Multiplat Next Gen TV buying guide and cheat sheet v1.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Figured this is a better place than any to ask. Whats the best way to clean a tv screen? Recently moved and now my TVs have fingerprints and god knows what else all over them.

My TV in the lounge room gets a fair amount of fingerprints due to having two kids under 4 in my household.

I was using water and also tried some water with a tiny amount of soap but nothing worked properly.

I recently bought this from JB and it worked perfectly. I highly recommend it.

My TV in the lounge room gets a fair amount of fingerprints due to having two kids under 4 in my household.

I was using water and also tried some water with a tiny amount of soap but nothing worked properly.

I recently bought this from JB and it worked perfectly. I highly recommend it.

Thanks, just ordered some as the amazon order wasn't coming today as promised.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
Received my x900h today, so far so good.
Calibrated the settings and running dirty screen effect and blooming tests.
Think I have a good panel, can only notice DSE in the corners which seems to be normal when looking it up

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Received my x900h today, so far so good.
Calibrated the settings and running dirty screen effect and blooming tests.
Think I have a good panel, can only notice DSE in the corners which seems to be normal when looking it up

Not sure you can entirely eliminate DSE on an LED anyway. If it's only in the corners then it sounds like you got a decent panel anyway. It's really a lottery.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
It was a mission, everything wall mounted for the clean look.
Spot for the XsX down below.

Only issue I have is the vesa mounting on the TV, they ain't centre and to the bottom.

This is the lowest I could go I would like to drop it another 50-100mm, might make a bracket at work.
6b7bde63927c197bc52f1695be9767ad.jpg

It was a mission, everything wall mounted for the clean look.
Spot for the XsX down below.

Only issue I have is the vesa mounting on the TV, they ain't centre and to the bottom.

This is the lowest I could go I would like to drop it another 50-100mm, might make a bracket at work.
6b7bde63927c197bc52f1695be9767ad.jpg

Should have the HDMI 2.1 update as well.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
Update with the x900h

Been playing with Dolby vision with Disney+, infinity war and mandalorian.
The vibrant colours from the space scenes and the light sabres pop.
Very happy with this TV, haven't experienced any issues that some people have encounted.

Supposedly there still a slight blur with 4k@120hz but its vocal from people wanting to use it up close as a PC monitor with a 3080.

DEAN0

Senior List
Jul 22, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
I've been using the 4k (well dynamic 4k mostly) + 120hz feature a ton with call of duty and rainbow six on my x900h and its been brilliant so far, havent had any issues with it​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
Sony have also announced HDMI 2.1 across their entire line. I feel a little vindicated about advising to hold off until this year to buy a new TV now :grimacing:

I'm happy with the x900h but Sony are currently removing features they promised for the set on their websites which pisses me off.

Also the new line up has the same fine print, "future firmware" same promises with the x900h

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
Sony have canceled implementing VRR amd ALLM for the X900h. Thats pretty low for a company to advertise the set as PS5 ready, saying a firmware update will soon provide those features, then reneging on that promise.

I don't trust FOMO he is know for click bait vids and is often wrong.

It's still 50/50, the spec sheets on majority of the global sites still list allm and vrr but it was deleted off our Aussie one in Oct/Nov. The new x80j and x85j TVs have the same processor as the x900h and they are offered with full 2.1 features. People are still getting responses from Sony it will be added to the x90h.

4/120 not a huge issue, it looks perfectly fine to me but allm and vrr is what I wanted. I don't have the box for the TV anymore....

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I'd be upset if VRR of all things is not honoured when they said it would. That's a selling point, especially when it comes to buying it for your console. Did Sony actually advertise it as a x900 feature though? Because clearly there would be all kinds of ACCC implications if true.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd be upset if VRR of all things is not honoured when they said it would. That's a selling point, especially when it comes to buying it for your console. Did Sony actually advertise it as a x900 feature though? Because clearly there would be all kinds of ACCC implications if true.
If you scroll down to the bottom you'll see the change on the Australian website.

Current - https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/televisions/x90h-series/specifications

Previous - https://web.archive.org/web/2020091...ronics/televisions/x90h-series/specifications

It was changed months ago but it seems like sony are listing current features not what they plan to add via future. Who knows, I'll wait and see and if nothing gets sorted will go through the ACCC

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I think no device runs Android 11 yet even though it came out early/mid last year.
It's being branded as google TV now afaik

Pixel phones got it a little while ago I think because they're a pure Android device. I thought I saw something only a week ago that it was available for my S10 but I'm probably going to get an S21 anyway so I haven't looked into it much. Not sure how far behind everyone else running modified Android will be.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Anyone familiar with this sort of blue blotching issue? Attached photos are from Gears 5 and Little Nightmares on the Series X and an episode of The Expanse on the TV's Amazon app.

I did a factory reset yesterday which fixed it for about an hour before it started to appear again.

The TV is a Samsung Q80T 75 inch. I already had to replace it once due to horrible vertical banding, now I'm getting this on the replacement unit.

20210208_130216.jpg 20210208_125957.jpg 20210208_130014.jpg 20210208_130109.jpg 20210208_125827.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back