List Mgmt. Next Generation Academy List

Remove this Banner Ad

NGA rules have been changed. SA and WA teams will get priority access to indigenous talent from their respective states (zones split between each team) that are bid on after Pick 40. Won't come into effect until 2020.

This is fantastic news for us, since it indicates that not only is the AFL only going to bring about change with a years notice, but also that no other changes are likely to occur for the 2020 draft. This means Ugle-Hagan should almost certainly be ours next year!

I am not so sure. The AFL website article states:

"The AFL has been working on tweaks to the NGA system for close to a year, with changes expected to be detailed to clubs imminently."

"Former Carlton great and football manager Andrew McKay has been leading a review of the NGA system, with criteria expected to be stricter before a club gets access to top talents at the draft."

So it looks like we are soon to find out what other changes are to be made to the NGA system. And if the WA and SA changes are anything to go by, could we see a similar system implemented by where we can only access NGA talent from pick 40 onward?

Also it looks like whatever NGA changes the AFL makes will be implemented in 2020, does that mean the Jamara draft will be included? Or after?
I have a bad feeling about this.
It doesn't help my apprehension that Andrew Mckay is leading the NGA review, I'm sure he would love nothing more than to have access to Jamara and any other top 5 talent since he knows Carlton will be garbage and picking early in the draft for the foreseeable future.

NGA rules have been changed. SA and WA teams will get priority access to indigenous talent from their respective states (zones split between each team) that are bid on after Pick 40. Won't come into effect until 2020.

This is fantastic news for us, since it indicates that not only is the AFL only going to bring about change with a years notice, but also that no other changes are likely to occur for the 2020 draft. This means Ugle-Hagan should almost certainly be ours next year!
I’m sure there’s more to come. If they only get priority after pick 40 I would have thought that will be extended to all zones.

I am not so sure. The AFL website article states:

"The AFL has been working on tweaks to the NGA system for close to a year, with changes expected to be detailed to clubs imminently."

"Former Carlton great and football manager Andrew McKay has been leading a review of the NGA system, with criteria expected to be stricter before a club gets access to top talents at the draft."

So it looks like we are soon to find out what other changes are to be made to the NGA system. And if the WA and SA changes are anything to go by, could we see a similar system implemented by where we can only access NGA talent from pick 40 onward?

Also it looks like whatever NGA changes the AFL makes will be implemented in 2020, does that mean the Jamara draft will be included? Or after?
I have a bad feeling about this.
It doesn't help my apprehension that Andrew Mckay is leading the NGA review, I'm sure he would love nothing more than to have access to Jamara and any other top 5 talent since he knows Carlton will be garbage and picking early in the draft for the foreseeable future.
That's how I took it aswell.

I wouldn’t be popping the champagne bottles just yet from the story on the AFL site. Sounds to me like the WA, SA changes have been fed to the media already but there will be other likely tweaks to the system that will be made known to clubs soon.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It still sounds like we’ll have access, it just may cost more.
Am I reading it right in saying that ?

It still sounds like we’ll have access, it just may cost more.
Am I reading it right in saying that ?

Yeah potentially - particularly given the line stating that criteria will be stricter before clubs get access to top talent at the draft. Personally I’d lean towards the changes being “tweaks” rather than more significant changes, purely on the basis that the media would be all over it if they had an inkling that something big was coming. Fingers crossed!

Limiting NGA access to players after pick 40 seems I'll conceived. It will surely lead to clubs trying to hide players and slow their development to retain access and to lots of shady back room deals between clubs.

Yeah potentially - particularly given the line stating that criteria will be stricter before clubs get access to top talent at the draft. Personally I’d lean towards the changes being “tweaks” rather than more significant changes, purely on the basis that the media would be all over it if they had an inkling that something big was coming. Fingers crossed!

Having read it again, I’m even more confused than before.
I’m unsure how the current rules work so it doesn’t make a lot of sense.
If someone one could break it down for me, would be much appreciated.

Ben Hobbs and Josh Rentsch will have their Rebels debut this sunday
Both coming off strong Under 16's carnival games with Hobbs named in the Team of the Year

Jamarra will be rested

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Hobbs and Josh Rentsch will have their Rebels debut this sunday
Both coming off strong Under 16's carnival games with Hobbs named in the Team of the Year

Jamarra will be rested
That's impressive considering they are still 2 years off being drafted!

That's impressive considering they are still 2 years off being drafted!
Rebels tend to bring in younger players in the mid to late season
Jamarra played under 18's footy at 15 years old last year

Clubs were told it is likely Adelaide, Port Adelaide, West Coast and Fremantle will gain priority access to indigenous prospects in metropolitan regions after pick No.40 of the NAB AFL Draft.

The clubs have so far only had access to indigenous players living in rural and remote areas.

However, the players with multicultural backgrounds who fit the NGA criteria and live in metropolitan areas are available to be developed and selected in their states.

The move would allow more players to be included in the clubs' respective NGA programs.

If a rival club wanted to select the player before pick 40, they would get access to them under current rules as though the player is part of the open pool.

But clubs believe under the revised system, if a rival was keen on the player from pick No.40 onwards, they would have to go through the father-son and Academy bidding process.

For instance, using last year's draft as an example, Izak Rankine, who was pick No.3 from West Adelaide, and Ian 'Bobby' Hill, who was pick 23 from Perth, would not have qualified because the indigenous pair were selected before pick 40.

But if Hill had slipped past pick No.40, he would have been eligible to join one of the West Australian clubs as an NGA player (depending how the areas were split).

Full details are yet to be clarified to clubs, but the change is not expected to come into effect until 2020. The AFL is mindful of protecting the first two rounds of the draft from further compromise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back