just seems lazy.
If you go to the games keep an eye on a few things.
The bloke never hands out footys at end to anyone other than right at the exit as they walk out. (Might not seem like much but it’s just funny to notice it)
Normally one of two people that don’t get around the young blokes when they kick their first goals etc
Always quick to stop when he’s beaten
And as said above, every bit of contact, minor or hard he appears to be injured and you just wonder if he’s ever going to get up

wc_eagles_since86

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2019
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Liverpool
Interesting opinion. Have a listen into Will Schofield's opinion on Gov. From 14min in on this week's podcast of coast to coast.
https://feed.podbean.com/wcecoasttocoast/feed.xml
https://wcecoasttocoast.podbean.com

Thanks for that. I had to say I was a bit gobsmacked by the anti-Govern crowd diatribe. Can't say I agree with most of it, but I probably don't look for his negatives, he's always seemed like a ******* beast to me.

The 2nd thing that threw me off was Duggan. Not a dude I picked to be Captain, didn't know he was anointed as such. Interesting. Anyone know why exactly and if that's true or not? References anywhere?

Interesting thread. :)

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
One of the most selfish players I've ever had the distaste of watching. He plays a role that Simpson has designed & gets cult status + $1m/yr for it when any other player such as Barrass would probably do it better & cheaper without the glory stealing side show..
TLDR; Selfish as ****.

You're an idiot. McGovern holds the league record for intercept marking for about 5 years in a row. A whole career backing back in front of key forwards and winning clean possession at CHB. Selfish.

Last edited:

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

TLDR; Selfish as ****.

F*cken hell, dude! Which Freo board muppet do you belong to?

Any player on our list would make a better captain than Polly-Prissy-Pants Fyfe anyday.

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Shuey or Yeo depending on the timing. Further discussion not needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back