List Mgmt. Next Generation Academy List

CountryDog5

Backseat Footballer
Oct 14, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He’d be behind all of Wood, Buku, Williams & Croz who’d be playing a similar role so I’m not stressed, at the time I thought it was silly to not have a free crack at him as a CatB at least though or delist Rourke/Hayes who just look miles off it.
I'm not thinking instant impact of course, but if he comes on I'd be picturing a backline of Daniel, Keath, Raak, Williams, Young / Gardner (or hopefully trade in) and Croz.

I'm picturing wood as retired in another season or two, and while Buku is showing promising signs Raak with the extra height and intercepting prowess could slot in nicely.

All hypotheticals obviously, but have 3 talls of 190something cm + would free up Williams and Croze to play an attacking style rather than relying on them in the air so much.

Just a thought anyway, I'd just be disappointed to see a free swing walk to someone else whilst we picked up 3 mid-forward types in McNeil, Scott and Bedendo instead.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

CountryDog5

Backseat Footballer
Oct 14, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m just hoping the club set a clear path for him when they didn’t pick him up. Hopefully he’s already decided he’s not going to the MSD and is just concentrating on getting a full years development with the support of the club.
That's my hope as well. Although it would be very tough for him to turn down a team if they were in his ear saying we'll pick you up mid season if you want it.

I did read a good point yesterday though, where the article said kids will be reluctant to nominate for the mid season draft as there isn't the guaranteed 2 year contract the national draft offers. It could turn some young guys away who'd rather take the punt on waiting until the end of the year for more security.

That's my hope as well. Although it would be very tough for him to turn down a team if they were in his ear saying we'll pick you up mid season if you want it.

I did read a good point yesterday though, where the article said kids will be reluctant to nominate for the mid season draft as there isn't the guaranteed 2 year contract the national draft offers. It could turn some young guys away who'd rather take the punt on waiting until the end of the year for more security.

Any kid who is starting to show form and attract interest and who believes in himself should nominate every chance he gets. You never know how things may change down the track (eg injury, list size reductions etc).

Chances don’t come along often and you need to seize them when they do.

But that’s just my view. I hope Cody sees it differently.

Oct 30, 2003
Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
At this early stage , it looks like we may have made a bad error in judgment not taking Cody raak

I am sure we will come out on top as Bevo has a better eye for talent. Scott was chosen ahead of Raak and Scott is really young at 26 so has plenty of years ahead to demonstrate he was the better choice. Scott could reach the heights of Mitch HC, Billy, Will, Roarke and Ryan so we are on a winner here. we do not need a Ridley type who is an amazing intercept defender. The ball does not get down there.

Hopefully Cody does not nominate for the mid season and puts the queue in the Raak, and we guarantee to pick him up in the draft

I am sure we will come out on top as Bevo has a better eye for talent. Scott was chosen ahead of Raak and Scott is really young at 26 so has plenty of years ahead to demonstrate he was the better choice. Scott could reach the heights of Mitch HC, Billy, Will, Roarke and Ryan so we are on a winner here. we do not need a Ridley type who is an amazing intercept defender. The ball does not get down there.

Hopefully Cody does not nominate for the mid season and puts the queue in the Raak, and we guarantee to pick him up in the draft
There could be a big queue for the Raak if he keeps getting 30+ possessions as an intercept defender.

He’d be behind all of Wood, Buku, Williams & Croz who’d be playing a similar role so I’m not stressed, at the time I thought it was silly to not have a free crack at him as a CatB at least though or delist Rourke/Hayes who just look miles off it.
Wood will be retired before Raak debuts, and with a team defence the one on one match ups change regularly. An inteceptor who uses the ball well will always be welcome on the list.

Hopefully Scott keeps developing, I'd love a quick forward to add to our list.

Is he playing for Footscray tonight?
Possibly. He's listed as one of a large squad of interchange players. To be finalised this evening (probably after the senior team is announced).

The players would have already travelled to Sydney though, so some airport lurker might have inside info.

Xmc08

Debutant
Apr 19, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
According to this Hawthorn board poster, the doggies have lost priority access to Raak because he was overlooked in his draft year. This would mean any club can access him with any pick in the next draft, and the dogs cannot match.

Yes, but where it’s different is that he’s been overlooked int he draft. The NGA discount no longer applicable. Anyone can take him.

Cody Raak will take part in the Colgate Young guns match on Saturday

Ewan Macpherson has also been named and is on the same team as him

Game at Werribee Oval 2:40pm

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Raak mentioned in a Herald Sun story I think. Saw a snippet and said he shouldn't go top 20, so Dogs get first access again. So obviously NGA isn't just a one year eligibility thing then.
So we could end up with Sam Darcy and Cody Raak this year. We are starting to make a habit of not taking many open draft kids.
2018 - Rhylee West F/S.
2020 - JUH
2021 - Sam Darcy? Cody Raak? and even Blake Scott is a possibility.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Raak mentioned in a Herald Sun story I think. Saw a snippet and said he shouldn't go top 20, so Dogs get first access again. So obviously NGA isn't just a one year eligibility thing then.
So we could end up with Sam Darcy and Cody Raak this year. We are starting to make a habit of not taking many open draft kids.
2018 - Rhylee West F/S.
2020 - JUH
2021 - Sam Darcy? Cody Raak? and even Bailey Scott is a possibility.
Bailey Scott already plays for North. I assume you mean Blake.

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
2018 - Rhylee West F/S.
2020 - JUH
2021 - Sam Darcy? Cody Raak? and even Bailey Scott is a possibility.
Forgive my ignorance but don’t the new NGA rules mean we only get access to them if they are bid on 40 or more?

Back