Next flag - Carlton, Essendon or Richmond?

Who will win their next flag first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogs have repeatedly made prelims which gives them a chance to get through and win. We barely even make finals, let alone win any. I can't see us even just winning a final for another 2-3 coaches
The Dogs had played 1 final since 2010 before last year and lost it.

I voted for Essendon whenever I last visited this thread (maybe a year ago?) and I am not changing my vote. Their list looks like it is heading to a good direction.

What about next team to win an elim final so we can finally get a result & shut this stupid thread?

Actually it'll probably still take a few years until Carlton get there

And 4 prelims in a row a few years prior to that
Yes. However only Boyd, Morris and Picken were playing in any of those prelims from their GF side.

Blues are obviously behind given the state of their rebuild
tigers have recruited a decent midfield but still need to pad out the bookends. 2 decent 1st round picks this year will go a long way to helping
Dons have a good list balance, but depth is an issue. As is a game winning mid.

all 3 a bit behind the SA team, West Coast and Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbh I can't see us winning a flag ever,
Gotta agree atm middling to bottom side with a list that is devoid of talent outside of a starting 22 at best.

It is laughable the kp situation
Only Rance in defense the next best is Astbury and boy hes a battler. Only Riewoldt up fwd and then what Griffiths fmd hes a pea heart who is even more inconsistent than what Vickery was.Ask yourself how hard would it be to upgrade on these two.Ask yourself what is in development that could possibly come in and play to a reasonable level reality there is nothing if someone has to come in then we are just gunna hope they can reach a reasonable standard.
When it comes to talls outside of two the cupboard is bare and the reason for that is so little attention has been paid to these areas.

We still search in vain for well rounded sml/med defenders who can actually defend well.Houli, Conca, Hunt, B Ellis fmd its horrid.
Sadly we have a few juniors who actually have the attributes but just refuse to play em.

Even our so called much vaunted midfield . Martin, Cotchin, Prestia and the only other one id put there is Miles who is undervalued then it is scary at just how much it drops away.

Essendon's young core is pretty ******* good now. We need to get some games into Francis and Laverde this year though.

Richmond are in an awkward position as was stated earlier, I wonder if trading out 25-28 year old stars at the end of this year and going hard rebuild is a good idea for them.

Carlton have finally started a methodical rebuild but just two years in I don't think they are even expecting to climb the ladder this year. Nail this draft and they will be hoping for a rise over the next few years. Still probably 4 or 5 years away from finals, maybe 1 year earlier at best.

I think Essendon is in the best position, but we may find that by the time our young core is ready to go to prelims we lose a lot from Watson, Kelly and Goddard leaving. Best chance is if we pick up a FA gem like Martin at the end of the year, especially if we can win one final this year.

I also think it will be a while before you can judge Essendon. Perhaps last night's win wasn't so good and Hawthorn is sliding more than most expect. We have Brisbane and Carlton in the next two games. As both are likely bottom 4 teams we probably can't take much out of those results either.

I am more confident in Essendon than the other two from 2018 onwards, doesn't mean they will do anything significant in the finals though.

Good time to revisit this now that a new season has started.

Right now, we're probably the closest, but I like what Carlton are doing under Bolton, and I can see them following a similar trajectory to Hawthorn 2005-2008.

images

Essendon's young core is pretty ******* good now. We need to get some games into Francis and Laverde this year though.

Richmond are in an awkward position as was stated earlier, I wonder if trading out 25-28 year old stars at the end of this year and going hard rebuild is a good idea for them.

Carlton have finally started a methodical rebuild but just two years in I don't think they are even expecting to climb the ladder this year. Nail this draft and they will be hoping for a rise over the next few years. Still probably 4 or 5 years away from finals, maybe 1 year earlier at best.

I think Essendon is in the best position, but we may find that by the time our young core is ready to go to prelims we lose a lot from Watson, Kelly and Goddard leaving. Best chance is if we pick up a FA gem like Martin at the end of the year, especially if we can win one final this year.

I also think it will be a while before you can judge Essendon. Perhaps last night's win wasn't so good and Hawthorn is sliding more than most expect. We have Brisbane and Carlton in the next two games. As both are likely bottom 4 teams we probably can't take much out of those results either.

I am more confident in Essendon than the other two from 2018 onwards, doesn't mean they will do anything significant in the finals though.

Average age

Carlton 24.94
Richmond 25.12
Essendon 25.57

Richmond will be looking to get Short (21), Markov (20), Menadue (20), Miles (25) and maybe C.Ellis (20) and Lennon (21) into their 22 during the year. Our list has gaps and may turn into a blancmange without adding further quality, but it's not crying out for a rebuild.

Essendon has Hocking (29), Leuenberger (28), Howlett (28), Bird (28), Myers (27) and Bellchambers (27) on the outer. Not sure how many of those are in your best side.

Average age

Carlton 24.94
Richmond 25.12
Essendon 25.57

Richmond will be looking to get Short (21), Markov (20), Menadue (20), Miles (25) and maybe C.Ellis (20) and Lennon (21) into their 22 during the year. Our list has gaps and may turn into a blancmange without adding further quality, but it's not crying out for a rebuild.

Essendon has Hocking (29), Leuenberger (28), Howlett (28), Bird (28), Myers (27) and Bellchambers (27) on the outer. Not sure how many of those are in your best side.

Luenberger and Myers. In form Hocking maybe.

Bird is on our list because St Kilda are hard to deal with and Howlett is because of ASAGA sympathy. With all his injuries Bellchambers is as useless as Hampson.

I don't think your youth compares to Zerrett, Parish, Francis, Tippa, McGrath, Fantasia, Daniher, Laverde, Langford and Begley. My opinion of course but I don't think it is only Essendon supporters who would say that.

We're very skinny in the ruck and would like one more inside mid who can contribute on the outside and kick goals. Expect Essendon to put a big contract under Dusty's nose.

I don't think your youth compares to Zerrett, Parish, Francis, Tippa, McGrath, Fantasia, Daniher, Laverde, Langford and Begley. My opinion of course but I don't think it is only Essendon supporters who would say that.

We're very skinny in the ruck and would like one more inside mid who can contribute on the outside and kick goals. Expect Essendon to put a big contract under Dusty's nose.

No, it doesn't. We need to keep trading well and recruit better. But we don't have 4-5 regulars over 30 either.

Don't think there's much point discussing Martin leaving unless/until the whole thing collapses and Dimma is fired.

Average age

Carlton 24.94
Richmond 25.12
Essendon 25.57

Myers potentially. remainder, less so.
Berger may struggle if McKernan and Daniher in support give us mobile, goal scoring rucks.
Admittedly, they've faced McEvoy/Vickery to date.
Martin next week should stretch them.

No, it doesn't. We need to keep trading well and recruit better. But we don't have 4-5 regulars over 30 either.

Don't think there's much point discussing Martin leaving unless/until the whole thing collapses and Dimma is fired.

I think they are going to be passed in the next few years. As good as Kelly and Goddard are I think having both in defense costs us run. Stanton will be replaced. Watson is the only one who is replacable. Having said that this year his role may be to draw the tag and let Heppell and Zerrett shine.

Prestia and Caddy make a difference to your side now. I think it is about time we count players like that as young players. Both will be good contributers for more than 5 years. Is Conca still playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back