Next First Round Draft pick to request a trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Curtin.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Doubt it given new recruits are on a 2 year deal... & doesn't have issues with ice baths

There is likely to be someone else out of contract next season who will request a trade.

Logan McDonald looks more likely with Freo loading up on 1st round picks.

Doubt it given new recruits are on a 2 year deal... & doesn't have issues with ice baths

There is likely to be someone else out of contract next season who will request a trade.

Logan McDonald looks more likely with Freo loading up on 1st round picks.
3 years.

North will be a watch. They have alot of young talented mids. Not room for them all to play. Wardlaw, Powell and Phillips in particular are pure onballers and cant really play anywhere else. If Powell or Phillips spend a large part of the year out of the 22 I could see them requesting a trade.
The volume of high draft picks is akin to the most recent expansion teams. GWS is establishing a reasonable retention rate and getting reasonable trade value if the high picks do want to leave - I'm not sure if North can replicate that. There is a real 'sameness' to the North Melbourne recruits as midfielder-type roles. I think they are going to struggle to give them all game time and to fit them in the salary cap when they hit their straps.

North will be a watch. They have alot of young talented mids. Not room for them all to play. Wardlaw, Powell and Phillips in particular are pure onballers and cant really play anywhere else. If Powell or Phillips spend a large part of the year out of the 22 I could see them requesting a trade.
Good point... which makes it strange the have often ignored key position players whilst drafting so many 1st rounder midfielders.

It's like they have Terry Wallace consulting them...

Hate to entertain this but I concede it's possible.

Eagles might offer their first rounder (top 3) pick as well.

Can't see him getting to Freo unless you have a terrible season

You won’t just take Freo’s suite of first round picks?

Assuming they play finals next year (likely), you could jag something like 12,24,25 - probably something coming back.

That’d easily get it done for a player currently living off his high draft position.

You won’t just take Freo’s suite of first round picks?

Assuming they play finals next year (likely), you could jag something like 12,24,25 - probably something coming back.

That’d easily get it done for a player currently living off his high draft position.
Nah Freo can gagf.
Not negotiating with that twerp Bell..

If the question is

Cadman, Walter or Logan?

I'm taking Logan all day long and so are most clubs.

Last edited:
Hate to entertain this but I concede it's possible.

Eagles might offer their first rounder (top 3) pick as well.

Can't see him getting to Freo unless you have a terrible season
If he wants to leave he’ll get to where he wants to go. Swans will have no leverage with no contract.

WC won’t give you pick 1 for him, they will split it and give you a single later pick if he choose you.

Freo will offer a single low pick from which ever is lowest out of the three we have or two later ones.

If Logan McDonald is good enough to be expensive and doesn’t want to stay at Sydney (which I’d imagine is because Sydney either spend the money or save the money for someone better and more expensive) then…

I’m not convinced Freo will be able to afford him whilst smartly building a list. Amiss is a big money guy. Jackson’s on big money. And have to assume they do get a Darcy deal done. Even with Jackson as a utility it’s a lot of cash on 2 rucks and a key forward without Logan.

West Coast should have the cap space but with Bailey Williams possibly a good ruck/forward, having a swing at Archer Reid and so many needs will they go hard for a 2nd gun key forward? It’s a list with a lot of backline and flanker needs. They probably just go for it but elite key forwards without a backline or midfield depth might not be a smart idea.

I’d actually imagine the bigger money coming from Adelaide (Tex replacement) or a Victorian club (Melb, possibly Geel, Rich, Hawks, North).

I expect he’ll stay at the Swans unless they can pull a Jamarra heist (and maybe even if they do), but if he goes on the market because the Swans don’t offer the cash he could go anywhere.

Nah Freo can gagf.

If the question is

Cadman, Walter or Logan?

Walter >> Cadman > (just) Logan depending on the club.

Walter is beast, the ground level game is so important these days and he really hits the contest with physicality.

Cadman should be very good, I’d take the upside on his movement and skills over Logan for clubs with time and good development programs. In a years time I expect he’ll be looking solid.

Logan is already good and will only get better, he’s a safe choice as a solid key forward but unless he’s adding a lot of power he might lack a stand out attribute to be one of the very best. Which is why the Swans had a crack at Naughton to either get him or soften the Dogs up for an assault on Jamarra.

Walter >> Cadman > (just) Logan depending on the club.

Walter is beast, the ground level game is so important these days and he really hits the contest with physicality.

Cadman should be very good, I’d take the upside on his movement and skills over Logan for clubs with time and good development programs. In a years time I expect he’ll be looking solid.

Logan is already good and will only get better, he’s a safe choice as a solid key forward but unless he’s adding a lot of power he might lack a stand out attribute to be one of the very best. Which is why the Swans had a crack at Naughton to either get him or soften the Dogs up for an assault on Jamarra.
Walter has all the trademarks of an absolute animal - definitely someone to build a system around.

I feel he would be very difficult to pry out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct. You'd imagine LDU-Wardlaw-McKercher is the ideal midfield in a few years' time. There's Simpkin in the mean time to fill out as a mature player. Then there's Thomas as a mid-fwd. Where's the room for Phillips and Powell to get their midfield time? Neither seem able to play anywhere else. I think Powell might have blown a year of his career by not leaving, and can see him playing a lot of VFL, and can see him leaving next off-season. Phillips can play but can he crack the top three prospects at North? I'm dubious, especially when you've got a bloke like Tarryn Thomas who can simultaneously play elsewhere and carry the fourth CBA rotation. Phillips may end up being a role player I fear.

Correct. You'd imagine LDU-Wardlaw-McKercher is the ideal midfield in a few years' time. There's Simpkin in the mean time to fill out as a mature player. Then there's Thomas as a mid-fwd. Where's the room for Phillips and Powell to get their midfield time? Neither seem able to play anywhere else. I think Powell might have blown a year of his career by not leaving, and can see him playing a lot of VFL, and can see him leaving next off-season. Phillips can play but can he crack the top three prospects at North? I'm dubious, especially when you've got a bloke like Tarryn Thomas who can simultaneously play elsewhere and carry the fourth CBA rotation. Phillips may end up being a role player I fear.

100%. I have strong doubts either will be worth their draft spot, but can see them being Paddy Dow fringe types. Best form gets a good run of games and can be one of the better mids on the ground like Dow had at stages this year, worst form has them dropped, but I expect they will likely both leave at some stage in next couple of years.

Good point... which makes it strange the have often ignored key position players whilst drafting so many 1st rounder midfielders.

It's like they have Terry Wallace consulting them...

Eh - aside from 2020

2023 - skipped only Curtain, who would have been the first answer in this thread had we picked him. Slid through the Vic clubs for a reason

2022 - GWS desperately wanted Cadman, we were losing our pick 1 mid so made sense to go mid, and no complaints with Sheezlaw yet - in fact, probably our only wins in a while. Additionally, we got a rare chance for a steal (high reward, but with moderate risk) pick with George

2021 - couldn’t take Darcy, next up was a third fall in Andrew (not a KPP) and then Amiss at 9 - hardly going to reach for those with pick 1

Logan McDonald was the big miss but now talk he will go home to Perth. If Sydney can’t keep him with Buddy gone giving him the keys and playing finals and contending, then spoon North wouldn’t have either. And the only other realistic miss was Cadman but GWS got us a deal over the line that might have resulted in a worse draft for us

Eh - aside from 2020

2023 - skipped only Curtain, who would have been the first answer in this thread had we picked him. Slid through the Vic clubs for a reason

2022 - GWS desperately wanted Cadman, we were losing our pick 1 mid so made sense to go mid, and no complaints with Sheezlaw yet - in fact, probably our only wins in a while. Additionally, we got a rare chance for a steal (high reward, but with moderate risk) pick with George

2021 - couldn’t take Darcy, next up was a third fall in Andrew (not a KPP) and then Amiss at 9 - hardly going to reach for those with pick 1

Logan McDonald was the big miss but now talk he will go home to Perth. If Sydney can’t keep him with Buddy gone giving him the keys and playing finals and contending, then spoon North wouldn’t have either. And the only other realistic miss was Cadman but GWS got us a deal over the line that might have resulted in a worse draft for us
Thanks you have confirmed my post. ;)

Eh - aside from 2020

Individually all those decisions make total sense, but put together it does raise questions. All together its a massively talented midfield group, if North can trade/Free Agent in a key forward it could all come together massively. So maybe it does come back to the OP question of who can North look to drag out of another club?

Nah Freo can gagf.

If the question is

Cadman, Walter or Logan?

Mate: It'd be Kinnear Beatson negotiating with Bell/Walls. We'd be lucky to have a 5th round pick and a Washing Machine left after you're done fleecing us on that deal

As I said before, forget about Cadman, he is staying at GWS

88e56q.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back