Multiplat Next Gen TV buying guide and cheat sheet v1.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Any advice or suggestions for monitors would be appreciated (not that I have my hands on a PS5 or anything yet... but soon).

I know it's possible, but is it worth it?

The console will be in our study / office / spare room and not in the main living room.

A TV in the spare room is out of the equation, as is having the PS5 with a brand new TV in the living room.

But a new monitor for the 'work from home' office (and future PS5) is on the cards. Two birds one stone?

Doesn't need to be huge. Current monitor is 24 inch and current TV is 42 inch - something in between?

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
IIRC the PS5 doesn't really support 1440p - if that is the case, you're basically stuck with a 27" 1080p monitor as 1080p images on 1440p monitors look terrible, and there aren't a whole heap of high refresh 4k monitors that are worth it.

If you have the budget and want 4k, the LG 27GN950 or ASUS XG27UQ is the recommended 4k monitor at the moment

IIRC the PS5 doesn't really support 1440p - if that is the case, you're basically stuck with a 27" 1080p monitor as 1080p images on 1440p monitors look terrible, and there aren't a whole heap of high refresh 4k monitors that are worth it.

If you have the budget and want 4k, the LG 27GN950 or ASUS XG27UQ is the recommended 4k monitor at the moment
Thanks for clarifying. It's all a little foreign to me.

Yikes - may as well grab a new TV - similar price.

What is the catch with 4K monitors such as a BENQ EL2870U? 4K and a third of the price. Is a budget monitor not ideal for a casual gamer, or is there a red flag I am not aware of?

Amazon link

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
What is the catch with 4K monitors such as a BENQ EL2870U? 4K and a third of the price. Is a budget monitor not ideal for a casual gamer, or is there a red flag I am not aware of?

Amazon link
60Hz refresh rate is not good, plus it being an TN means its the worst type of LCD.

TN panels are only good for their speed and given that that screen is not fast, you'll be getting all the bad things about TN (poor colour reproduction, low contrast ratios and terrible viewing angles) without any of the benefits

60Hz refresh rate is not good, plus it being an TN means its the worst type of LCD.

TN panels are only good for their speed and given that that screen is not fast, you'll be getting all the bad things about TN (poor colours and terrible viewing angles) without any of the benefits
I see. Is there a recommended minimum/standard Hz refresh rate I should be aiming for.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I see. Is there a recommended minimum/standard Hz refresh rate I should be aiming for.
I guess it depends on what games you play and whether any of them will be ones that the PS5 will run at 120fps

Even casual gamers can tell the difference between 60fps and 100-120fps, so ideally you'd get a monitor that can support 100Hz+ for future proofing reasons

I guess it depends on what games you play and whether any of them will be ones that the PS5 will run at 120fps

Even casual gamers can tell the difference between 60fps and 100-120fps, so ideally you'd get a monitor that can support 100Hz+ for future proofing reasons
Noted - thank you.
I assume the Hz on a new 4K TV is also as important? A similar price comparison TV I found is here but I assume will have the same issues.

My current budget is less than $500, so I thought the monitor might be a clever way around the issue. Maybe not!

The current TV (philips 42pfl7532d/79) and monitor (LG 24m47vq-p) I assume will either struggle or not work.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Value wise monitors are pretty poop compared to TVs for console gaming. A bit easier for PC due to the 1440p options that aren't viable for console.

Even if money wasn't a factor there aren't many monitors at all that cover all the features desired to make the most of next gen consoles and it doesn't look like that will change this year either. TVs also don't seem to include their best feature sets under 55", though last year's 48" LG CX seemed to be the exception. I saw the 2021 TVs are now listed as coming soon at most retailers and seeing 50" models in the more premium lines but I haven't really taken the time to go through them yet.

Value wise monitors are pretty poop compared to TVs for console gaming. A bit easier for PC due to the 1440p options that aren't viable for console.

Even if money wasn't a factor there aren't many monitors at all that cover all the features desired to make the most of next gen consoles and it doesn't look like that will change this year either. TVs also don't seem to include their best feature sets under 55", though last year's 48" LG CX seemed to be the exception. I saw the 2021 TVs are now listed as coming soon at most retailers and seeing 50" models in the more premium lines but I haven't really taken the time to go through them yet.
Yep - I am back on the new TV bandwagon as opposed to the monitor now.

I think the far majority of games I play will be 60fps so I assume a 60Hz TV is still an option for me which provides me with more options.

Clubs are trumps

All Australian
Mar 23, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
The 2021 models are starting to hit our shores. Samsung's lineup is on a few Aussie websites like Good Guys and Harvey Norman. LG's will next be released with Sony not far away.

I was basically sold on getting one of the 83" OLED's but I'm now reading about the quality you cam get from a 100" Laser projector. Decisions Decisions

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I was too slow grabbing a 65" Samsung TU8000 on clearance for my loungeroom TV so now have to grab an AU8000 when I see them at JB. New lounge arrives this week so that was terrible timing on my behalf. However I'll be grabbing this year's 55" LG OLED for my consoles. Once I experienced OLED when I got my C7 whenever that was I can't game on any other TV.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Looks like the Samsung's are about to drop any day now looking at JB. They still haven't listed the LG models even though a few have started to appear in overseas retailers. Hopefully some of the reviewers get their hands on them soon as I wanted to see if the C1 will worth while over the entry level A1 and B1 just for gaming (the Evo panel on the G1 sounds nice but I'll only be gaming on it).

Looks like I've got a few months until everything is out and I have to update this thread lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies for spamming this thread, but you are all a wealth of knowledge. Consider it charity as your are helping out a pleb.

Im now leaning towards an 'interim' pretty good monitor that I can use with the PS5 and WFH office for the next year or two before we eventually get a new TV. As such, the monitor doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles with a 2.1 hdmi port etc, but be good enough to do the job for the PS5 for a little while. As such, it doesn't need to fully 'future proof' me moving forward as the new TV will do that.

In this instance, do you recommend I focus on 4K/60Hz or 1080p/144Hz monitor?

For example, there could be this 4k at 60Hz or this 1080p/144Hz (both LG, just for comparison purposes)

I am assuming based on what drd23 noted above, it's better to go with the 1080/144 purely for the refresh rate.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
120hz and up is noticeably smoother and easier to achieve at 1080p than 60hz is at 4k. I still doubt the ability of the consoles to push many games past 4k 60 anyway, even with upscaling. It might be subjective so you might have to see for yourself first, but I personally find 1080p too cramped these days and I prefer the screen real estate. I'm also a graphics whore and on PC will usually keep turning features on as long as I can maintain a 60fps minimum. I'd probably lean towards to a 4k 60 monitor if it were for console gaming. It would have to be a minimum 32" though as I find the dpi of 4k at 27" too fine.

I haven't gone through the 4k monitor range for a while, but I did see this 1080p gaming monitor video pop up the other day which might interest you. I haven't watched it myself but they're usually pretty good

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Just noticed some Gigabyte monitors launching in May. FV43U is a 43" 4k/144hz monitor with HDMI 2.1 and HDR1000 certified. However it looks like it's 8bit+FRC so not true 10bit and is a VA panel. Also comes in at the eye watering $1500USD so a TV is again better value for gaming. There is also 32" and 48" versions both with HDMI 2.1. The LG CX 48" is probably still a better option than the the 48" monitor.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Samsung's 2021 line has launched and JBs are still setting them up for display. Other retailers might already have done so but my local only had a few up. I grabbed the new 65" Q60A for my loungeroom which is just for watching TV and stuff and not gaming. I'll wait until I do more research and update the thread with all the brands when they're out, but for next gen gaming on a Samsung I think anyone be looking at a Q70 minimum for 120hz and HDMI 2.1. The top of their budget line (xx8000) was usually the sweet spot for console gaming specs but at a glance this year's AU8000 just looks like a poor man's Q60A, and I wouldn't even recommend that Q60A if anyone was looking to make the most of next gen consoles. I'm still waiting for the new LG OLEDs just personally.

I paid for same day delivery so my Q60A should be here before 6pm so I'll probably just give my 2c on it for general purposes anyway 😛. I've never bothered for high end specs when it comes to my loungeroom TV. My missus is so tech illiterate that she can't tell the difference between any of them anyway, and all we use it for is Foxtel and steaming. I'm sure it will be some sort of upgrade from the NU8000 we were using.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Oof the C1 "55 is going to be a tough sell at $3295. Still the top of my preferences but not at over $3k. They had the 48" CX to flog on sale a few times so I'll see what happens while waiting for Sony and Hisense to drop. As awesome as OLED is it's just for my consoles, so it might be the year I pick up a Sony LED or just grab a Samsung QN85.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Been doing heaps of research on this year's Samsung and LG (mostly OLED) lines.

Quick update for now:
Samsung QN85A is an odd one. It's a VA ADS panel which behaves like an IPS panel. It has heaps of dimming zones so it doesn't glow or bleed like an IPS panel, but it's getting slammed by reviewers for blooming when viewing on an angle. If this is going to be your loungeroom TV where you might view from the side then take this into consideration, but if you always plan on sitting right in front then it's a completely non-issue. No Dolby Vision and only one HDMI 2.1 port, but the other ports will still do 4k 60 at full 4:4:4 chroma, and Dolby Vision content is still almost non existent. The QN90A is a traditional VA panel so no blooming issues, but still only a single HDMI 2.1 port and you're hitting OLED pricing. I see there is a 50" QN90A coming soon but will need to wait for reviews to see if it's the same. Could be the good value pick for a dedicated gaming TV. Otherwise the QN85A is actually fine.

LG C1. The CX is currently being discounted and the C1 is using the same panel (so I can find). The LG G1 is the real upgrade but it's going to be an absolute premium. I'd honestly try and get your hands on a CX right now if you're looking to upgrade. I'm going to cross my fingers there might be some still around in a few weeks as I just burnt a massive hole in the credit card last week upgrading my loungeroom. If they're gone by then I think I'll keep my eye on the QN85A. Though there is really nothing wrong with my LG C7, just with some now outdated technology, but it's perfectly fine for 4k 60 HDR gaming which I guess is all anything is right now.

Jul 12, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Been doing heaps of research on this year's Samsung and LG (mostly OLED) lines.

Quick update for now:
Samsung QN85A is an odd one. It's a VA ADS panel which behaves like an IPS panel. It has heaps of dimming zones so it doesn't glow or bleed like an IPS panel, but it's getting slammed by reviewers for blooming when viewing on an angle. If this is going to be your loungeroom TV where you might view from the side then take this into consideration, but if you always plan on sitting right in front then it's a completely non-issue. No Dolby Vision and only one HDMI 2.1 port, but the other ports will still do 4k 60 at full 4:4:4 chroma, and Dolby Vision content is still almost non existent. The QN90A is a traditional VA panel so no blooming issues, but still only a single HDMI 2.1 port and you're hitting OLED pricing. I see there is a 50" QN90A coming soon but will need to wait for reviews to see if it's the same. Could be the good value pick for a dedicated gaming TV. Otherwise the QN85A is actually fine.

LG C1. The CX is currently being discounted and the C1 is using the same panel (so I can find). The LG G1 is the real upgrade but it's going to be an absolute premium. I'd honestly try and get your hands on a CX right now if you're looking to upgrade. I'm going to cross my fingers there might be some still around in a few weeks as I just burnt a massive hole in the credit card last week upgrading my loungeroom. If they're gone by then I think I'll keep my eye on the QN85A. Though there is really nothing wrong with my LG C7, just with some now outdated technology, but it's perfectly fine for 4k 60 HDR gaming which I guess is all anything is right now.

Will prob pull trigger in next couple of months so appreciate you sharing the research

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Will prob pull trigger in next couple of months so appreciate you sharing the research

Hopefully the new models from Sony and Hisense appear soon. I'm expecting much of the same from Sony but Hisense's ULED range has been an increasingly good buy the last couple years.

RTings have a pretty good list already of what's coming out this year but being north American the model names and features usually slightly differ. It's a pretty good starting point for now though.

Clubs are trumps

All Australian
Mar 23, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
What size are looking at? I'm hoping to pick up an 83/85" TV late June. Still waiting on reviews for the Sony X95J, but almost every other 2021 TV has some feedback now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back