Multiplat Next Gen TV buying guide and cheat sheet v1.0

Remove this Banner Ad

What size are looking at? I'm hoping to pick up an 83/85" TV late June. Still waiting on reviews for the Sony X95J, but almost every other 2021 TV has some feedback now.

65 most likely, maybe 75, but my theatre room isn't that big. Last time I looked at suggested viewing distances, 65 was pretty much spot on

The Sony X95J looks like it's only going to come in larger models (65 and up), and I'm only after a 55 for my gaming area. Still waiting for local pricing and more reviews but going by this brief X90J overview, the X90J and X95J might just be the LED picks of this gen. Two HDMI 2.1 ports, Dolby Vision, though VRR is still tipped to come later (presumably when the PS5 rolls out an update to support it).

After much deliberation I think I'm moving away from an OLED as my gaming TV. While the inky blacks and zero blooming are amazing, there are some games where I had to turn HDR off because of black crush. I think for movies in a dark room OLED would still be unmatchable, but for gaming I just want something bright and colourful where HDR pops. Games just aren't that dark. I have a preference of IPS panels for PC monitors due to brightness and colours, but for a gaming TV I'm going to look for a good VA panel with good local dimming, minimal blooming and bright HDR.

Dolby Vision is being more adopted as the HDR standard on steaming services so for a multi use TV I think that should be a must for anyone. Side by side there isn't a lot of visible difference between standard HDR and Dolby Vision (at least to my eyes) and I doubt games that eventually support DV will ever exclude HDR. So for a purely gaming TV then lack of DV support shouldn't really matter as long as it has HDR, but if you plan on using it for other content it may be something to consider which unfortunately will rule out Samsung. For me the QN85A and QN90A are still my current live options (pricing is hard to digest, but leaning towards to 90A over 85A now purely due to the panel type). However should the Sony X90J reviews look good once more start coming out from places like RTings and HDTV I'm pretty sure that's what I'll get considering it's going to be a lot cheaper than the Samsung Neo QLEDs.

Do you know if Australia is getting the QN95A? That's the model with 2 HDMI 2.1 ports for Samsung. There's been a lot of positive reviews about the qn90a lately.

Otherwise I also think I'm off the OLED train. Both LG and Sony have made very minimal advances on last year's oled models so paying the premium isn't worth it and I don't want to wait until November.

My choice is now between the QN95A if we get it and the X95J.

Do you know if Australia is getting the QN95A? That's the model with 2 HDMI 2.1 ports for Samsung. There's been a lot of positive reviews about the qn90a lately.

Otherwise I also think I'm off the OLED train. Both LG and Sony have made very minimal advances on last year's oled models so paying the premium isn't worth it and I don't want to wait until November.

My choice is now between the QN95A if we get it and the X95J.

According to Vincent on HDTV the QN95A is Europe only. I think the only real discernable difference between the 95A and 90A is the one connect box with 4 HDMI 2.1 ports. It's a bummer the other models only have one. Even down the track when I get a Series X to go along with my PS5 I won't have any issue using one on a 2.0 port as the majority of games are going to be only 4k 60hz anyway.

I actually really like the QN85A from what I've seen. However I'm really susceptible to blooming and eye strain which is why I went to an OLED. However I want something brighter and specular highlights that "pop" more. That's why I think I'm leaning to the QN90A despite the price. I won't be doing any streaming on it so lack of Dolby Vision won't be a factor. I just need to wait for the Sony J line to launch and be reviewed. If the X90J anything like the X90H I'll really consider it, but I'm still concerned that there isn't an ETA on their VRR update. Sony could be liable for a massive ACCC action should they not at least provide an update on when it's coming for last year's models. Given the PS5 doesn't yet support VRR (again coming in a future update) it's not a big deal for me now.

QN90A side by side with last year's Q90T. The comparison is 65" Q90T vs 55" QN90A, and Samsung's dimming zones are typically tied to screen size (this year at least, not 100% sure about last year) so that should be taken into consideration here.

I really like the colours and contrast of the QN90A more. The shot of the night sky is an interesting and subjective point. It could be argued that the Q90T looks better because you can see more stars. However that's due to not as good local dimming and would come down to personal preference over panel types.

Good feedback about the VRR on the QN90A. As a long time user of Gsync on PC that's something important to me, especially if I plan on getting a Series X some time soon. Not as much of a big deal yet for PS5 but that could be the single thing that swings me from the X90J (pending reviews).

Rtings.com did a review of the LG C1 and it seems worse than the CX. Weird. I really hope the X95J comes through with the goods. Don't want to stump up for an 83" A90j

Rtings.com did a review of the LG C1 and it seems worse than the CX. Weird. I really hope the X95J comes through with the goods. Don't want to stump up for an 83" A90j

I wasn't aware of the deteriorating quality in the LG OLED panels over the last couple years. My C7 is flawless as far as I can tell but Whirlpool and AV Forums are littered with shoddy panels over the past two years. As good as the CX is it seems like a lottery. I guess Sony is the only way to guarantee a good OLED but they pay LG for the better quality ones so that is passed on to the buyer.

The X90J is on sale in the States and I'm shocked at the lack of professional reviews. Sounds like the X95J will be in the next 4-6 weeks so hopefully you find out then. I'm interested to see how Sony stacks against Samsung Neo QLED as Sony aren't opting for micro LED in their LCDs, so there will be less dimming zones and it will be interesting to see if the contrast stacks up. I'm erring towards the X90J slightly as it's only for gaming, but I'm concerned that Sony may never roll out the promised VRR update. That's why I'm still giving the QN85A and QN90A serious consideration regardless of their stupid price

Hisense might be one to really look at. The only thing really missing from their 2020 ULEDs was VRR but apparently they'll have that this year. They'll come in at the best price too and will probably sell well considering Samsung have gone for the ultra premium price range. I'll definitely keep on top of those and get them up here as they launch for anyone interested, though they'll be a brand I'll be personally avoiding for my own reasons. I won't do anything to dissuade anyone else from doing so though.

X90J review apparently up for RTings insiders. From the snippets on Reddit it's slightly improved from the H in most areas. Apparently the new processor means they have rectified a blurring issue the H has/had with 120hz. One thing I didn't realise though was it can't do 4k 120hz in dolby vision, in fact not many TVs can at all as while they're all adopting HDMI 2.1 they're still rolling out with the 40gbps bandwidth rather than the 48 or whatever it is that's needed. It can do it in regular HDR though. While I don't really expect any AAA game to be able to do 4k 120 on either console unless some sort of DLSS like upscaling comes along, it was more trying to see how far I could future proof a gaming TV. I think I might swing back to the Samsung's in that case and spend the premium despite the lack of Dolby Vision, rather than an almost-there Sony that doesn't even have an ETA on some features like VRR. It's unfortunate the X95J won't be coming in 55".

83" LG C1 on the website is over 12.5k Aussie dollars. The 83" Sony A90j gonna be 15k on release isn't it?

Not sure if you've caught this by now, but Vincent has released this morning a review with more info than anyone really needs on the A90J lol. This thing looks like the absolute top dog and I'm glad it's not on my shopping list because I don't want to see what the AUD retail price will be....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nabbed a 48CX at JB for $2000, my store just had like 7 of them out back.

The perfect gaming TV

Being end of life they're priced awesomely at the moment and super tempting. They actually cover more bases than most 2021 models. I've been inches from pulling the trigger on a 55" a few times recently. Let us know how it goes over time, the panel quality, if you notice any banding or anything. Mainly because LG's OLED quality have been allegedly been on the decline the last couple years but I'd rather know from actual owners.

Seeing as the only things my 55" LG C7 can't cover is 4k 120 and VRR being HDMI 2.0 I'm kind of considering just holding it for another 12 months or waiting to see discounts on this year's models around black friday sales (which is when in 2017 I picked up my C7 for $1800) and treat myself to the Samsung G9 monitor for my PC instead.

Decisions decisions 🤔

Been trying to find a 77" CX but they seem to be rare as hen's teeth. Can get the 65" CX for $3300, or I've also been offered a 77" C1 for $7200. Keen for 77", but not sure if I'm keen to pay double.
You can get the 77" CX for $6800 before bargaining. I'm very tempted but really want 83" minimum.

The LG C1 looks like all of them will get the brighter Evo panels the year wears on. As for A90j 83" the Oz price tag will be disgusting and even during November it won't drop below 12k.

Being end of life they're priced awesomely at the moment and super tempting. They actually cover more bases than most 2021 models. I've been inches from pulling the trigger on a 55" a few times recently. Let us know how it goes over time, the panel quality, if you notice any banding or anything. Mainly because LG's OLED quality have been allegedly been on the decline the last couple years but I'd rather know from actual owners.

Seeing as the only things my 55" LG C7 can't cover is 4k 120 and VRR being HDMI 2.0 I'm kind of considering just holding it for another 12 months or waiting to see discounts on this year's models around black friday sales (which is when in 2017 I picked up my C7 for $1800) and treat myself to the Samsung G9 monitor for my PC instead.

Decisions decisions 🤔
Yep will do! Has been great so far

I have a 55 C9 which as the main viewing/cinema TV in the house and it's been amazing however it had a weird flickering thing when trying to use xbox at 4k/120. The CX has no problems with this, the picture is flawless so far.

Only annoying thing at this point is the bitstream out from the xbox has slight lag through eArc and my current receiver only allows 4k60 with no VRR (as far as I'm aware, so have to balance the trade off there.

Yep will do! Has been great so far

I have a 55 C9 which as the main viewing/cinema TV in the house and it's been amazing however it had a weird flickering thing when trying to use xbox at 4k/120. The CX has no problems with this, the picture is flawless so far.

Only annoying thing at this point is the bitstream out from the xbox has slight lag through eArc and my current receiver only allows 4k60 with no VRR (as far as I'm aware, so have to balance the trade off there.

Quite a few TVs are reporting issues with 4k 120 anyway so maybe it's just the panel technologies in general. As much as the Sony A90J looks to be the best in class even Vincent from HDTV reported some issues with the 4k 120. To be honest though I don't think it will be an issue for any of us unless anyone wants to use it as a PC gaming monitor. I can't see any console game this gen do 4k 120. So as long as 4k 60 with HDR or Dolby Vision work flawlessly then I don't think anyone will be missing out in anything. Lots of these 2021 models seem to be only using 40gbps HDMI 2.1 as well so upgrades might not be so much of an upgrade after all.

X90J review on RTings is a bit meh. And Vincent on HDTV reckons there is a chance both this year and last year's X90 will never get VRR due to the choice of processor. Haven't actually seen the Aussie pricing but some are saying it will be pushing $3k for the 55" which is absurd considering it's really a mid range TV and it doesn't have nano LED technology like the competitors in that price range. Too bad the X95J won't be in 55".

So the X90J is overpriced and incomplete. Samsung are pricing their Neo QLEDs like OLEDs which is arrogant and they lack Dolby Vision. It may be up to Hisense to come in as the LED saviour.

This year's line up is actually a little deflating. I'm going to hold onto my C7.

I was hoping when the X95j finally gets released that it will get some positive reviews. There's still hope. From memory the x900h initially didn't get amazing feedback early on upon release.

walked into JB HI FI and saw the Samsung QN85A and damn it looked beautiful. The colours really popped in comparison to the other LCD's it was next to, and i kept walking between it and the LG CX to see what image i preferred. Whats more its available in 85" now and its so tempting to pull the trigger. Still want to see the Sony X95J and Sony A90j in person so i dont have buyers remorse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back