Multiplat Next Gen TV buying guide and cheat sheet v1.0

Anyone familiar with this sort of blue blotching issue? Attached photos are from Gears 5 and Little Nightmares on the Series X and an episode of The Expanse on the TV's Amazon app.

I did a factory reset yesterday which fixed it for about an hour before it started to appear again.

The TV is a Samsung Q80T 75 inch. I already had to replace it once due to horrible vertical banding, now I'm getting this on the replacement unit.

View attachment 1053585View attachment 1053586View attachment 1053587View attachment 1053588View attachment 1053592

Good luck for the battle ahead with Samsung.

If you can snag a refund go get the Sony.

Anyone familiar with this sort of blue blotching issue? Attached photos are from Gears 5 and Little Nightmares on the Series X and an episode of The Expanse on the TV's Amazon app.

I did a factory reset yesterday which fixed it for about an hour before it started to appear again.

The TV is a Samsung Q80T 75 inch. I already had to replace it once due to horrible vertical banding, now I'm getting this on the replacement unit.

View attachment 1053585View attachment 1053586View attachment 1053587View attachment 1053588View attachment 1053592

As people have said, basically any LED TV will have this to a certain extent. For most though it's not noticeable unless you have an almost entirely black screen. I have two new 4k TVs, one 55" and one 70" and you can see a little but not crazy.

It's also something that can be noticed if you have a moving image with a fairly constant background colour, e.g. sports with a green ground behind. It gives you the so-called "dirty screen effect".

Yours is just a much higher level than it should be. That should definitely be returnable! Sorry you've had such tough luck. Maybe try a different model? Nothing is perfect though unfortunately.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Just wanted to check in on this thread, and find out if much has changed in terms of what I should be getting.
I’am happy to spend between $1,500-2k I mainly want this for sports and playing my ps5.

At this stage, if you're not desperate then hold off until the 2021 lines launch. It will become much easier as just about every mid to high model seems to be shipping with HDMI. There will be a few other things that will vary and I'll update the thread then but holding off for now would be worth it imo. It should be any month now they start coming out.

Mar 26, 2012
Block 123
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, FC St. Pauli
Just wanted to check in on this thread, and find out if much has changed in terms of what I should be getting.
I’am happy to spend between $1,500-2k I mainly want this for sports and playing my ps5.
LG OLEDs are about to reach end of current cycle, could find a bargain on a CX

This is the crappy "Dirty Screen Effect" I am dealing with now. There is a prominent dark spot on the bottom right. There are also some lighter spots similar to the previous poster (but not visible in this image)

1615824775715.png

Tomorrow I have Samsung techs coming out to replace the entire panel, after already replacing both circuit boards a previous time...

An absolute lemon of a TV. Apparently after two completed tickets they'll completely replace the TV. I asked them to do this already since that'd surely be cheaper than replacing the panel (they agreed) but it's policy...

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
This is the crappy "Dirty Screen Effect" I am dealing with now. There is a prominent dark spot on the bottom right. There are also some lighter spots similar to the previous poster (but not visible in this image)

View attachment 1077999

Tomorrow I have Samsung techs coming out to replace the entire panel, after already replacing both circuit boards a previous time...

An absolute lemon of a TV. Apparently after two completed tickets they'll completely replace the TV. I asked them to do this already since that'd surely be cheaper than replacing the panel (they agreed) but it's policy...
That sucks dude, I would be so pissed off too.

I've been always a Samsung person but when I was researching new TVs it felt they have completely dropped the ball and rely on their name now from previous good quality. Like landcruisers sell well from previous generation models.

Owning a sony x900h now, I'm really happy with it. I have no issues that people are reporting. Supposedly their is a blur at 4k/120hz but I haven't played a game for those specs.

Screen quality is really good, very faint DSE in the corners which are barely noticeable in normal viewing.

That sucks dude, I would be so pissed off too.

I've been always a Samsung person but when I was researching new TVs it felt they have completely dropped the ball and rely on their name now from previous good quality. Like landcruisers sell well from previous generation models.

Owning a sony x900h now, I'm really happy with it. I have no issues that people are reporting. Supposedly their is a blur at 4k/120hz but I haven't played a game for those specs.

Screen quality is really good, very faint DSE in the corners which are barely noticeable in normal viewing.

I have a Sony upstairs that has been great. I agree r.e. Samsung. I believe there was a reason why this 70" TV was so cheap for the price...

View attachment 1077999

Oh boy, looks like you're having the exact runaround I did.

Oh boy, looks like you're having the exact runaround I did.

The only difference is that Walmart already refunded me for the cost of the TV... so at least it's a runaround with a "free" TV.

Let's see tomorrow. If there are any problems after tomorrow I should be able to get a new replacement, and it should be a new model since this one is ~ 2018.

One thing though is that this is a 70" which is not a normal size and not many are made of it. MAYBE I could use that to argue my way to a 75".... or maybe a 65" but a better one like a QLED...

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Once Samsung focused on the QLED lines the original series really went to s**t (I think the line is called Crystal now?). We have a new lounge arriving next month and are getting all new furniture for the loungeroom including a TV. I'll probably still get a TU8000 65" for there as it won't be for gaming, just for general watching. No way I'd get one for gaming. I got an NU8000 a few years back for my consoles and I really wasn't happy with it so moved that to my loungeroom and is our current TV while I moved the LG C7 back to my consoles. Will likely get an LG 2021 OLED again for my PS5 this year.

Once Samsung focused on the QLED lines the original series really went to sh*t (I think the line is called Crystal now?). We have a new lounge arriving next month and are getting all new furniture for the loungeroom including a TV. I'll probably still get a TU8000 65" for there as it won't be for gaming, just for general watching. No way I'd get one for gaming. I got an NU8000 a few years back for my consoles and I really wasn't happy with it so moved that to my loungeroom and is our current TV while I moved the LG C7 back to my consoles. Will likely get an LG 2021 OLED again for my PS5 this year.

Yeah this sounds smart!

From day 1 this guy (NU6900) had HDMI connection issues and some mediocre backlighting consistency. It was only once I got the next gen consoles did the HDMI issues become really problematic (struggling with 4k HDR) and also this black spot really popped up.

So today they came out to replace the entire panel (which is stupid since that's basically the entire cost of the TV + labor but okay...)

1615909988344.png

.... lovely job Samsung

So they then had to waste more of everyone's time by re-assembling the existing panel (that at least works better than above).

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
So today they came out to replace the entire panel (which is stupid since that's basically the entire cost of the TV + labor but okay...)

View attachment 1078712

.... lovely job Samsung

So they then had to waste more of everyone's time by re-assembling the existing panel (that at least works better than above).

Nailed it. Lol

Pounce

Club Legend
Dec 8, 2012
Tasmania
AFL Club
Richmond
Anyone have any recommendations on a 40" or 43" TV they would recommend that will be mainly used for gaming via a PS5?

My 4K Hisense TV I have had since 2016 has randomly started turning itself off. Tried a few different things but haven't been able to fix it. Good excuse to upgrade.

Any point to waiting for the new 2021 TV's? Looks like there won't be much around the 40" size range so maybe I should be looking to pick-up a good deal on a 2020 TV?

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Anyone have any recommendations on a 40" or 43" TV they would recommend that will be mainly used for gaming via a PS5?

My 4K Hisense TV I have had since 2016 has randomly started turning itself off. Tried a few different things but haven't been able to fix it. Good excuse to upgrade.

Any point to waiting for the new 2021 TV's? Looks like there won't be much around the 40" size range so maybe I should be looking to pick-up a good deal on a 2020 TV?

Would the LG CX 48" be too big?

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Might be okay.

You would recommend it?

Best TV available when the new consoles launched IMO. Most 2021 TVs should have all if not most of the desired features for the new consoles but usually they only appear on 55" and up. That's why the LG CX was also pretty well sought after because there was a 48" option. Being last year's model it should surely start appearing on clearance sales soon.

Back