Multiplat Next Gen TV buying guide and cheat sheet v1.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I’am not too fussy, I would be happy with anything around 55-60 inch I guess.

Sorry, was going to get back to you last night but I completely forgot.

Is $2000 the absolute most? Because some of last year's models that are end of life and on sale are heaps better than some new models.

Sony X95H is a ripper. 55" currently $2195

The LG CX 55" was recently heavily discounted to low $2000s, but for some reason I'm just noticing it has gone back up to $3000 which is stupid because it's last year's model and end of life. It's on par with this year's LG C1 and an OLED, so you might be able to haggle for the previous discounted price.

You could wait for some other models to come out this year for HDMI 2.1, but that's not rolling out as wide spread as first thought so if you're happy with HDMI 2.0 then there are some bargains still of last year's models. For some reason this year's mid-high range prices are stupidly inflated. The main difference between HDMI 2.0 and 2.1 is the max refresh rate. 2.0 will happily do 4k 60hz, but won't be able to do 120hz. It's not something I would be too fussed over for PS5 gaming as 4k 60hz will be the max 95% of any new release game will be able to manage anyway. If I was going to wait and see what was coming out this year that is usually competitively priced I'd wait and see Hisense's 2021 range.

Hisense Q8 is a solid buy from last year

If you want something from this year that's solid bang for buck and don't mind skimping a few features (that you won't miss if you didn't know about them anyway) then go have a look at the Samsung AU8000. It starts at $1200 for the 55" and the 75" is $2000 if you wanted to treat yourself to something big.

Jul 11, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sorry, was going to get back to you last night but I completely forgot.

Is $2000 the absolute most? Because some of last year's models that are end of life and on sale are heaps better than some new models.

Sony X95H is a ripper. 55" currently $2195

The LG CX 55" was recently heavily discounted to low $2000s, but for some reason I'm just noticing it has gone back up to $3000 which is stupid because it's last year's model and end of life. It's on par with this year's LG C1 and an OLED, so you might be able to haggle for the previous discounted price.

You could wait for some other models to come out this year for HDMI 2.1, but that's not rolling out as wide spread as first thought so if you're happy with HDMI 2.0 then there are some bargains still of last year's models. For some reason this year's mid-high range prices are stupidly inflated. The main difference between HDMI 2.0 and 2.1 is the max refresh rate. 2.0 will happily do 4k 60hz, but won't be able to do 120hz. It's not something I would be too fussed over for PS5 gaming as 4k 60hz will be the max 95% of any new release game will be able to manage anyway. If I was going to wait and see what was coming out this year that is usually competitively priced I'd wait and see Hisense's 2021 range.

Hisense Q8 is a solid buy from last year

If you want something from this year that's solid bang for buck and don't mind skimping a few features (that you won't miss if you didn't know about them anyway) then go have a look at the Samsung AU8000. It starts at $1200 for the 55" and the 75" is $2000 if you wanted to treat yourself to something big.
Thank you so much for all that info and advice, I really appreciate it. I’d be happy to spend a little more if need be. For somebody that has no idea this thread is legendary. Cheers

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Really interesting info. It seems that no matter what anyone spends this year they won't be able to cover all features. To be honest, as long as your TV can support 4k 60 with HDR10 you're sweet to make the most of your next gen console. 4k 60 with Dolby Vision is nice, but as if any new AAA title is going to be 4k 120 anyway so it's irrelevant.

My Series X arrives on Monday so I look forward to see what my C7 is actually capable of from console's TV details page. It will make it easier to give anyone else a heads up on what to typically expect from HDMI 2.0 rather than the latest 2.1.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
LG C7 results. Wasn't aware it supported Dolby Vision lol. I really see no point upgrading this year given the limited HDMI 2.1 and general feature availability this year.

20210517_192543.jpg

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I think the Sony X90J is going to be a popular recommendation this year. Fantastic contrast and brightness, though I don't trust Sony in updating the firmware still yet. However JB have the coming soon page up and listing the 55" for only $2195 and the 65" $2695. I read in the comments that their Hisense reviews are coming soon as well.

Just bought an 85" one if these from JB based on this advice. $2995 free delivery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let us know how it goes.
All installed today. Looks great. Same issue as with my previous samsung though - fta audio will not go through the receiver. Very strange. Doesn't bother me too much as the only fta tv I watch is footy and I don't care about getting that in 5.1.

Just need a ps5 now.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I'll update the OP to a 2021 version soon, there's just a bit of a lag with a couple bands with their new models at the moment. So waiting on that as well as their reviews.

Here is an interesting watch for anyone looking at OLED for the first time and concerned about burn in. LG Electronics (the brand) are offering a 5 year warranty against burn in on their top models but can't get clarity of that extends to the more common C1 line. Nothing yet though from the other brands that use their panels (all made by LG Display).

If anyone wants some anecdotal information though, I've had my C7 since 2017 and all it is used for is gaming. I have zero burn in. During the "break in" period of the TV (roughly first 40 or so hours) I did experience some really noticeable image retention after a few heavy Destiny 2 sessions where my bottom left HUD seemed to have burnt in. Seeing as I was playing a solar warlock my orange ability icons and yellow power bar were the issue which makes sense as it has always been the Red subpixel that's the culprit in OLEDs. In the TV menu there is a "pixel refresh" feature that can be run after you've turned the TV off. I ran that and the image was fixed and I've never had another issue since. However, keep in mind that you watch a lot of sport that might be a bigger contributor to potential burn in that gaming due to screen elements like the score being on screen and static for long periods of time.

dwwaino hoping you can help me here. Have q70t TV and q70t sound bar. Soundbar plugged into earc port and ps5 in hdmi2. 1 port (port 4). With this set up my Soundbar doesn't receive any sound. Changing the TV settings to use the sound bar just results in silence. Only way I can get sound from Soundbar is if I put ps5 in earc port and the Soundbar elsewhere. Can I not set it up so ps5 is in port 4 for the hdmi 2.1 and the Soundbar is in earc?

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
dwwaino hoping you can help me here. Have q70t TV and q70t sound bar. Soundbar plugged into earc port and ps5 in hdmi2. 1 port (port 4). With this set up my Soundbar doesn't receive any sound. Changing the TV settings to use the sound bar just results in silence. Only way I can get sound from Soundbar is if I put ps5 in earc port and the Soundbar elsewhere. Can I not set it up so ps5 is in port 4 for the hdmi 2.1 and the Soundbar is in earc?

I have the Q800T soundbar which is similar so I might be able to help. I don't use the TV it's on for gaming but have Foxtel setup on it so it might be similar.

Is it only no sound when using the PS5 or no sound from any source at all? Also has it worked before? The soundbar should definitely be able to be permanently on the ARC port. Presuming the Q70T soundbar is like my Q800T you would then make the source of the soundbar eARC with the little source button on the remote. As long as the sound output of the TV is set to the soundbar then it should receive any audio being sent to the TV. Technically it shouldn't matter but also make sure HDMI-CEC is enabled in the TV settings (it might also be called Anytime+). On my Q60A that's under General -> External Device Manager. Mine has Q-Symphony where the soundbar and TV speaker sync up but it's a bit finicky sometimes so I've become somewhat of an expert with the settings and getting that working again. Mine likes to sometimes switch itself over to receiving audio from the TV via wifi and goes silent if I select eARC unless I perform the precise ritual of turning everything off and on again in the correct order and then touching the right settings.

Great. Now I've ****ed everything. Can't get sound out of the sound bar no matter what I try.

Edit: oh. Didn't see your reply above. I didn't * everything because of what you said lol.

Last edited:
I ended up turning the TV off unplugging everything and plugging everything in one by one. Soundbar in earc, ps5 in Port 4 and xbox in Port 2 and all is working. Thanks for your assistance.

Last edited:

gazzathegreat

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Has anyone here bought a new OLED in 2021? Ive seen the Sony A90J and LG G1 in stores in Perth now. I thought all the hype this year was brighter OLED's but they still seem a bit dim? Especially when you see an OLED directly alongside an LED playing teh same video. Does the OLED screen in a dark room blow you away? Like twice the $$ away?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back