List Mgmt. Next Generation Academy/Northern Knights

Remove this Banner Ad

why is our Next Generation Academy such a small zone? Why do we not have a country area like every other club?
'Every other' club in Victoria has a TAC zone, but we have one of the key ones for metropolitan Melbourne. Remember, this academy is for first-generation Australians and Indigenous kids.

To be honest, we don't seem to be investing in it the way other clubs are, though I feel North and the SA & WA clubs do have a distinct advantage.

Last edited by a moderator:

why the apartheid separation?
It's because the WA elite indigenous talent from the Perth Metro Area is already going to the AFL and it's not the intention of the NGA system to lock them in to WA teams at a discount.

It has created a storm over here though because community elders aren't happy that their young people are excluded from a system that keeps them on track and engaged with society because of a line on the map.

Fremantle and West Coast have suggested a solution, that would be for every indigenous young player in WA to be in the NGA system but the WA sides won't have bid matching rights for the players if they are bid on before #30. Which will protect the AFL from the Eagles and Dockers adding Lance Franklin to their side every year, which is the fear, but the cost of the second round pick value player being lost is worth it to engage even more young footballers - which is the intention of the NGA system.

I would think Essendons inner city zone is similar to ours, but then they get the Tiwi Islands and heaps of the NT.
Similar to the Pies
North get a big inner city chunk and Tas
Look at how much the Hawks have been given too

With young guys starting to get drafted through this system, our tiny slice of the pie has all the hallmarks of us being disadvantaged for years to come

Does Carlton have access to indigenous players in the Melbourne metro area under the NGA academy system?

The WA clubs don't have access to indigenous talent within the Perth Metro Area.
We do, but our zone is exclusively that of the Northern Knights in the TAC (ie. the Northern Football League). That's how we have first rights on Ethan Penrith and the Wild brothers. That being said, the indigenous population in each state is somewhat different as well.

WA teams split a state, albeit with caveats as you mentioned. Some of the Victorian clubs have split up all of NT (which is about 30% indigenous), while North Melbourne have all of Tasmania and half of the Western Jets (probably the most bountiful area for first-gen Aussies from non-English backgrounds).

The AFL usually get an economist involved in these kinds of moves, so I'm sure once you look at the population statistics you start to see why each club got what they did, but I get the feeling those with a territory advantage will see larger benefits over time.

It's because the WA elite indigenous talent from the Perth Metro Area is already going to the AFL and it's not the intention of the NGA system to lock them in to WA teams at a discount.

It has created a storm over here though because community elders aren't happy that their young people are excluded from a system that keeps them on track and engaged with society because of a line on the map.

Fremantle and West Coast have suggested a solution, that would be for every indigenous young player in WA to be in the NGA system but the WA sides won't have bid matching rights for the players if they are bid on before #30. Which will protect the AFL from the Eagles and Dockers adding Lance Franklin to their side every year, which is the fear, but the cost of the second round pick value player being lost is worth it to engage even more young footballers - which is the intention of the NGA system.
I'd push for that to be rookie draft only (or 5th round onwards/Cat B if they abolish the rookie draft).

If I were the elders, I'd have a few more issues with an academy program that abbreviates to 'NGA'.

I would think Essendons inner city zone is similar to ours, but then they get the Tiwi Islands and heaps of the NT.
Similar to the Pies
North get a big inner city chunk and Tas
Look at how much the Hawks have been given too

With young guys starting to get drafted through this system, our tiny slice of the pie has all the hallmarks of us being disadvantaged for years to come
The Tiwi Islands has a (mostly indigenous) population of 3,000, while all of NT has an indigenous population of about 62,000.

Essendon also get the Calder Cannons zone. Remember, one parent has to be born overseas in a non-English speaking country for them to be eligible, so it's not like everyone can just go and grab the kids of Italian and Greek ex-pats, mostly because they're all in their 40s. ;)

North got the metropolitan part of the Western Jets, while the Dogs got the rest. Pretty sure the rest follows TAC zones.

Do we have the rights to Penrith given we didn’t draft him last year?

Any chance we take Brazier as a rookie or are we more likely to invite him to join the Northern Blues in 2019, as we did with Penrith this year? Arr0w

I doubt we will add Brazier or Penrith, think there are better options that will be available in the rookie draft.

If you look at our phantom draft, not that many recycled players were selected and I believe many clubs will select these guys late in the draft, leaving some interesting prospects for the rookie draft

Do we have the rights to Penrith given we didn’t draft him last year?

Any chance we take Brazier as a rookie or are we more likely to invite him to join the Northern Blues in 2019, as we did with Penrith this year? Arr0w
We have first right of refusal for the first time they are bid on, which hasn't happened yet.

I doubt we will add Brazier or Penrith, think there are better options that will be available in the rookie draft.

If you look at our phantom draft, not that many recycled players were selected and I believe many clubs will select these guys late in the draft, leaving some interesting prospects for the rookie draft
They're category B rookies if pre-listed, so it doesn't impact the rookie draft beyond their name being read out.

haven't seen this come up for a year or two, fair question though - a handful of suburbs seems a bit skinny compared to some other clubs

I feel you and many are underselling our zone or simply haven't checked what it encompasses. As far as im aware our zone encompasses the whole Northern Knights TAC cup zone which incorporates many suburbs and many of these suburbs have experienced very strong population growth over the last 5 years especially.

A lot of these suburbs have a large multicultural population which hopefully in time will come through the ranks.

Hopefully the club is taking the zone seriously.

Fremantle and West Coast have suggested a solution, that would be for every indigenous young player in WA to be in the NGA system but the WA sides won't have bid matching rights for the players if they are bid on before #30

Whats the response to this? I would still be sceptical with this arrangement as its easily manipulated to appear players aren't as developed as they are but its a good starting point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats the response to this? I would still be sceptical with this arrangement as its easily manipulated to appear players aren't as developed as they are but its a good starting point.
I don't know what the response is, if there is one officially but that proposal would mean none of the NGA players out of WA could have matched bids inside pick #30. Whether they are metro or waaaaaaay deep country. It is giving up a substantial list management tool to keep more WA indigenous talent engaged with football, so I think it's worth it.

I don't know what the response is, if there is one officially but that proposal would mean none of the NGA players out of WA could have matched bids inside pick #30. Whether they are metro or waaaaaaay deep country. It is giving up a substantial list management tool to keep more WA indigenous talent engaged with football, so I think it's worth it.
Oh! I misread this before.

I'd actually prefer there to be total incentive for developing regional talent, and far less for metro.

Sorry guys I am little confused as to how our NGA actually works.

İs it an actual academy with resources, training, coaching, mentoring etc

Does our NGA actually have a role in developing these young kids into footballers?

And if it does, how much does it have in the way of resources?

How does that compare to, let's say, Sydney's academy?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry guys I am little confused as to how our NGA actually works.

İs it an actual academy with resources, training, coaching, mentoring etc

Does our NGA actually have a role in developing these young kids into footballers?

And if it does, how much does it have in the way of resources?

How does that compare to, let's say, Sydney's academy?

Ok.

Yes.

Yes.

Self-resourced, with the reward being the draft access.

The same.

Thanks.

So, would pouring more money into it yield better results?

IMO our academy will be a slow burner for a few years until the onfield results create a bit more of a financial snowball through membership etc. We need to keep pace football department wise presently, so the wafer gets spread a little thin for large spending in our given zone. We do have a nice area to work with though.

Thanks.

So, would pouring more money into it yield better results?

I don't know what we're investing compared to other clubs, but it is interesting to see how much value the Dogs and Collingwood are getting out of their systems. That being said, the issue may lie with Nothern's talent ID rather than our own, as they've had some problems for a while.

I should note I'm merely comparing our development work with that of the NEAFL-aligned clubs from the perspective of indigenous and first-generation kids, their academies obviously have a much broader purview to encourage local development.

This is our region http://nthknights.com.au/our-region/

And if you look at the demographics changes at council of Whittlesea, Darebin, Banyule, Shire of Nillumbik and Yarra will see the region work for us.

We even got the suburb Collingwood under our jurisdiction. :cool:

But you know - its a good little spot in Victoria for the future.

This is our region http://nthknights.com.au/our-region/

And if you look at the demographics changes at council of Whittlesea, Darebin, Banyule, Shire of Nillumbik and Yarra will see the region work for us.

We even got the suburb Collingwood under our jurisdiction. :cool:

But you know - its a good little spot in Victoria for the future.
The challenge will be making sure enough of the eligible youngsters in the region are playing Aussie Rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back