Multiplat Next Gen TV buying guide and cheat sheet v1.0

Jun 10, 2016
WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Arsenal
Purchased the LG 55" CX OLED, got Harvey Norman to drop the price to $2850, saving $150 off the current sale price.

I was waiting on the 48", but since LG said it was coming in September and now that's come and gone, I couldn't pass up the above price despite not necessarily wanting the extra sized TV.

Can't wait to give it a whirl, picking it up tomorrow, likely to set it up on the weekend. Going to be epic with the PS5 and Series X gaming!
Nice!
Let us know how it goes.
I'm looking to get the 65" on Monday.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
DRLJqi1.png

Q95T able to do 4k @ 120hz with freesync(VRR)
This is a USA model so they have updated their firmware but the EU/Aus models should get the update soon with the fixed dimming issue.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
That x900 is shaping up to be a great option
We have x9000h in Australia. I think it's the same model but models can differ from USA and us.

I agree if it's exactly the same TV as USA it has VRR but not freesync or gsync, I think you can only enable 1 of the three at the same time anyway.

Will probably get the Sony x9000h if it's exactly the same TV as the USA

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
HDMI VRR is a new-ish generic version of adaptive sync that only TVs have.
FreeSync is the brand name for standard adaptive sync that AMD has pursued, and Nvidia GPUs from the 1000 series onwards now also support it
Gsync is Nvidia's proprietary version of adaptive sync, and only applies if you have an Nvidia GPU. If you aren't going to hook up your TV to a PC, then whether it has Gsync or not doesn't matter

According to this article:

XSX has both HDMI VRR and FreeSync, but will use FreeSync if it's connected to a display that supports that technology
PS5 specs aren't clear but suggest it has HDMI VRR. It presumably also supports FreeSync given the GPU is an AMD chip.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
We have x9000h in Australia. I think it's the same model but models can differ from USA and us.

I agree if it's exactly the same TV as USA it has VRR but not freesync or gsync, I think you can only enable 1 of the three at the same time anyway.

Will probably get the Sony x9000h if it's exactly the same TV as the USA

I think that's right. Overseas Sony models usually have one less zero in the name which can make it confusing when trying to find reviews. Like when Samsung 8000 here used to be the top of the line when 8000 overseas was the curved screen.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
X900H is leading the race for me now, Dolby vision and proper 2.1, sounds like VRR and freesync are basically the same thing.
Unless Q95T fixes it's firmware with the local dimming issue and adds DV I don't see the extra price and smaller screen is worth the trade off.

Sony AUS website.
a5b4ecd41006881ffc8e69223552cca8.jpg

Last edited:
Just the thread I need.
We are in the market now looking to buy in November, new tv and PS5. It has to be 75“ and it has to have a flat back to sit flush on the wall so these are the ones I’m looking at. Is the more expensive worth it are am I just paying for extra fetures I don’t need or really won’t notice, is 4K ok or definitely go to 8K? We’ve had an amazing Sharp Aquos for 10 years but it’s cooked and we wanna move to something really smicko, we keep our stuff till it busts and don’t upgrade for the hell of it.
Or is there something new and better around the corner we should wait for? Here’s the 3 we are looking at, would appreciate some advise from nerds. TIA.

1C9558D5-87CD-4347-A127-85DD483DBA19.png

5B2B5BA2-4CEC-48B1-BFAC-55BDBE204695.png

C6E1F951-C574-4434-BEA5-6CEFCF58A7F0.png

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Just the thread I need.
We are in the market now looking to buy in November, new tv and PS5. It has to be 75“ and it has to have a flat back to sit flush on the wall so these are the ones I’m looking at. Is the more expensive worth it are am I just paying for extra fetures I don’t need or really won’t notice, is 4K ok or definitely go to 8K? We’ve had an amazing Sharp Aquos for 10 years but it’s cooked and we wanna move to something really smicko, we keep our stuff till it busts and don’t upgrade for the hell of it.
Or is there something new and better around the corner we should wait for? Here’s the 3 we are looking at, would appreciate some advise from nerds. TIA.

View attachment 979344

View attachment 979345
View attachment 979346

4K is fine. 8K content is niche and won't be a mainstream thing in gaming any time soon.

4K is fine. 8K content is niche and won't be a mainstream thing in gaming any time soon.
Is there much difference in picture for just normal viewing? And will 8K become the norm anytime soon and 4K phased out. Like I said we only buy new stuff when its shites itself so I don’t wanna be on the back foot with new technology straight up.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Is there much difference in picture for just normal viewing? And will 8K become the norm anytime soon and 4K phased out. Like I said we only buy new stuff when its shites itself so I don’t wanna be on the back foot with new technology straight up.

Eeeehh hard to say as I don't want to make a definitive crystal ball call lol. I'm leaning towards 8k won't become standard for at least another generation if at all. We're well and truly into the 4K generation now but most TV is still 1080p with only streaming services and some pay tv channels in 4k. Gaming wise the next gen consoles won't be able to do 8k as it only seems to be viable right now on the a $3000 PC graphics card.

8k content is obviously going to have far greater fidelity but I just don't see the content available for it right now or in the next 2-3 years. I don't want to make a call for 5+ years down the track though. If you've got a budget for one though then you won't lose anything, I don't think they're worse than any super premium 4K models. I haven't gone over many with a fine tooth comb though so it would pay to just double check that if you're spending ~$6k it would have things like HDMI 2.1, proper HDR10 or Dolby Vision and even some sort of variable refresh rate for that price. Of course it will automatically just downscale to 4K when it needs as well so don't worry about anything like that.

Eeeehh hard to say as I don't want to make a definitive crystal ball call lol. I'm leaning towards 8k won't become standard for at least another generation if at all. We're well and truly into the 4K generation now but most TV is still 1080p with only streaming services and some pay tv channels in 4k. Gaming wise the next gen consoles won't be able to do 8k as it only seems to be viable right now on the a $3000 PC graphics card.

8k content is obviously going to have far greater fidelity but I just don't see the content available for it right now or in the next 2-3 years. I don't want to make a call for 5+ years down the track though. If you've got a budget for one though then you won't lose anything, I don't think they're worse than any super premium 4K models. I haven't gone over many with a fine tooth comb though so it would pay to just double check that if you're spending ~$6k it would have things like HDMI 2.1, proper HDR10 or Dolby Vision and even some sort of variable refresh rate for that price. Of course it will automatically just downscale to 4K when it needs as well so don't worry about anything like that.
I’m leaning towards the Q95T 4K it’s more my hubby that wants to go 8K, thanks for the info. Now they just need to bring out Spyro for the PS5 🤗

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
I'd argue 4k isn't even the norm yet unless you're either buying and watching UHD Blurays or paying for the premium package on the various streaming services like Netflix/Amazon Prime/Stan/Disney+.

AFAIK there's only a couple of 4k channels on Foxtel, while FTA tv isn't even true FHD/1080p, most YT channels don't offer 4k videos and I've never seen anything more than 1080p/60fps on streaming services like Twitch.

8k might be nice on a particularly big tv like you seem to be targeting purely because of pixel density, but I wouldn't expect to be watching native 8k content for a couple of years - and even then you'll likely have to specifically search it out (kinda like you do now for HDR content).

And that is before you start to consider whether what you are watching is the true resolution or has been upscaled at some point. I'm not even sure if an 8k camera exists yet

I'd argue 4k isn't even the norm yet unless you're either buying and watching UHD Blurays or paying for the premium package on the various streaming services like Netflix/Amazon Prime/Stan/Disney+.

AFAIK there's only a couple of 4k channels on Foxtel, while FTA tv isn't even true FHD/1080p, most YT channels don't offer 4k videos and I've never seen anything more than 1080p/60fps on streaming services like Twitch.

8k might be nice on a particularly big tv like you seem to be targeting purely because of pixel density, but I wouldn't expect to be watching native 8k content for a couple of years - and even then you'll likely have to specifically search it out (kinda like you do now for HDR content).

And that is before you start to consider whether what you are watching is the true resolution or has been upscaled at some point. I'm not even sure if an 8k camera exists yet
Yeah I think you guys have pretty much helped make up my mind that 8K probably isn’t worth it for now, seeing as we had our current tv for 10 years and it still had an amazing picture the 4K will be such a huge upgrade anyway we won’t be dissapointed. It has to be 75” due to where it’s going unless we need to rebuild recesses and re wallpaper etc which I don't wanna do, the 75 will sit flat on the wall, covering up the smaller recess and all the cords will go behind and out the side into a bookcase. All neat and hidden, smaller size will look weird and bigger too big.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah I think you guys have pretty much helped make up my mind that 8K probably isn’t worth it for now, seeing as we had our current tv for 10 years and it still had an amazing picture the 4K will be such a huge upgrade anyway we won’t be dissapointed. It has to be 75” due to where it’s going unless we need to rebuild recesses and re wallpaper etc which I don't wanna do, the 75 will sit flat on the wall, covering up the smaller recess and all the cords will go behind and out the side into a bookcase. All neat and hidden, smaller size will look weird and bigger too big.
I like the Q95T offers alot, I'm tossing up between a 65" Samsung with the 75" sony x900h.
Issue with the Samsung it needs firmware fixes (who knows if Samsung will do it), only 1 hdmi 2.1 port and it lacks DV.
If I'm spending 6k on a TV like you, I would want everything to future proof.
Samsung has dropped it's game the last few gens, I'm still using a 2012 Samsung TV and it's been good but I'm look at switching to a sony

I like the Q95T offers alot, I'm tossing up between a 65" Samsung with the 75" sony x900h.
Issue with the Samsung it needs firmware fixes (who knows if Samsung will do it), only 1 hdmi 2.1 port and it lacks DV.
If I'm spending 6k on a TV like you, I would want everything to future proof.
Samsung has dropped it's game the last few gens, I'm still using a 2012 Samsung TV and it's been good but I'm look at switching to a sony
When I went and had a browse (in a different life where shops were actually open and I could go further than 5 klm’s away) the Samsung was the only one that sat completely flat on the wall around all edges with the protrusion on the back fitting perfectly into the existing recess. Therefore it’s the only option really unless we renovate a whole wall..which I aint doing just to accomodate a tv.

HDMI 1.4HDMI 2.0HDMI 2.1
1080p 144hzNO HDR
1080p 120hz NO HDR*
1080p 60hz HDR
1080p 240hzNO HDR
1080p 144hzHDR
4k 60hzNO HDR*
4k 30hz HDR
4k 144hzHDR
4k 60hz Dolby Vision

-explained.html[/URL]
[/spoiler]
Maybe add in Dolby Atmos as a feature. Its the latest and greatest sound format and it requires HDMI 2.1 which is somewhat important to know. Most new TV’s this year only have one HDMI 2.1 input. Its another reason im choosing Sony X900H over the Samsung Q80T. Ill need a minimum of two HDMI 2.1 ports (one for the PS5, and the 2nd for a new soundbar).

Last edited:

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
Maybe add in Dolby Atmos as a feature. Its the latest and greatest sound format and it requires HDMI 2.1 which is somewhat important to know. Most new TV’s this year only have one HDMI 2.1 input. Its another reason im choosing Sony X900H over the Samsung Q80T. Ill need a minimum of two HDMI 2.1 ports (one for the PS5, and the 2nd for a new soundbar).
What soundbar you going to purchase?
I'm in the same situation, leaning towards the x900h.
Soundbar, sonos arc or bose 700 I'm looking at. Issue I have I don't have an iOS device to tune to sonos

What soundbar you going to purchase?
I'm in the same situation, leaning towards the x900h.
Soundbar, sonos arc or bose 700 I'm looking at. Issue I have I don't have an iOS device to tune to sonos
Soundbars im leaning towards the LG11SNRG. But i really want to go to a store and see how a few models sound from Samsung, Sony, JBL and Sonos.

Back