Next Generation academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you remember how many of Ross Gibbs games ended up being pre-season?
Nah, but the simple maths to be eligible was 1983 to 1990 = 8 seasons x 25 eligible games per year = 200, which meant Glenelg had to play at least 3 finals a year for all 8 years but they missed 1983 finals. IIRC in one of those 8 seasons they played 26 games ie all 4 weeks of the finals.

My guess is Borlase would have had to have played about 225 games by 31st October 1996 for his son to be eligible under the F-S rules.

Just my flawed research show he was award SANFL life membership in 1997. SANFL life membership is to a player who has played football for the League Team of a League Club or League Clubs in not less than ten seasons and have participated in a minimum number of 200 League matches.
My assumption is he played his 200th SANFL game in 1997
upload_2018-5-1_13-37-28.png
http://sanfl.com.au/player-life-members/

Just my flawed research show he was award SANFL life membership in 1997. SANFL life membership is to a player who has played football for the League Team of a League Club or League Clubs in not less than ten seasons and have participated in a minimum number of 200 League matches.
My assumption is he played his 200th SANFL game in 1997
View attachment 490797
http://sanfl.com.au/player-life-members/
200 Club Members was brought in, in the 1960's as a way to give some benefits to players, a bit of a pension fund, not much, but WAFL, SANFL and VFL all introduced one in the 1960's. 200 games included games in the premiership season + night series/preseason games + state games.

Edit - the VFL and WAFL kept the club games between premiership and preseason games separate, but the SANFL blended them together, and thats why the mistake was made in 2001 when the AFL meet to make rules for the SANFL and WAFL games played in those 2 comps.

VFL Life membership was always 300 premiership season games which had added benefits over 200 Club Members. The AFL Life membership rules 10-15 years ago was changed to include in the 300 - premiership season games + night/preseason games + state games + international rules series games. Then a few years ago they added up playing totals and coaching totals so if you got to 300 games you were included. Life membership now means 2 free tickets to the GF.

Borlase had played 177 games according to the 1995 SANFL GF Budget I dug up, and he didnt play in the GF. Port played 26 eligible games in 1996, so given he played 10 years of Foundation Cup games between 1985 and 1994, it looks like he probably played about 180 eligible games by 31/10/1996 and isn't an eligible father under AFL rules, and son James will have a choice to join your NGA if offered a spot.

Last edited:
200 Club Members was brought in, in the 1960's as a way to give some benefits to players, a bit of a pension fund, not much, but WAFL, SANFL and VFL all introduced one in the 1960's. 200 games included games in the premiership season + night series/preseason games + state games.

Edit - the VFL and WAFL kept the club games between premiership and preseason games separate, but the SANFL blended them together, and thats why the mistake was made in 2001 when the AFL meet to make rules for the SANFL and WAFL games played in those 2 comps.

VFL Life membership was always 300 premiership season games which had added benefits over 200 Club Members. The AFL Life membership rules 10-15 years ago was changed to include in the 300 - premiership season games + night/preseason games + state games + international rules series games. Then a few years ago they added up playing totals and coaching totals so if you got to 300 games you were included. Life membership now means 2 free tickets to the GF.

Borlase had played 177 games according to the 1995 SANFL GF Budget I dug up, and he didnt play in the GF. Port played 26 eligible games in 1996, so given he played 10 years of Foundation Cup games between 1985 and 1994, it looks like he probably played about 180 eligible games by 31/10/1996 and isn't an eligible father under AFL rules, and son James will have a choice to join your NGA if offered a spot.
How come you never looked into Brett Ebert's F/S eligibility as you did Bryce Gibbs.

If it wasn't for you alerting Rucci about Ross Gibbs and the calculation error the SANFL made Bryce would most likely have played over 200 games for us now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

How come you never looked into Brett Ebert's F/S eligibility as you did Bryce Gibbs.

If it wasn't for you alerting Rucci about Ross Gibbs and the calculation error the SANFL made Bryce would most likely have played over 200 games for us now.

The worst part is the 200 game player we chose with the lost 3rd round father/son pick that year - Dmac

The worst part is the 200 game player we chose with the lost 3rd round father/son pick that year - Dmac
Any time you get a 200 game player with a 3rd round pick is a win. A huge win. There aren't many players picked after him who have been better, excluding the Geelong & Sydney F/S selections.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you mean? I initially in April 2005 said Ebert only just scrapped in, and then maybe 6-8 weeks later people asked about Martin Leslie's boys, and I then said I had rechecked the figures and I don't think Ebert qualified and people didn't believe me and said that cant be right, the AFL couldn't possibly stuff that up. We started a debate and that's when the Gibbs question arose, because the media talk was how good he was, as it was U/18 champs time and a couple of people started believing that I was right.

If you reckon I rang Rucci and told him then you are kidding yourself. I was living in Sydney so I wasn't going to cold call him about this. IIRC Ford Fairlane started a thread on your board asking if you guys knew for sure about Gibbs, because I had raised the Ebert issue and was still arguing that he didnt qualify and not everybody was convinced I was right.

Any time you get a 200 game player with a 3rd round pick is a win. A huge win. There aren't many players picked after him who have been better, excluding the Geelong & Sydney F/S selections.

Ironically Robbie Gray and Justin Westhoff the ones that stand out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back