List Mgmt. Next Generation Academy List

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Raak not being invited isnt much of an issue for me

Hes a lock down athletic defender that doesn't light the world on fire compared to a lot of other players

Dogs have already done all their testing last year
Might be a rookie pick if no other teams are interested. Probably not the worst place for a developing tall.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There are some other players who some rate highly but haven't been invited to the combine. Jackson Cardillo isn't on the list, nor is Isiah Winder.
Thought I read somewhere that lack of Winder was a typo, and he's actually going?

Cardillo a bit rough. Surprised Macpherson got an invite but Raak didn't, when I thought they'd be rated the other way around. Shows how little info we have been getting on these kids this year

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If our recruiters are confident there is a more talented kid available I’d be disappointed if we pass him over just to draft Raak because he’s part of our NGA. I see him being no better than Cordy IMO. A tweeter who’s unfortunately not big enough for the big bodies.

r0_0_5367_3578_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

r0_0_4972_3315_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Picture: Morgan Hancock

New proposal for mid-season draft
By Daniel Cherny
The AFL met with list managers today. As part of the meeting, the league has proposed an idea for next year's mid-season rookie draft, whereby players would be available to be taken at three separate junctures: after rounds 4, 8 and 12. If multiple clubs nominated the same player at any given window, the player would go to the lower-ranked club on the ladder.
The AFL is also cutting back its next generation academy concessions. From 2021, NGA picks can only be matched from picks 21 onwards, while from 2022 NGA picks can only be matched from picks 41 onwards.
Western Bulldogs NGA player Jamarra Ugle-Hagan will be selected early in this year's draft, with the Dogs able to match a bid for the young forward. They would not be able to match a bid so early in 2021 and 2022.

The AFL today met with all 18 Clubs as part of its briefing to open the AFL Trade Period which started today, Wednesday November 4.

As part of its meeting, the AFL provided an update on Next Generation Academy Concessions, the Pre-Season Supplementary Selection Period and the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft.

Next Generation Academy Concessions

From 2021, Next Generation Academies (NGAs) - targeting Indigenous and multicultural players - will be overseen by the AFL Talent Pathway program with support from AFL Clubs. As part of this change, the AFL Commission determined that the concession model for NGAs be revised to reflect this.

The following changes to the NGA concession model ahead of the 2021 and 2022 NAB AFL Drafts will be as follows:

• From 2021, nominated NGA prospects will only be eligible to be matched from Pick 21 in the NAB AFL Draft. All other players selected from Pick 41 onwards can be matched by their Club using their next available selection, while undrafted players are still eligible to pre-selected on the rookie list.
  • From 2022, nominated NGA prospects will only be eligible to be matched from Pick 41 onwards by their Club using their next available selection, while undrafted players are still eligible to pre-selected on the rookie list.
This model allows for elite talent to be available to all AFL Clubs while still ensuring late prospects can find their way onto an AFL list and continue their relationship with the respective Club that has been supporting them.

A summary of changes can be found in the table below:

RoundCurrent20212022
1st Round (Pick 1 – 20)20% discountNo accessNo access
2nd Round (Pick 21 – 40)197 points197 pointsNo access
3rd Round (Pick 41 - 60)197 pointsUse next available selectionUse next available selection
4th Round (Pick 61 +)197 pointsUse next available selectionUse next available selection
Rookie ListAny undrafted playerAny undrafted playerAny undrafted player

Good changes, broadly speaking, although I havent assessed the detail yet. The whole thing was a well-meaning schemozzle, influenced heavily by the AFL's desire to give the NSW and Qld clubs a leg-up but then to toss a bone to the tub-thumping VIC/SA/WA clubs who felt the Qld/NSW clubs were getting too much of an advantage.

Not sure if this will fully resolve that tension between competing demands but the recent free hits given to some clubs (including us) have been too random and too significant to ignore.

Vive l'egalisation!

Last edited:
Next gen Nallei-Jerring leaders
Cooper Craig-Peters talks about the impact of the Club's Nallei-Jerring Koori Youth Leadership program.
14 hrs ago
HERO_121120.jpg

Indigenous teenager Cooper Craig-Peters is no stranger to the Western Bulldogs.
He has been a Nallei-Jerring Koori Youth Leadership program participant in 2013, designer of the Bulldogs’ Sir Doug Nicholls Indigenous Round guernsey in 2018, and a member of the Club’s Next Generation Academy.
This year, he has decided to give back to the Nallei-Jerring program that taught him so much.
Returning as a facilitator, Craig-Peters says the program was a great way to meet other Indigenous youth, and hopes to act as a mentor figure to those in the program now.
“Thinking back to when I was a participant, I would have wanted someone who was a past participant in the program to mentor me as a younger adult and give me some tips as I get older,” Craig-Peters said.
“It is good to have that person closer in age; it makes the connection stronger.
“I gained a lot of confidence in speaking in front of big groups and becoming a leader, improving my knowledge of culture and my ancestors.
“I hope that me being a facilitator helps the participants gain confidence in public speaking, and being proud of what you say and where you come from.”
For the first time in the program’s eight-year history it is being delivered online, working with 30 young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people through Zoom sessions conducted remotely from Ballarat.
A Ballarat resident himself, Craig-Peters said he was excited to see Ballarat’s Indigenous youth be given the opportunity to network with other teenagers and connect with their culture.
“I’m really proud to see Ballarat young people be a part of the program for the first time, and start to build a network in the local community as well as across Victoria,” the Yorta Yorta-Wurundjeri teen said.
“Melbourne-based young people get more opportunities to connect to their Aboriginal culture, gaining more sense of their ancestors, so it’s great for young people from Ballarat get the same opportunities.”
Facilitated by the Western Bulldogs Community Foundation, the Nallei-Jerring program is open to males and females aged 13-15 living in Victoria’s west.
The free program aims to help build connections and strengthen self-understandings of culture and identity by providing participants with a range of life, cultural and sport experiences, while also offering theory-based activities designed to enhance leadership, teamwork, resilience and a connection to the community.

SYDNEY, Collingwood, Port Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs are among the clubs who have been given a boost by a rule change on the eve of the NAB AFL Draft.

Clubs have been informed that a significant change has been applied to this year's bidding system in light of the reduction in list sizes and the trading of future picks last year.

INDICATIVE DRAFT ORDER Your club's picks as they stand

Under normal AFL rules, clubs who are matching bids for northern Academy, Next Generation Academy and father-son players are only allowed to use draft points from the amount of picks that is equal to the number of their available list spots.

This has been to stop clubs from stockpiling late draft picks with the intention of only using them to pay for highly rated draftees, even if they had more picks at the draft than they had list spots available, which was an early loophole of the live bidding system.

But clubs will not be bound by that rule at next month's national draft after the League gave clearance for clubs to use points from draft picks even if they are not going to use the selections to draft players.

In essence it means that the Swans, who will be forced to match bids for Academy pair Braeden Campbell and Errol Gulden, could theoretically take six picks to the draft but only pick up three players, but use the remaining selections for points purposes.

Although a subtle tweak, it is an important change in a draft year that is so heavily filtered with players already tied to clubs via Academies and under father-son links.

It will also benefit the Western Bulldogs, who have grabbed a number of extra selections to be able to pay for a possible No.1 matched bid for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, as well as the Power, who hold six picks and have ties to NGA talent Lachie Jones and father-son Taj Schofield.

Where in previous years the Power would have only been able to use points from the picks commensurate to how many list spots the club had available, this year they could essentially grab their two linked players and use the rest of their draft hand to help cover the points cost.

The Magpies, with speedy tall midfielder Reef McInnes, and Hawthorn, with line-breaker Connor Downie, are other clubs with Academy ties who will be waiting to see where bids fall, while Fremantle (Joel Western, Brandon Walker), Brisbane (Blake Coleman, Carter Michael) and Essendon (Cody Brand, Josh Eyre) are others clubs who also have their eyes on Academy players.

The AFL will revert to its usual rule next year, having allowed the clubs a one-off change given some had prepared for matching bids by already trading out future selections during last year's exchange period.

It informed clubs last week that lists will be cut to a minimum of 37 players and a maximum of 44 players, inclusive of rookies (category A and B).

Speaking on SEN Mornings, Western Bulldogs National Recruiting Manager Dom Milesi said he believes the academies have been good for the competition as a whole.

“I understand where the AFL are coming from in terms of wanting to preserve the draft, particularly at the top end,” Milesi said.

“But I think at the same time the Next Generation Academies have done a lot of really good work, not just with the Bulldogs, but across the competition.

“I think we’ve still got to try and promote those avenues for players from different backgrounds to give them more opportunities, so I think it’s about striking that balance going forward where we’re still giving those players that are new to the sport an opportunity to get into the system.”

Milesi added that the club will continue to give next-gen prospects an opportunity at AFL level, regardless if they end up at the Bulldogs or not.

He said they want to continue to invest in their designated area and give youngsters an opportunity to get on an AFL list.

“I can’t speak for every other club, but I know from our point of view we’re still very keen to invest in our regions with both the Rebels and the Western Jets,” Milesi said.

“I think we’ll still invest. To me, it’s all about giving players the chance and they might not up at your club, but hopefully they still go on and have a good AFL career.

“But if they do end up at the Western Bulldogs, that’s a bonus as well.”

Roscoe_au

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Are there any 2021 draft ready candidates part of our NGA? Any stand outs?

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Are there any 2021 draft ready candidates part of our NGA? Any stand outs?
Unfortunately the club isn't releasing the names of NGA eligible players until they decide to nominate themselves.
There were a lot of players who have played for our NGA teams who aren't actually eligible. Hobbs and Molan this year are examples.

Via AFL Website

WESTERN BULLDOGS 2021 NGA Players
Cody Raak
Sam Chatfield
Siddharth Rajesh
Joshua Carlyle-Marks
Loris Bayly
Ethan Councillor
Kento Dobell
Blake Scott

Via AFL Website

WESTERN BULLDOGS 2021 NGA Players