Next Generation academy

Remove this Banner Ad

So Tariek is the explosive mid you have alluded to in the past? any thing else you can tell us about him? Looks like he knows where the goals are:
Yes and sounds like he has found his way to Adelaide which is great. Looks like he has played more in Adelaide than I had been led to believe, but thats him.

I know he comes form a strong family - mum very keen to encourage kids on the right path and very supportive.

I also know there was a guy called 'Buddy' Newchurch (must be a relative you would think) who lived in Whyalla back in the late 70's/early 80's. Elite athlete who at 16 was spotted playing soccer and was given a 3 month trial in England with Chelsea. Not surprisingly the young Indigenous lad found the time difficult being entirely by himself in England, but from all accounts he did well. Sadly Buddy was murdered in '82.

What I do know is that one of the best recruiters going around thinks this kid is going to be very, very special.

Hopefully he is playing league SANFL by the end of the year and showing he can play mid as well as forward.

I may be reading too much into it, but I got the sense from the way Ogilvie spoke about our “F/s and NGA” options that it is more than likely Edwards will nominate us.
Certainly sounds like that. If all 3 come on as expected and we manage to avoid bids until a bit later in the draft, 2020 could be a BUMPER draft period.

Certainly sounds like that. If all 3 come on as expected and we manage to avoid bids until a bit later in the draft, 2020 could be a BUMPER draft period.
Fingers crossed although I’m sure the AFL will find a way of screwing us, for example a new rule that you can only take one F/S or NGA player per draft.

I may be reading too much into it, but I got the sense from the way Ogilvie spoke about our “F/s and NGA” options that it is more than likely Edwards will nominate us.
Hamish does say of these 3:
Can we get them all, who knows? How well they're going to play next year ... there're still some unknowns.

So I think it's not certain Edwards will nominate us.

At least we might have picks to get them at this stage (including using 2021 picks). If we end up near bottom of the table and nothing's happening on the Luko front, our r1 pick might give us a shot at Thilthorpe and we can still get our FS & Academy players.

gallagher swing.gif gallagher swing.gif [1.5mb]

Last edited:
Well the way we are trading into next year certainly indicates that the club is very bullish on it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I absolutely think we need to attack this years draft, and agree we should look at trading out any 2020 1st rounders.
Our 2020 1st rounder should be shopped as a Top 6 pick.
The GWS 2020 pick is a bit more difficult as it could end up anywhere from Pick 10 to a Pick in the early 20's..

If Melb don't look like they want to Pick swap with GWS, then GWS should assume Melb will bid on Green. We should absolutely make a play for their Pick 6 in that case.

Luko for 2021 1st
Grundy as RFA (Pies take compo)
Back end picks for NGA/FS

Bolded quoted for Nostradamus-ness

I absolutely think we need to attack this years draft, and agree we should look at trading out any 2020 1st rounders.
Our 2020 1st rounder should be shopped as a Top 6 pick.
The GWS 2020 pick is a bit more difficult as it could end up anywhere from Pick 10 to a Pick in the early 20's..

If Melb don't look like they want to Pick swap with GWS, then GWS should assume Melb will bid on Green. We should absolutely make a play for their Pick 6 in that case.

Luko for 2021 1st
Grundy as RFA (Pies take compo)
Back end picks for NGA/FS
Hang on, you think GWS could be as low as 10 and yet you’re prepared to trade it for 19??

And from Connor Rozee, Jared Rivers and "Mutineer" country....Port Augusta. :moustache:

Already playing against the men in the Spencer Gulf League for West Augusta including B.O.G. against Centrals in June.

Also played in the U21's curtain raiser between Port Augusta and Port Pirie before the pre-season "Showdown" in Pirie.

Photo from the U15 Championships.

1574308029019.png

Last edited:
Borlase... Edwards... Newchurch. Three names we will be mumbling in our sleep for the next 12 months. :D
3 guns on the cheap. GWS first for Edwards, Dogs or our second for Borlase and other second for Newchurch. Other picks could be used to make up any higher bids.

Leaves us our first to try and trade for Lukosius.

3 guns on the cheap. GWS first for Edwards, Dogs or our second for Borlase and other second for Newchurch. Other picks could be used to make up any higher bids.

A poster on the GC board stating Lukoisus contract extension to be announced public next week or words to that effect

3 prospective guns on the cheap. GWS first for Edwards, Dogs or our second for Borlase and other second for Newchurch. Other picks could be used to make up any higher bids.

EFA
Think you need to 'temper' your expectations just a little re Borlase and Newchurch just yet...unless your definition of "guns" is different to mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back